Christmas decorations

Lonedaddy

Our last pre-covid cruise was on Regent which was over Christmas and New Year's.  The decorations were up and I know that everything looked lovely and in the holiday spirit, including a Menorah with a nightly lighting during Hanukkuh.  I wish I could help you out, but I honestly can't remember what they did (other than a balloon drop at mid-night.)  I'm really not that old, so I'm going to say that all the champagne must have clouded things a bit.  I just know "it" was very nice whatever "it" was.

• Like 1

My husband and I boarded the Splendor on Dec. 8, 2021 and the ship was already beautifully decorated for Christmas.  There were several Holiday celebrations  presented through out the 19day cruise.  One especially enjoyable celebration was a Christmas caroling session . While there was not a clergy member onboard, the Cruise Director did have a non denominational Christmas Eve and Christmas  Day service.  I do remember a lovely, festive Christmas dinner in Compass Rose, but do not remember what we ate!  We were not aboard for New Years, so, I cannot provide any New Years info.  I just remembered that there was a British film crew onboard early in the cruise.  This crew was aboard for the Splendor's Atlantic crossing and filmed the whole Christmas decorating process.  I am sure with a little digging one could still find the show on You Tube.  It was a very interesting program.

• Like 1

I've been on Voyager and Mariner for Christmas and / or New Years.    The decorations magically appear [ala Production Cast and others] nearly overnight  - soon after Thanksgiving.   Similarly a couple of days after Christmas the Christmas Green and Red 'faded' into New Years Silver, Black and Gold.  

Christmas and New Years dinners are usually heightened, but when you're already at Regent standards it's difficult to  point to one or two aspects that are noteworthy.  More caviar on appetizers?  Bigger prawns?  Champagne served tableside along with the usual fare?   

New Years Eve there was [ before COVID] a huge celebration in the Constellation Theatre.  Music, Dancing, Heavy PuuPuu's and Champagne.   During [post?] COVID the celebrations were disbursed throughout the different lounges to prevent overcrowding. [On Mariner nearly everyone went to the Horizon Lounge still]  Again PuuPuu's, music, dancing, champagne.  Very nice evenings both times.

The only improvement we felt could be made was to have a "Featured Artist' or Special Performance by a someone other than the Cruise Director or the Performance Cast.   Celine Dion?

Enjoy the cruise when you can do it.  It's a wonderful way to spend the holidays. 

22 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

When do they put up Christmas decorations on the ship

On our pre Christmas cruise on Explorer in 2018, it was on December 10, with each hotel department responsible for decorating their area of the ship.

The entertainment team took care of the big tree in the atrium: 

IMG_1210.thumb.jpg.652d3700af36b037b7ec99a8bde6dbae.jpg

23 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

do they do anything special for Christmas or NYE dinner?

Yes, some special and traditional dishes (but no haggis ☹️). Plus of course a party leading up to midnight on New Year's Eve.

In our experience the Holiday cruises have a special atmosphere on board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since we are the Christmas topic.  I can see being away for New Year’s Eve and if you don’t celebrate Christmas, but we will never on a cruise at  Christmas - I want to be home with my family.   Thoughts?  Mind you the decorations I would like!  

Just now, irishwitchy said:

Since we are the Christmas topic.  I can see being away for New Year’s Eve and if you don’t celebrate Christmas, but we will never on a cruise at  Christmas - I want to be home with my family.   Thoughts?  Mind you the decorations I would like!  

What if the adult family members joined you?

Our family come to us for Christmas on odd numbered years, even number they celebrate with spouses family. Been this way since the first child got married 30 years ago. We travel some on even numbered year Christmases and have travel over Christmas with whole family (15 of us, so not to often needless to say). But we like to cruise over Christmas and NY alone if with family!

I'm considering an Australian Christmas cruise partly inspired by Flossies Holiday cruise last year.  It looked like good fun.

I'm wondering

1) if there are a lot of kids on the cruise

2) If that because of the holidays excursions are more limited

https://www.rssc.com/cruises/EXP231222/summary?source=top results

many thanks.

22 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I'm wondering

1) if there are a lot of kids on the cruise

2) If that because of the holidays excursions are more limited

https://www.rssc.com/cruises/EXP231222/summary?source=top results

The key to projecting the number of, or even the presence of children onboard a Christmas / New Years cruise is looking at destination and length of the cruise.  A Caribbean cruise of 7 days out of Miami will have a much higher probability of extended families aboard than an 18 day Trans Panama cruise from coast to coast.

That said, you're not looking at a sizable number of children.  Most are properly behaved - most of the time.   Much like their Parents...

• Like 1