Specialty Restaurants and Premium Drink Package

bbtondo

A friend of mine just got off a Med Cruise on the Riveria a few months ago.  She told me even though she had the Premium Drink Package that while dining at a Specialty Restaurant the alcohol drinks are not included.  She said she had to pay for all her alcohol drinks.  This is the four included specialties, not the extra charge ones.  I have never heard of this.  Is this true?  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

A friend of mine just got off a Med Cruise on the Riveria a few months ago.  She told me even though she had the Premium Drink Package that while dining at a Specialty Restaurant the alcohol drinks are not included.  She said she had to pay for all her alcohol drinks.  This is the four included specialties, not the extra charge ones.  I have never heard of this.  Is this true?  

It seems unlikely, unlimited means "without limit, wherever and whenever" and what you described is clearly and unambiguously a limit.

I can't comment on Privee, as our hosts there have always quietly picked up the bill for alcohol.  La  Reserve is always a wine pairing dinner, so the pairings are included in the extra price.  When La Reserve has a "wine and tapas evening"(not one of the dinners), the wines they poured were always included in our package.

The ONLY thing I can think of is that sake in Red Ginger is not included in the Prem. drinks package, and you will be charged.

Other than that, no extra charges for Polo, Toscana, Red Ginger or Jacques within the limits of the package.  Those charges should have been questioned, and if the answer was not "Oops.", then it should be escalated.

Edited by Kate-AHF
forgot Jacques

I appreciate everyone's response.  I questioned my friend about this and she was very exact. She said every specialty restaurant.  The only thing I can think of is the possibility that she only had the cheaper drink package with wine and beer included at lunch and dinner and then ordered liquor.   

Less than a week and I'll find out for sure!  Thanks again!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

I appreciate everyone's response.  I questioned my friend about this and she was very exact. She said every specialty restaurant.  The only thing I can think of is the possibility that she only had the cheaper drink package with wine and beer included at lunch and dinner and then ordered liquor.   

Less than a week and I'll find out for sure!  Thanks again!

That was my guess.

• Like 1

I believe some scotches & cognacs in Polo are not included

Bottles of wine are not part of the package

so without knowing what they ordered  it is hard to say if they were ripped off or not

They should have questioned it  when it happened

45 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

I'm going to ask her hubby about this. LOL She's pretty knowledgeable about Oceania, so I was very surprised when she told me.  

Did they pay for drinks  not in the Specialties ?

Maybe she thought  they had the Prestige package

I am sure if the drinks in the Specialties were no longer included  there would have been a major melt down  thread here on CC 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Wine by the bottle is not included in any package.

The Specialties often have dedicated beverages that are not included. Examples are Japanese beer and sake in Red Ginger. Likewise, in Toscana they frequently offer a limoncello that isn’t included on any package. Even in the Terrace they often feature daily special beers or wine that aren’t on any package. They typically never inform you that it’s not included until they bring you the bill.

The ONLY wine, beer, or spirits included in the Premium Package are those listed on the drinks menu as “ by the glass “. Everything else, you pay.

If you don’t see it listed on the drinks menu( not the food menu) always ask. Chances are you’re paying otherwise.

29 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Wine by the bottle is not included in any package.

The Specialties often have dedicated beverages that are not included. Examples are Japanese beer and sake in Red Ginger. Likewise, in Toscana they frequently offer a limoncello that isn’t included on any package. Even in the Terrace they often feature daily special beers or wine that aren’t on any package. They typically never inform you that it’s not included until they bring you the bill.

The ONLY wine, beer, or spirits included in the Premium Package are those listed on the drinks menu as “ by the glass “. Everything else, you pay.

If you don’t see it listed on the drinks menu( not the food menu) always ask. Chances are you’re paying otherwise.

Now you have me confused, never having cruised on "O" but considering future bookings.  On other cruise lines if passengers have a premium-type beverage package they can always get drinks (by the glass) in any venue.  So, for example, if I have a Premium package on Celebrity and dine in Murano (one of their upscale restaurants that come with a hefty fee) I could order wines by the glass (that would be covered by the drink package).  If I want to buy a bottle that would not be included (although those with premium beverage packages would get a nice discount).

Why would "O" not include a Japanese beer in their Premium package.  Japanese beer is really no more expensive than most other premium beers.  And it is the same with sake.  Why would not sake be included if the cost (per glass) was within reason?    If what the OP says is true, it seems that this so-called "Premium cruise line" (to quote a big O fan) sounds like a nickel and dime budget line.

Hank

Hank;  

While I tend to agree with you, I’m just explaining the way it is.

Oceania ships have a set bar menu for that ship/sailing that includes certain wines by the glass, specific beers, and liquors. Anything not listed on that ship wide menu is extra.

The answer to your larger question is revenue. A perfect example is in the Terrace ( Buffet). Nearly daily, Oceania displays and is promoting beers and wines to accompany one’s meal. Those items are rarely significantly of better quality or higher in cost than the entrees on the bar menu included in the packages. They do come with an additional cost to the cruiser. Ask before you order.

