NCLH changes effective Sept 3: no Covid test req'd for vaccinated

WESTEAST

NCLH updates as of September 3rd sailings (Norwegian, Regent and Oceania cruises):  no pre-cruise Covid testing required for vaccinated and unvaccinated guests allowed with negative test:

"...sailings starting on or after Sept. 3, 2022, means that vaccinated guests aged 12 and over will no longer have any pre-cruise COVID-19 related protocols. And unvaccinated guests may embark with a negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours prior to departure, subject to local regulations....".  NCLH notes that “requirements may differ for guests traveling on voyages departing from or visiting destinations with specific local regulations, including but not limited to Canada, Greece and Bermuda.”

https://www.travelweek.ca/news/nclh-drops-vaccination-requirements-effective-sept-3-2022-for-fully-vaccinated-guests/

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

The testing requirements for cruises departing or visiting Canada are unlikely to change this year. Maybe next Spring.

From what I have read there is no test required for visiting Canada...just for departing. Unless you have seen something different.

7 minutes ago, CaptainBazz said:

From what I have read there is no test required for visiting Canada...just for departing. Unless you have seen something different.

This has been a requirement ever since Canada re-opened its waters to cruising this spring:

1982642240_ScreenShot2022-08-08at3_47_14PM.thumb.png.82cdf5505910cbb60aac787604b2160b.pnghttps://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise#boarding-excursions

28 minutes ago, ByThePond said:

With the risk-adverse approach being taken by the federal government, I do not expect any change until the 2023 cruising season. 

I don't think it is a 'risk-adverse approach'...after all you don't need a test to enter Canada by Air, Land or Sea...yet you do to visit if you are on a cruise ship?? Canada stopped testing back in April and thousands have entered the country without a test versus a few hundred (at most) on a cruise ship...not sure what the Government's logic is here. In the nicest way I hope you are wrong.

Edited by CaptainBazz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CaptainBazz said:

I don't think it is a 'risk-adverse approach'...after all you don't need a test to enter Canada by Air, Land or Sea...yet you do to visit if you are on a cruise ship?? Canada stopped testing back in April and thousands have entered the country without a test versus a few hundred (at most) on a cruise ship...not sure what the Government's logic is here. In the nicest way I hope you are wrong.

The GOC's logic is that a week or more spent aboard a cruise ship exposes passengers to a greater risk of transmission of the virus and subsequent infection than does a few hours spent on a plane. 

• Like 3

The GOC's logic is that a week or more spent aboard a cruise ship exposes passengers to a greater risk of transmission of the virus and subsequent infection than does a few hours spent on a plane. 

And of course that logic makes no sense as you test to get on, not to get off 😂

1 hour ago, CaptainBazz said:

One tests to get on to reduce the number of actively infected people boarding. Given the petri dish that is a cruise ship it strikes me as a good idea. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CaptainBazz said:

Actually, it makes great sense. Far better to close the barn door before the horses run away.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, broberts said:

One tests to get on to reduce the number of actively infected people boarding. Given the petri dish that is a cruise ship it strikes me as a good idea. 

I agree that that is the idea...but if you test 2 days before embarkation...cruise for 10 days mixing with people in different ports...then arrive home in Canada and do not need to test to get off then where is the logic? You could have caught covid at any time after you were tested...so how is that stopping covid coming back into Canada?

In the US you can get on a ship with no test (after 9/3) and come back to the US and still not need to test...and they have way more cruises than we do in Canada. Again...where is the logic?

23 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Actually, it makes great sense. Far better to close the barn door before the horses run away.

If you have 'closed the barn door before the horses run away' then why are people catching covid? Testing does not stop people catching covid and testing does not stop people bringing covid on the ship. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CaptainBazz said:

If you have 'closed the barn door before the horses run away' then why are people catching covid? Testing does not stop people catching covid and testing does not stop people bringing covid on the ship. 

There's no perfect solution that will guarantee no incidence of COVID aboard a cruise ship, but testing passengers embarkation provides a means by which we can minimize the opportunity for the virus to come on board.

Being fully vaccinated and having 2 booster shots doesn't guarantee that you won't catch the virus, but it reduces the probability. I'd hate to think how much worse things might have been in Canada had the GOC adopted the attitude that vaccinations don't guarantee immunity, so let's not bother with them at all.

• Like 1

A friend got covid  last week  visiting  a car show 

so do you need to be tested every time you leave the house  or go to an event, shopping etc..?

Covid is still around

• Like 1

I'd hate to think how much worse things might have been in Canada had the GOC adopted the attitude that vaccinations don't guarantee immunity, so let's not bother with them at all.

I agree...but that is not what we were discussing...we were discussing the logic behind having to test to get on a ship in Canada when you do not have to if you are in the US (after 9/3). For example...I am going on the Bliss, Seattle round trip to Alaska. Because we stop in Victoria I must take a covid test to board...the Americans have to test as well...but they could fly to Victoria and not need to test...so I am looking for the logic in this...and I don't think there is any.

27 minutes ago, CaptainBazz said:

I agree...but that is not what we were discussing...we were discussing the logic behind having to test to get on a ship in Canada when you do not have to if you are in the US (after 9/3). For example...I am going on the Bliss, Seattle round trip to Alaska. Because we stop in Victoria I must take a covid test to board...the Americans have to test as well...but they could fly to Victoria and not need to test...so I am looking for the logic in this...and I don't think there is any.

The logic is the voyage. If you don't accept that it is a fundamentally different environment from an aircraft, you will never understand the logic behind the regulation.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, broberts said:

The logic is the voyage. If you don't accept that it is a fundamentally different environment from an aircraft, you will never understand the logic behind the regulation.

If the logic is the voyage then why do the US and other countries not have testing...oh wait...they did but they cancelled that requirement...so that decision was not logical?

11 minutes ago, CaptainBazz said:

If the logic is the voyage then why do the US and other countries not have testing...oh wait...they did but they cancelled that requirement...so that decision was not logical?

Each country has set and adjusted its requirements based on multiple factors. While the US may not require tests come September, when comparing the COVID statistic for the US vs Canada, I wouldn't be so quick to use the US as the example upon which to base decisions. Canada's more cautious approach has had definite benefits over the course of the pandemic.

From a practical point of view, the Canadian cruise season ends just a few weeks later, and the GOC can re-evaluate its cruise requirements over the course of the winter.

• Like 3

I fully support Covid  vaccinations and boosters.  I believe the Federal Governments has for the most done a very good job of protecting Canadians.  However the protocols that continue to be in place now are nothing but Covid theatre.

Testing to get on a cruise ship is useless.  Most people are using a proctored raped antigen test to comply with the requirement.  We have been told by our governments on numerous occasions that antigen tests, especially if you test negative, are inaccurate.  So really what is the point, let alone the timing on when you need to test to board.

It is a significantly elevated risk to go on a cruise due to the possibility of catching Covid.  Anyone cruising should be well aware of this.  To expect testing or vaccinations to reduce that risk is foolish.

For those who accept the risk to cruise testing is an annoyance and added expense, nothing more.

Looking forward to my third cruise since the pandemic in September and will be very happy when RCCL removes testing for cruises longer than 7 days.