FORCED DISEMBARKATION

Tablelamp

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

I'm a Canadian citizen with a right of return. At the time a negative test was required to board a plane to Canada.  Even if I'd tested positive I could not have been denied entry into Canada if I got to the border.

I did not realize that you were Canadian as your ID does not list your home.  Sorry.

DON

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I gather you have not been flying in recent weeks.  Trying to change a flight will often mean waiting for days to even get a seat on another flight.  And yeah, everyone on your flight will thank you for flying with a contagious disease.

Hank

I flew in early July and had no problem switching a flight on Air Canada out of London. 

Technically I'm not flying with a contagious disease only with unconfirmed symptoms that may or may not be that disease. With the prevalence of the latest Omicron variant it is quite likely someone on a flight is carrying the virus.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, K32682 said:

I flew in early July and had no problem switching a flight on Air Canada out of London. 

Technically I'm not flying with a contagious disease only with unconfirmed symptoms that may or may not be that disease. With the prevalence of the latest Omicron variant it is quite likely someone on a flight is carrying the virus.  

But you may have HUAD.

44 minutes ago, K32682 said:

The only reason your symptoms are unconfirmed is because you would refuse to test and confirm.

Sadly, you are correct that others on the flight will be carrying the virus, some not yet with symptoms, but sadly there will no doubt be others with symptoms with little regard for the health and safety of other pax.

I find this complete disregard for the health and safety of others deplorable.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The only reason your symptoms are unconfirmed is because you would refuse to test and confirm.

Sadly, you are correct that others on the flight will be carrying the virus, some not yet with symptoms, but sadly there will no doubt be others with symptoms with little regard for the health and safety of other pax.

I find this complete disregard for the health and safety of others deplorable.

It is not reasonable to insist people rush off and get a COVID test at the first sign of symptoms and voluntarily strand themselves for at least a week at their own expense to soothe the anxiety of complete strangers. 

Expect people to put their own interests ahead of those who fret about the "health and safety of others." Sanctimonious online name calling is unlikely to change their behavior. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, d9704011 said:

But you may have HUAD.

Human Use Antiseptic Drugs? 

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/drug-products/applications-submissions/guidance-documents/human-use-antiseptic-drugs.html

"The Human-Use Antiseptic Drugs (HUAD) guidance document applies to professional and commercial use antiseptic skin products..."

Edited by K32682

There are so many fact and falsehoods impacting everyone's reactions to this topic. 

We do know that you can  protect yourself by vaccinations, wearing a n95 medical grade mask, hand hygiene, and surface disinfecting. You can protect others the same way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, momofmeg said:

However, as I also said and if you read the NEWS you know this is true. all the major cruise lines have dropped the vaccination requirements.  The rest have dropped negative COVID tests.

However, if you choose not to cruise, then don't. No one is making you. Everyone should  make their own decision about that.

However, I do think anyone who cruises should make sure they buy good insurance for the what ifs. Because no matter how young and healthy you are, you never know. I have heard too many horror stories and WAY before COVID existed. Things happen out of our control

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, momofmeg said:

However, as I also said and if you read the NEWS you know this is true. all the major cruise lines have dropped the vaccination requirements.  The rest have dropped negative COVID tests.

I agree. Nothing in my short statement contracticted this.

However, if you choose not to cruise, then don't. No one is making you. Everyone should  make their own decision about that.

As someone who is currently booked on 6 cruises between now and February, I assure I feel able to cope with travel, including taking reasonable personal protection 

However, I do think anyone who cruises should make sure they buy good insurance for the what ifs. Because no matter how young and healthy you are, you never know. I have heard too many horror stories and WAY before COVID existed. Things happen out of our control

Totally agree...in fact the only point of disagreement is your statement that my conclusion is incorrect. But I respect your right to you opinion.

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

It is not reasonable to insist people rush off and get a COVID test at the first sign of symptoms and voluntarily strand themselves for at least a week at their own expense to soothe the anxiety of complete strangers. 

Expect people to put their own interests ahead of those who fret about the "health and safety of others." Sanctimonious online name calling is unlikely to change their behavior. 

Yes, it is reasonable.

It is reasonable to expect a human being to sacrifice themselves for the good of others. It has been happening in history since the beginning of mankind.

4 hours ago, K32682 said:

Most reasonable people expect you to have taken out travel insurance to cover the financial risk of potential quarantine. Therefore, the costs of quarantine are not at your own expense.

COVID is no different than many other communicable diseases and quarantine for those infected has been in force for many years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, K32682 said:

How true!  I love all the people who declare that they'd quarantine themselves at the first sign of a cough.  NO, you wouldn't, you just won't admit it.  Phony baloney.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I don't think anyone is suggesting voluntary quarantine at the first sign of a cough.  That is a gross exaggeration. By now anyone should know what symptoms are cause for concern.

