Celebrity 5-star reviews of Celebrity West/East Mediterranean Cruises - What am I missing?

GreenFamily

I’m looking at Western/Eastern Mediterranean cruises in May 2024 and Celebrity seems like the best personality fit and has 5-star reviews.  I found one cruise, using 2023 search, that includes Villefranche and Malta, two places I really want to experience from a cruise. However, I just can’t get excited about Marseilles or La Spezia because those ports are too inconvenient from quintessential Provence and Florence. Cinque Terre with 3000-4000 people sounds awful. What am I missing? Is this a fabulous cruise? Should I book with Norwegian (Epic) which has great itineraries and suffer on the boat (drunken crowds, noise, uncomfortable beds, few public viewing areas)? 

2 minutes ago, GreenFamily said:

I’m looking at Western/Eastern Mediterranean cruises in May 2024 and Celebrity seems like the best personality fit and has 5-star reviews.  I found one cruise, using 2023 search, that includes Villefranche and Malta, two places I really want to experience from a cruise. However, I just can’t get excited about Marseilles or La Spezia because those ports are too inconvenient from quintessential Provence and Florence. Cinque Terre with 3000-4000 people sounds awful. What am I missing? Is this a fabulous cruise? Should I book with Norwegian (Epic) which has great itineraries and suffer on the boat (drunken crowds, noise, uncomfortable beds, few public viewing areas)? 

You are 100% correct about the distances of those ports.  That said you’ll find plenty to do and see even if you don’t venture to far IMO.  And again IMO for me, there is no comparison between NCL and Celebrity, Celebrity wins hands down.  Cruising for me is as much about the ship as it is the ports.  The vibe and ambiance of Celebrity, especially E-class, will win every time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have never been wild about most of the big boat Med cruises just because of where they dock in relation to where you want to visit. Everything is a 2-3 hour bus ride away which doesn't sound like any fun.

We were in Aix en Provence a few weeks ago on our own. There were no shortage of cruise pax wandering around on a guided tour (MSC).  

I dont know your budget but I would look at smaller boats that can go to smaller ports 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GreenFamily said:

I wouldn't get hung up about La Spezia being a bad option, I agree Florence is not convenient from this port (about 2 hours by car) but the Cinque Terre is beautiful and well worth the visit. Last time were there we took a 20min drive to Porto Venere (lovely village in its own right) and spent 1 1/2 to 2 hours there, then got on a boat that visits all of the villages (we stayed on but you get the great views approaching each one) and it ends at Monterosso al Mare where we wandered around, had lunch and then took a train journey back from Monterosso to La Spezia (20 mins)

One of our best trips that day !!

• Thanks 1

On 8/10/2022 at 10:29 AM, barneymag said:

I wouldn't get hung up about La Spezia being a bad option, I agree Florence is not convenient from this port (about 2 hours by car) but the Cinque Terre is beautiful and well worth the visit. Last time were there we took a 20min drive to Porto Venere (lovely village in its own right) and spent 1 1/2 to 2 hours there, then got on a boat that visits all of the villages (we stayed on but you get the great views approaching each one) and it ends at Monterosso al Mare where we wandered around, had lunch and then took a train journey back from Monterosso to La Spezia (20 mins)

One of our best trips that day !!

Agreed.  That sounds like a perfect way to see Cinque Terre from the cruise.  It is gorgeous.  Don't try and see them all.  Monterosso is the largest one, you can make it a beach day, eat at a gorgeous resto.  If you like hiking, spectacular and historic but do your homework first.  The train is convenient is quick and convenient.

• Thanks 1