Obscure (weird) wine questions not found in search, D+ substitutions FOTS, boarding day terminal

SAmome

Cruising in Sept on FOTS out of Miami and want to call RCCL and make a wine selection for my "free" bottle.  Never great but usually not bad either; but I think I've read there is a lot of substituting going on.  Maybe it's more port specific than ship but from the list of options; anything to stay away from b/c the substitutions are really bad?  I normally drink Cabs and Sauvignon Blanc but I'm flexible.  Just on the off chance anyone has experience and a recommendation, thanks!

Also, some in our group like the idea of sparkling wine toast before even board the ship.  They have drink package so wouldn't mind using one of the bottles allowed past security.  We have an early boarding time of 10:30 so I do sort of expect extra time in terminal waiting around.  Is opening a bottle and sharing a bottle of bubbly even allowed in the terminal area?

Not so much wine related, but b/c I probably will haul two bottles on for the cabin so I won't check luggage, is there a place to stash luggage for awhile, like the corner of the D lounge?  I'm D+ if it matters.  I'm guessing no but if you have any tips or ideas; might do boarding day lunch but the others may want to go right to pool deck so that will be fun with luggage.

Thanks everyone!

amenities.png

2 hours ago, SAmome said:

Not so much wine related, but b/c I probably will haul two bottles on for the cabin so I won't check luggage, is there a place to stash luggage for awhile, like the corner of the D lounge?

That can work but you won't have your Seapass card with which to open the door.

On the wine question...we are usually red wine drinkers, but we order the Caliterra Sauvignon Blanc for our D+ wine.   In no way are we connoisseurs of white wine, but that one is tasty and light, and we both enjoy it.  I think it tastes like flowers smell (light, fresh, pleasant) and It doesn't bite my tonsils!  

Be cautious about leaving your carry-ons standing around unguarded since there's really no secure place.  Ours have all our essential and valuable stuff -  medicines, all our electronics, charging cords, jewelry, passports, cruise related receipts, my expensive cosmetics, etc., plus the wine we bring aboard.  I would not want to take a chance on losing mine!  If you carry electronics and valuables in yours, you may want to keep it with you.

Edited by foxgoodrich

17 hours ago, Biker19 said:

That can work but you won't have your Seapass card with which to open the door.

Oh wow, thanks, I totally pictured having my seapass card as I boarded.  For Oasis class ships I've gotten them from the room but didn't know that process had moved to all ships (or maybe it's by port?).  Anyway, I guess the check-in paperwork will work to start using vouchers and drinking package.  Thanks for the heads up.

17 hours ago, foxgoodrich said:

On the wine question...we are usually red wine drinkers, but we order the Caliterra Sauvignon Blanc for our D+ wine.    

Be cautious about leaving your carry-ons standing around unguarded since there's really no secure place.  

Thanks for the feedback and advice 👍

1 hour ago, SAmome said:

Anyway, I guess the check-in paperwork will work to start using vouchers and drinking package. 

That or cabin number. Yes, all ships moved to having Seapass cards at the cabin, not at pier check in.