Arriving in Brooklyn

buchanan101

9 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Thanks - just looked at the first link to your blog - impressive that there was no one else on the ship when you took the photos!

The terminal is very close to Manhattan, especially compared with JFK. I think after splashing out for Queens Grill e can afford a cab 😉

We were all out on a guided tour. I spend an inordinate amount of time getting people free photographs 😂....

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2022/07/21/lady-eleganza-croatia-and-adriatic-maiden-season/

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, rafinmd said:

With Luggage Forward you will still pick up your bag in the usual place and take it through customs and the representative will be right at the terminal exit.  I did it on July 8.

Roy

Did you self disembark by any chance?  We’re wondering if they would be there that early.

1 hour ago, buchanan101 said:

It seems such a shame that the ship leaves the same day it arrives; made it unattractive for us...all that way and just a few hours in NY - I guess they've done the trade offs - it won't be earning much money if it sits there for 2 or 3 days. Wonder if they ever pop up to Boston for an overnight there and back to NY for people wanting a few days in NY and a cruise both ways... (Good move to do the tour through Cunard - means the ship has to wait for you...!)

Which crossing are you on?

There are several crossings where the QM2 does a New England / Canada side trip before the eastbound return crossing. [7 day Brooklyn, Boston, Halifax is typical for July; 14 day Brooklyn, Quebec round trip for fall foliage season] 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

It seems such a shame that the ship leaves the same day it arrives;

--------------------------------------------------

Wonder if they ever pop up to Boston for an overnight there and back to NY for people wanting a few days in NY and a cruise both ways...

On the 1st point, I can't say we agree. We flew there for 6 days at end of June. 4 days would have been quite enough!  On future round trips we'll go for lunch to take up the minimum time off ship required by immigration.

On the 2nd, it does. On 1st July this year it headed for Bar Harbor, Boston & Halifax for 7 days.  Our original plans for 2020, and then 2021, were to make use of that time to visit New York. On the final re-booking we decided to split them up to save one potential cancellation affecting other plans.

3 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

I think it's quicker now because there are egates?

No sign of any on June 30th this year. Non US Citizens/Canadian visitors all had to be face to face with an agent and have photo taken. First timers had prints taken as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheOldBear said:

There are several crossings where the QM2 does a New England / Canada side trip before the eastbound return crossing. [7 day Brooklyn, Boston, Halifax is typical for July; 14 day Brooklyn, Quebec round trip for fall foliage season] 

3 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

Ah yes, those New England trips are something to behold. I remember ours with a high degree of affection...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/03/21/queen-mary-2-grand-new-england-and-canadian-wonders-cruise/

105817317_QM2itinerary.thumb.jpg.5bab11dce1a3f9fddf20c9fb08d44bbe.jpg

That particular voyage was Captain Oprey's first in command.

6 hours ago, D&N said:

On the 1st point, I can't say we agree. We flew there for 6 days at end of June. 4 days would have been quite enough!  On future round trips we'll go for lunch to take up the minimum time off ship required by immigration.

On the 2nd, it does. On 1st July this year it headed for Bar Harbor, Boston & Halifax for 7 days.  Our original plans for 2020, and then 2021, were to make use of that time to visit New York. On the final re-booking we decided to split them up to save one potential cancellation affecting other plans.

No sign of any on June 30th this year. Non US Citizens/Canadian visitors all had to be face to face with an agent and have photo taken. First timers had prints taken as well.

Love New York. There for 8 days last time… an Indian summer in Nov 2016 which by coincidence we were there for Trump’s election.  Which was interesting…

Immigration; There is something at JFK.  I remember last time the process was semi-automated. I was ok because I’d been there before since 2008. Automated Passport Control - assume Brooklyn has the same. This is from BA website. 

“If you're arriving in JFK Terminal 7 and have a US or Canadian passport, a B1/B2 tourist visa or if you're travelling on the ESTA Visa Waiver Programme, you can use an Automated Passport Control (APC) kiosk to speed up your travel through immigration.

Instead of filling out a paper customs form, you can scan your passport, take a photograph, and answer a series of customs-related questions using the APC kiosk. Please then take your receipt and passport to a US Customs and Border Patrol officer to finalise your documents for entry into the USA.