It seems the message is personal responsibility is a thing of the past.   

• Like 1

Going back to the original post in this thread, being disembarked in a foreign port into a quarantine hotel for who-knows-how-long is a worry for me.  Even if I'm asymptomaic my being over 65 could be considered a risk factor for development of serious disease.  And if I'm in quarantine on board when the ship returns home, how to I get from the ship to my apartment if I'm still covid positive?  Do I have to use some medical transport service if no car service or taxi will take me?  

Yes, I'm selfish.  Better for me not to be sailing under these circumstances. 

But wouldn't this still be the case if you became ill while travelling independently on land out of your own country? IMO, even worse, because then I would have to find a hospital/quarantine hotel on my own, and make my own return travel arrangements, within each country's guidelines.

Personally, I will feel more comfortable about having a ship's doctor be involved in any decisions about my illness, and whether it can best be treated onboard, in a quarantine cabin, or at a hospital at a port we will be sailing to.  I've read a number of positive reports of cruise lines being involved in further contact and arrangements for passengers who were transferred ashore for medical reasons.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2022 at 12:59 PM, jsn55 said:

How true!  I love all the people who declare that they'd quarantine themselves at the first sign of a cough.  NO, you wouldn't, you just won't admit it.  Phony baloney.

It's easy to prattle on about "personal responsibility" and "sacrifice for the good of others" when it's someone else making the sacrifice. Perspectives change when it happens to you.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, K32682 said:

It's easy to prattle on about "personal responsibility" and "sacrifice for the good of others" when it's someone else making the sacrifice. Perspectives change when it happens to you.

For those only concerned about themselves, sadly I must agree with you.

However, from personal experience, when we had a communicable disease onboard a ship, it was an easy decision, once we had symptoms, to self-quarantine in the cabin and advise the medical centre of our actions.

It may have cost us a night in a dump of a Chinese quarantine hotel, with army guards armed with machine guns on each floor, but we have no qualms or regrets about our decision. Would we make the same decision again - most definitely yes.

So clearly, for many of us, the perspective does NOT change when it happens to us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

For those only concerned about themselves, sadly I must agree with you.

However, from personal experience, when we had a communicable disease onboard a ship, it was an easy decision, once we had symptoms, to self-quarantine in the cabin and advise the medical centre of our actions.

It may have cost us a night in a dump of a Chinese quarantine hotel, with army guards armed with machine guns on each floor, but we have no qualms or regrets about our decision. Would we make the same decision again - most definitely yes.

So clearly, for many of us, the perspective does NOT change when it happens to us.

DID this happen to you?  Or are you predicting how you would handle it?  Have you ever been in a Chinese hotel less than 5*?   I think the divider here is real 'symptoms of a communicable disease' vs an occasional cough that 'might' be the virus.

2 hours ago, BlueRiband said:

Going back to the original post in this thread, being disembarked in a foreign port into a quarantine hotel for who-knows-how-long is a worry for me.  Even if I'm asymptomaic my being over 65 could be considered a risk factor for development of serious disease.  And if I'm in quarantine on board when the ship returns home, how to I get from the ship to my apartment if I'm still covid positive?  Do I have to use some medical transport service if no car service or taxi will take me?  

Yes, I'm selfish.  Better for me not to be sailing under these circumstances. 

This is a perfect example for why I'd never be without emergency medical evacuation insurance.  Even if I didn't have to be evacuated, MedJet would assist me from the first moment and I'd have their full support in dealing with it all.   I agree with you ... it's an awful thought to be sick while on your own.

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2022 at 12:59 PM, jsn55 said:

First you exaggerate to the point of ridiculousness. Then  you call us liars? Nice. Really nice.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

DID this happen to you?  Or are you predicting how you would handle it?  Have you ever been in a Chinese hotel less than 5*?   I think the divider here is real 'symptoms of a communicable disease' vs an occasional cough that 'might' be the virus.

Affirmative, we were forced off a ship in 2008, after self-quarantine on board. Although we were on a B2B, the Chinese authorities forced us to disembark, along with many other pax.

Having travelled the World for 45 years, I have experienced many types of hotels and this one wasn't even 1*.

Having worked on cruise ships, I am well aware of cruise crud and the increase in coughing, even before COVID. However, if anyone is displaying symptoms, they should be tested and follow the isolation guidelines, if positive.

If you wish to travel during a pandemic, you should be accepting of this fact.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, K32682 said:

It has happened to us personally.  We followed the guidelines.  We covered the added cost because we didn't expect someone else to.   There are a whole bunch of honest people who don't use the "everyone does it" excuse.  

• Like 3