Discover Cape Cod- Cancelled!

KATHYMAC68

I was just emailed that my shore excursion on Royal Caribbean “Discover Cape Cod” was cancelled due to a “Change in Plans”.

What does that mean???

So now I’m in search of a new excursion NOT THROUGH ROYAL.

I got to Boston twice a year so we were looking for something different to experience there.

We’ve done Salem, Plymouth. Would love to book something else for Cape Cod. 

Please help! I’m so disappointed….

29 minutes ago, KATHYMAC68 said:

I was just emailed that my shore excursion on Royal Caribbean “Discover Cape Cod” was cancelled due to a “Change in Plans”.

What does that mean???

Ask that question on the Royal Caribbean board. It's their excursion and their wording.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

Ask that question on the Royal Caribbean board. It's their excursion and their wording.

I will do that.

I’m here because I’m looking for a new excursion to Cape Cod.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

IMHO, I wouldn't risk going to Cape Cod on a port stop, unless on a ship's excursion. 

What would you suggest doing? It shows almost all the excursions are sold out through Royal. 
Are there local tour guide companies like in the Caribbean?

• Like 1

We're in the same situation - I emailed shorex@ but no response, called our planner but she hadn't heard, called customer support but they had no info, DMed on Twitter but no reply. 

We just booked an 8 30am round trip on the Boston to Provincetown ferry. 90 minutes, great town, should be fun. So right now that's an option. 

5 minutes ago, Susan G. said:

We're in the same situation - I emailed shorex@ but no response, called our planner but she hadn't heard, called customer support but they had no info, DMed on Twitter but no reply. 

We just booked an 8 30am round trip on the Boston to Provincetown ferry. 90 minutes, great town, should be fun. So right now that's an option. 

It’s not even available on Royals website anymore. 
I think I may do the same, but the other posters are making me a little worried about being so far away from the ship on our own.

All I think of is what if something happens and we can’t get back on time?!?!  

I would NOT go to Cape Cod if you are in Boston for one day. I would almost guarantee that you’ll miss the ship. Man, as a seasoned cruiser and live in Boston, the thought of that gives me the willies. Traffic alone is a reason that you’ll watch the ship head out of port as you sit in a car at “the bridge”.

And unless you have the perfect Ptown ferry, you’ll pass the ship as it heads out to sea.  

Not recommended. And if you were super cautious, then what are you going to see anyway?  Not enough time. 

20 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

I would NOT go to Cape Cod if you are in Boston for one day. I would almost guarantee that you’ll miss the ship. Man, as a seasoned cruiser and live in Boston, the thought of that gives me the willies. Traffic alone is a reason that you’ll watch the ship head out of port as you sit in a car at “the bridge”.

And unless you have the perfect Ptown ferry, you’ll pass the ship as it heads out to sea.  

Not recommended. And if you were super cautious, then what are you going to see anyway?  Not enough time. 

I don't understand the bolded.  The 3PM ferry from PTown gets to Boston at 4:35PM

48 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

I don't understand the bolded.  The 3PM ferry from PTown gets to Boston at 4:35PM

Yeah, I didn't bother looking up the ferry schedule.  Or the day they were traveling.  Which is why I was a little vague.

Edited by Sox Fan Cruiser

One thing to be aware of is if the seas are too rough, they use buses rather than ferries. I've gone down for the day and had to take the bus back, which will take substantially longer. Obviously, this isn't an all the time problem, but worth checking the forecast.

24 minutes ago, KATHYMAC68 said:

I think I will pass then on Cape Cod… 

Any suggestions for something out of the ordinary that will keep me local?

What sorts of stuff are you interested in? And what day of the week and for how long?

1 hour ago, Rubyfisch said:

What sorts of stuff are you interested in? And what day of the week and for how long?

Saturday 7-7

We go to Boston twice a year. So we’ve done all the tours and aquarium. We’ve been to China Town and Little Italy many times.
We love to sight-see and love history. 
It would have to be something out of the ordinary. I think we have seen everything in Boston.

Have you been to the Harvard Museum of Natural History to see the glass flowers (among other things)? We took friends from out of town a few years ago and really enjoyed it. And then maybe go to Davis Square for a late lunch.

Have you been to Gloucester? You could rent a car (there is a Budget maybe 15 minutes from the port although it closes at 4 and not sure if you can drop the car off after that). You could go to the beach and/or Hammond Castle and/or Halibut Point State Park and/or the Peabody Essex Museum.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rubyfisch said:

Have you been to the Harvard Museum of Natural History to see the glass flowers (among other things)? We took friends from out of town a few years ago and really enjoyed it. And then maybe go to Davis Square for a late lunch.

Have you been to Gloucester? You could rent a car (there is a Budget maybe 15 minutes from the port although it closes at 4 and not sure if you can drop the car off after that). You could go to the beach and/or Hammond Castle and/or Halibut Point State Park and/or the Peabody Essex Museum.

Thank you for those suggestions. I’m going to look into the car rental. The castle sounds interesting too.

On 8/11/2022 at 11:02 PM, KATHYMAC68 said:

We go to Boston twice a year. * * * I think we have seen everything in Boston.

New York City is so close to Boston, and you regularly go to Boston multiple times each year. I would not think it to be worthwhile to try and go far from Boston, and entertain the risk of not getting back in time. Do those distant excursions when you're in Boston having traveled overland from New York City, and do not have that risk looming. As well, you might be able to integrate such distant sights with the overland itinerary. My suggestion would be to simply treat the port stop in Boston as simply a day in the City of Boston. As one might take the SIM1 express bus into midtown for the day, just treat it as a relaxing day without formal plans. Maybe get on the T and go out to some new neighborhood not visited before, and just walk around. As you noted yourself, you've already seen all the critical sights!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GTJ said:

New York City is so close to Boston, and you regularly go to Boston multiple times each year. I would not think it to be worthwhile to try and go far from Boston, and entertain the risk of not getting back in time. Do those distant excursions when you're in Boston having traveled overland from New York City, and do not have that risk looming. As well, you might be able to integrate such distant sights with the overland itinerary. My suggestion would be to simply treat the port stop in Boston as simply a day in the City of Boston. As one might take the SIM1 express bus into midtown for the day, just treat it as a relaxing day without formal plans. Maybe get on the T and go out to some new neighborhood not visited before, and just walk around. As you noted yourself, you've already seen all the critical sights!

Right now, as much as I hate to say it, I would not plan on taking the T. Too many closures, schedule changes, etc.

If leaving Boston, I wouldn't want to risk it if not on a ship's excursion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

Right now, as much as I hate to say it, I would not plan on taking the T. Too many closures, schedule changes, etc.

If leaving Boston, I wouldn't want to risk it if not on a ship's excursion.

The parts of the T that a tourist would use aren't really that badly affected (I say this is a nearly daily T commuter, including on the weekends as well). There no reason that someone should worry about taking the T to say, Harvard Square and back should be worried, particularly during the week. Just double check the T website for alerts and leave plenty of time to get back, which is just good common sense.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GTJ said:

I agree with you. We will walk around and have a light lunch at the Sail Loft, then maybe walk up to Boston Common and people watch for a bit. Then go have an early dinner in Little Italy and grab some cannolis for later.

I appreciate your suggestions. Thank you

• Like 1

My tour to Cape Cod was cancelled last week.  The Duck Tour was recommended , but unfortunately sold out.  So I ended up doing a hop on - hop off tour of downtown Boston.  Not Cape Cod, unfortunately, but will enable me to see the Boston highlights at my own pace. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...