• If you're travelling on an ESTA or a B1/B2 tourist visa you will need to have entered the USA at least once since 2008.

21 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

It seems such a shame that the ship leaves the same day it arrives; made it unattractive for us...all that way and just a few hours in NY - I guess they've done the trade offs - it won't be earning much money if it sits there for 2 or 3 days. Wonder if they ever pop up to Boston for an overnight there and back to NY for people wanting a few days in NY and a cruise both ways... (Good move to do the tour through Cunard - means the ship has to wait for you...!)

We are on the round trip crossing Aug 11th-25th 2023. The crossing to NewYork is Dance the Atlantic (English Royal Ballet)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gimpfacemctavish said:

We are on the round trip crossing Aug 11th-25th 2023. The crossing to NewYork is Dance the Atlantic (English Royal Ballet)

We are off in 62 days...

I think we are getting the RSC (performing parts of plays) and a gospel choir. Not at the same time...though that'd be interesting

Trying to persuade (tease) my OH that we can have dance lessons on board... 

12 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

Immigration; There is something at JFK. ....

“If you're arriving in JFK Terminal 7 and have a US or Canadian passport, a B1/B2 tourist visa or if you're travelling on the ESTA Visa Waiver Programme, you can use an Automated Passport Control (APC) kiosk to speed up your travel through immigration.

Direct flights Nice to JFK are usually only with Delta who use Terminal 4.

Although JFK info suggests "Returning ESTA" is a class that can use the faster gates, I saw no sign of that on the list. Other Nationalities, VISAs, ESTA were all signed to keep to right of 3 lanes and channelled into the main queuing area.

Perhaps going to New York early July wasn't the best time. Times Square was like Blackpool on steroids, and stinking of all the junk food trucks. I absolutely hated it. Although our hotel was a couple of blocks away, we needed to pass through the area to get to many restaurants that interested us.

We did enjoy all the sight-seeing though.

1 hour ago, Gimpfacemctavish said:

We're  also on that round trip crossing for the fourth time, with a few single trips thrown in.

Not sure about learning ballet though, at my age and weight!

30 minutes ago, D&N said:

Direct flights Nice to JFK are usually only with Delta who use Terminal 4.

Although JFK info suggests "Returning ESTA" is a class that can use the faster gates, I saw no sign of that on the list. Other Nationalities, VISAs, ESTA were all signed to keep to right of 3 lanes and channelled into the main queuing area.

Perhaps going to New York early July wasn't the best time. Times Square was like Blackpool on steroids, and stinking of all the junk food trucks. I absolutely hated it. Although our hotel was a couple of blocks away, we needed to pass through the area to get to many restaurants that interested us.

We did enjoy all the sight-seeing though.

I can imagine there are very few places that are a good swap for the South of France at that time of year.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

Wonder if they ever pop up to Boston for an overnight there and back to NY for people wanting a few days in NY and a cruise both ways...

They'd need to go to Canada (e.g., Halifax) between two NYC calls. There is a similar itinerary each year in early July.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I can imagine there are very few places that are a good swap for the South of France at that time of year.

1 hour ago, buchanan101 said:

In July? Both New York and south of France WAY too hot!!

It's actually fine here.

The coastal Alpes-Maritimes are surrounded by the sea, the Southern Alpes, hills of The Mercantour and The Esterel. Other than the unusual situation of a red hot wind coming from the west over the plains of the Var, the temperatures are reasonably moderate.

As long as you have air conditioning to fall back on when it gets too hot it's not a problem.

I would never live in Scotland again. I couldn't face a mild winter, let alone one with snow and ice.

The problem in New York was not the weather. It was how busy the tourist areas were with idiots trying to outdo each other in posing for the most outrageous selfies.

Plus the difficulty in finding palatable wine, and surprisingly the dearth of decent coffee.

For me there's no place that's a good swap for where we live at any time of year.

We think I might just about be ready for another 2 weeks on Queen Mary 2 in 2025, but even there after 2 weeks I'm just desperate to get home.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 8:08 AM, Cruise NH said:

Did you self disembark by any chance?  We’re wondering if they would be there that early.

No I did not but you can email them and let them know your estimated departure time.