Edited by pinotlover

Just now, oskidunker said:

So the reservations open at midnight. Is that East Coast time? If so then that would be9 pm west coast, right? If not then people on the East coast would have an advantage. 

yes EST

West coasters  have the advantage of not having to stay up late  LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

We sailed Regatta in April, I happened to see.a favorite wine offered by the glass in Polo Grill.  Less happy to be informed when ordering that was not included in my premium beverage package.  Not that the specifics matter, but it was a Chardonnay from ZD.  A nice bottle to be sure, but widely available in the $50 / bottle range at home, so not so special as to be obviously excluded.

The same included wines by the glass were available as elsewhere on the ship.  Still, ponied up and paid for a glass of the ZD.  I recall the charge being ~$17.

6 hours ago, LHT28 said:

yes EST

West coasters  have the advantage of not having to stay up late  LOL

Thanks for the post! When specialty dining booking time opens for our fall, 2022 cruises, we plan to be in Hawaii = 7:00pm for booking!  

2 minutes ago, Norseh2o said:

Thanks for the post! When specialty dining booking time opens for our fall, 2022 cruises, we plan to be in Hawaii = 7:00pm for booking!  

Still works out to the same time  when booking open  but  you do not have to stay up late  🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jondfk said:

We sailed Regatta in April, I happened to see.a favorite wine offered by the glass in Polo Grill.  Less happy to be informed when ordering that was not included in my premium beverage package.  Not that the specifics matter, but it was a Chardonnay from ZD.  A nice bottle to be sure, but widely available in the $50 / bottle range at home, so not so special as to be obviously excluded.

The same included wines by the glass were available as elsewhere on the ship.  Still, ponied up and paid for a glass of the ZD.  I recall the charge being ~$17.

Was this wine on the By The Glass on the standard bar menu and available in the GDR or Terrace with the package? 

I appreciate this thread as this will be the first time we have opted for the Drink Package, planning to upgrade to premium on board. Some additional questions:

- is there ever a wine by the glass offering that is not included in the Premium Package in any restaurant, bar or specialty restaurant?

- are the wines in the wine pairing offering in the MDR included in the Premium Package?

- are the “Cocktail of the Day” offerings included in the Premium Package?

- doubles included?

- are room service drinks included in the Premium Package?

Is the trick to add, “only if included in the Premium Package” when ordering any drink?

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Robjame said:

I appreciate this thread as this will be the first time we have opted for the Drink Package, planning to upgrade to premium on board. Some additional questions:

- is there ever a wine by the glass offering that is not included in the Premium Package in any restaurant, bar or specialty restaurant?

absolutely. 

- are the wines in the wine pairing offering in the MDR included in the Premium Package?

Maybe, maybe not

- are the “Cocktail of the Day” offerings included in the Premium Package?

sometimes 

- doubles included?

yes if on the bar menu 

- are room service drinks included in the Premium Package?

Is the trick to add, “only if included in the Premium Package” when ordering any drink?

There is a set bar menu for all venues. If the beers, wines by the glass, or alcohol is listed on that bar menu then it’s included in the package. If not you had better ask because it is probably not included.

Thanks.

58 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Maybe, maybe not

1 hour ago, Robjame said:

So I guess trying to assign hard and fast rules to what is/is not included ends in frustration.

We will ask each time we order so that we avoid surprises on our end of cruise bill. As you have pointed out, the standard limoncello is fine for us - we don’t need a special, not included one, in Toscana.

image.thumb.png.b5390bb1d28ec55dd1cb40d2cf90ab7b.pngI just noticed this at the bottom of Priesters 2021 Bar Menu which I hadn't noticed before. It says that all specialty restaurant spirits are excluded which may explain the original OP point.

2. It says beverage package (Upgrade?) can be purchased other than from Reception - very helpful as this venue can be busy at embarkation.

1 hour ago, Robjame said:

image.thumb.png.b5390bb1d28ec55dd1cb40d2cf90ab7b.pngI just noticed this at the bottom of Priesters 2021 Bar Menu which I hadn't noticed before. It says that all specialty restaurant spirits are excluded which may explain the original OP point.

2. It says beverage package (Upgrade?) can be purchased other than from Reception - very helpful as this venue can be busy at embarkation.

Yes, spirits, but not wines. As I usually never have anything other than wine or beer with a meal I'd have to check this all out. I can't believe that I couldn't have a drink service waiter get me a Bailey's(which is on the Prestige Package) after the meal and it not be included. 

Now, what has always been the case is the special aged single malts in Polo, Sake in RG and other things here and there, are not part of the package. It would seem that if you just wanted a gin & tonic generic and had the Prestige there shouldn't be a charge anywhere on the ship if there's a bar open. Kinda negates the point of the package. 

• Like 3