Skagway’s Haines Wilderness Odyssey by Jet Boat-Review

greeneyedancr89139

We just got back from our RCL cruise and wanted to review our excursions. I think most cruise lines have the same excursions so this should be pretty universal.

We had about an hour before we had to meet our guides down by the pier so we were able to hit up a store or two in Skagway. The one thing I dislike about cruise line excursions is the waiting. We couldn’t find our guide right away and then when we did, we had to wait about 20 minutes while everyone gathered and filled out waivers. We were then led to another line and waited another 20 minutes to board the ferry. The ferry ride was about 45 minutes to Haines. It is the same channel that we just drove up on the cruise ship but we got a bit of a narrative tour of the water fall names. 

Once we arrived in Haines we boarded a bus and drove about 30 minutes outside of town maybe a bit longer due to construction. Our bus driver was a great guide and told us lots of good information about the area. You could tell she really enjoyed her job. We arrived at the jet boat location and had about 10 minutes to use the bathroom and put on our layers. They did provide rain jackets, ear muffs, and gloves. I didn’t know this before hand so I came prepared with our own things. The kids had to put on their life jackets and then we were told where to sit. Luckily, we got the front. We cruised around the glacier run off while our guide told us about the tree life and other information. The weather was beautiful out so we shed a few layers. We were able to see an eagle and a couple moose. After almost 2 hours we went back and had about 10 minutes before we had to leave. They provided a packaged lunch of a chicken wrap, chips, and oreos. Our bus ride back was informative again. We had a few extra minutes our bus driver gave us a little tour of Haines before we loaded up on the ferry again to go back to Skagway. 
6710AB01-27C2-48D2-B755-231A91FFE029.thumb.jpeg.c91dbc1d5abd13992143b21a974325a2.jpegCC0ABC04-160A-4339-833F-0C3730BF48C3.thumb.jpeg.c5849e2754ca340fd9cf5bdcb696bfcb.jpeg41542880-6F87-4B62-A4E1-5F869CDE5527.thumb.jpeg.41ce11e822456a8fcebe415fa597058a.jpeg

I was really looking forward to this excursion. I enjoyed it but it was a lot of traveling. The kids were getting restless and hungry by the end. I was very excited to get to see Haines and hope to explore it a bit more in the future as it is less touristy than Skagway.

Maybe your next Alaska itinerary will include Haines. You get a better feel for small town living in Alaska today.  There is a wildlife/rescue center run by Steve Kroschel which is both educational and entertaining.  Good for kids and adults. 

Thanks for your report.