Roy

I think that staying at a hotel anywhere near Times Square is not a good idea for most people. It’s awful. No one lived there it’s just tourists and not the best ones (not a Mecca of art or culture). It’s much like London in that you can stay in a central area that’s full of tourist attractions or say, in Marylebone at Durrants (our choice). 

On 8/18/2022 at 12:03 AM, Jacqueline said:

I think that staying at a hotel anywhere near Times Square is not a good idea for most people. It’s awful. No one lived there it’s just tourists and not the best ones (not a Mecca of art or culture). It’s much like London in that you can stay in a central area that’s full of tourist attractions or say, in Marylebone at Durrants (our choice). 

Stayed just off Times Square before - didn't find it a problem apart from the throng to get through at the end of the day. It's nice and central to go off in various directions, which we do - certainly don't hang around Times Square! Hope we aren't two of your "not the best ones"

It's a little better now that its been heavily pedestrianized. It still gets throngs but they're not confined to the narrower sidewalks. I've stayed there once (and generally pass through once per weekend trip to New York City). Now I stay somewhere calmer and/or cheaper but I can see the appeal for someone who hasn't spent much if any time in Manhattan.

On 8/17/2022 at 4:03 PM, Jacqueline said:

We stay in Times Square primarily because we are Broadway addicts and my husband has mobility issues, so we stay at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square because it's closer to more Broadway theaters than any other. (It's within 2 blocks of half of the theaters). In other cases, we wouldn't recommend the hotel as its overpriced and a basic early 80s hotel with nothing special rooms (and the UGLIEST carpets in the hallways in the world)

We DO recommend the Times Square area for first time tourists spending a day or two before a cruise simply because its midtown location is closest to many tourist sights with excellent subway connections. (And everyone should at least see Times Square)

Many overlook the arrival in Brooklyn and be more lay back and restful with very good hotels and many excellent restaurant in the area known as Downtown Brooklyn. Brooklyn Bridge Park is now developed and has ferry service to Manhattan at the different terminals along the East River. 

Fulton Street is a large area for shopping along with a bit of a distance Smith and Court Street with restaurant and bouquets. The area is also known as the location the movie "Moonstruck" was filmed.

Another area is Montague Street where you can also stroll to the Brooklyn Heights Promenade. You can view Lower Manhattan with the famous view of the Downtown Financial Skyscrapers and newly developed World Trade Center.

So to avoid the hussle and bussle of Manhattan there alternative in the same Boro of the Brooklyn Cruise terminal. 

Walk the few yards from the ship to the East River ferry dock. Hope the ferry, for the price a subway ticket, to East 34th Street Pier, then take a 10 minute taxi to Times Square. Or if you're inclined enjoy the 30 minute walk up East 37th street, turning right on Broadway.

Now you're a New Yorker!

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2022 at 7:39 AM, buchanan101 said:

Well, the crossing I left yesterday had about 2,050 passengers on board, of whom just 260 were returning on the eastbound.  Of those, some will be those wanting to stay on or near the ship, and others will be those making their own arrangements in NY for the day.  So the numbers taking Cunard's tour will be small, and I am not convinced more passengers would do a Transatlantic if the ship remained docked in NY for two or three days? So it would be dead time, whereas setting sail the same evening, Cunard is immediately earning from another 2,000+ passengers.

On 8/24/2022 at 8:45 PM, Canuker said:

Walk the few yards from the ship to the East River ferry dock. Hope the ferry, for the price a subway ticket, to East 34th Street Pier, then take a 10 minute taxi to Times Square. Or if you're inclined enjoy the 30 minute walk up East 37th street, turning right on Broadway.

Now you're a New Yorker!

Undoubtedly good advice, noting that on Sundays (the usual day that QM2 is in) those ferries run only hourly 

Edited by IB2

On 8/16/2022 at 7:39 AM, buchanan101 said:

Sadly, keeping fully on the go and fully loaded  is essential to profitable cruise ship operation.  There are too few people who would stay on board for two or three days to make it work.  It would be like a hotel planning to be empty.  Even if Cunard could market and sell TA's with three days in Brooklyn on turn-around, how many people would want to shuffle back to Red Hook every evening, rather than  stay in Manhattan.

• Like 1