Canada Random Covid Testing / Vancouver Example

Hello everyone, I think this is the right forum for this, but please advise if otherwise.

Ā 

My party of four is on the HAL Koningsdam August 13 sailing and wanted to give a live example of Canada random Covid testing. I had seen some threads on the announcements and process but not much via specifics as of yet (believe policy was new as of July 19). Well, we got to experience the process first hand yesterday.

Ā 

We all traveled by flight from the US direct to YVR yesterday, a day in advance of our cruise depart. We stayed at the Pan Pacific. Cruise check in, VeriFLY, and one ArriveCAN (for our flight) all completed in advance. Immediately after arriving through customs and into luggage area, I received two emails, one related to me and one for another member of our party (I believe in ArriveCAN I designated my email for everyone). The emails notified me that the two of us were selected for random Covid testing by Canadian govt. here is a screenshot with an excerpt.

Ā 

FA9E47DB-FD0E-495F-BEB2-01A2C52FBE7D.thumb.jpeg.10f6a5aa4c606810877d6855aa9bc9ff.jpeg

First I called Canada govt ā€œquestionsā€ line (given in email) to ask if this was mandatory (given we depart before end of next day deadline) and they were very nice and friendly but said the answer is yes. If you donā€™t do it, they apparently call you to track you down. Since we are RT Vancouver we didnā€™t consider skipping it. Next we called Lifelabs at a service number Canada govt person gave us (1-877-313-4982). We got a great representative (after holding for probably 20+ mins) who did the following: a) registered us with Lifelabs online, b) emailed me two ā€œrequisitionsā€ for tests that I could present to the testing providers, c) emailed me a list of testing providers near YVR airport (mostly FlyClear by Lifelabs testing sites) and Pan Pacific (mostly Shoppers drug marts where Lifelabs has a contract) and d) gave me instructions about how to register to receive my results. He was very nice and helpful and it took about 20 mins (after the 20+ minute initial hold). However, he also said that he could not make us an ā€œappointmentā€ for testing and we would have to stand by or go online and make our own appointment if we could.
Ā 

We decided to get the test near YVR and stand by. Our other two in party stayed at YVR and we took Uber to closest FlyClear lab, about 3 km away, 10 mins drive. FlyClear location on Russ Baker Way. When we arrived, no line. Took our requisition number, passports and the tests were free of charge from Govt. Tested right away and back to YVR we went. Both on the phone, and at FlyClear, the representatives indicates that we did not need to quarantine until the test results were known, and even though we were leaving next day (and results were estimated at 24-48 hours), that we were free to leave and board ship. Overall, that part of detour was maybe 45 minutes all in with no wait. So overall, again, about 90+ mins delay, clearly aided because we had a very helpful guide and no waits, otherwise could have been longer.

Ā 

We woke up this morning and results were in my email. Both negative (again, as we had tested before coming). These were PCR tests though while we had initially tested using eMed proctored antigen.

Ā 

So for us luckily no harm no foul as we didnā€™t have afternoon plans in Vancouver and tested negative.Ā 
Ā 

Certainly some unknowns like whether this could occur with late evening or same day flight arrive/cruise depart situations, or situations in which people are not checking their email regularly and donā€™t realize the selection in time to get tested. Or, exactly what would happen with a negative result.Ā 

Ā 

Hope this post is helpful to some as this process evolves.Ā 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

And just what happens if you don't get (see) the email and proceed to board the ship when arriving day of cruise ??

Has this happened to anyone ??

How can you possibly wait 24-48 hours if you're boarding the ship..what happens then ??

Edited by Ashland

19 hours ago, Ashland said:

And just what happens if you don't get (see) the email and proceed to board the ship when arriving day of cruise ??

Has this happened to anyone ??

How can you possibly wait 24-48 hours if you're boarding the ship..what happens then ??

Ā 

Canada and the US do not exit control, instead they depend on the airlines and cruise ships sharing the relevant information they collect from passengers.Ā  Basically Canada knows knows when you exited the country.Ā  Ā I find it unlikely they are going to be overly concerned about you not getting a testĀ  if they ask once your no longer in Canada.

Ā 

Not certain about the first two questions.

Ā 

For the third question, after doing the test you have to wait 24-48 hours to get the results.Ā  However you can go on with your life, including boarding a ship.Ā  Once your on the ship if you get an e-mail saying you tested positive the responsible thing to do would be to advise the ships doctor and avoid infecting others on the ship.

Ā 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, em-sk said:

Ā 

Canada and the US do not exit control, instead they depend on the airlines and cruise ships sharing the relevant information they collect from passengers.Ā  Basically Canada knows knows when you exited the country.Ā  Ā I find it unlikely they are going to be overly concerned about you not getting a testĀ  if they ask once your no longer in Canada.

Ā 

Not certain about the first two questions.

Ā 

For the third question, after doing the test you have to wait 24-48 hours to get the results.Ā  However you can go on with your life, including boarding a ship.Ā  Once your on the ship if you get an e-mail saying you tested positive the responsible thing to do would be to advise the ships doctor and avoid infecting others on the ship.

Ā 

Thanks...I was hoping for some answers to my questions. We usually have our iPhones on airplane mode and don't check them...especially when landing at YVR and heading directly to the ship for same day sail out. Feeling a bit stressed about this random testing even though we will be doing the eMed proctored test at home (California) the day before we fly to YVR. Not really concerned any of us will test positive....or we won't be flying to board a cruiseship.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lobbylin said:

Do they insist on a PCR test, or can you have a Rapid Test? I ask as they say with a PCR you can still show as positive upto 180 days after having caught covid.

Ā 

For the random test they ask some people to take on entry into Canada, the test is paid for by the government and done through labs under contract to the Canadian Public Health Agency.Ā  I believe they first do the PCR and then do the gene sequencing if it is positive.Ā 

Ā 

What they are trying to do is map out the genetic profile of infections coming into the country so they understand how the virus is mutating and what variants to be concerned about.

Ā 

If it is the test for getting onto the cruise ship, that is completely different and they are just trying to make certain people getting on are not infected.

Ā 

Edited by em-sk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2022 at 9:21 AM, Lobbylin said:

Do they insist on a PCR test, or can you have a Rapid Test? I ask as they say with a PCR you can still show as positive upto 180 days after having caught covid.

If you show them your positive test that was run by a lab that includes the lab information, they will exempt you from random testing

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 6:58 AM, SGCruiser2013 said:

Hello everyone, I think this is the right forum for this, but please advise if otherwise.

Ā 

My party of four is on the HAL Koningsdam August 13 sailing and wanted to give a live example of Canada random Covid testing. I had seen some threads on the announcements and process but not much via specifics as of yet (believe policy was new as of July 19). Well, we got to experience the process first hand yesterday.

Ā 

We all traveled by flight from the US direct to YVR yesterday, a day in advance of our cruise depart. We stayed at the Pan Pacific. Cruise check in, VeriFLY, and one ArriveCAN (for our flight) all completed in advance. Immediately after arriving through customs and into luggage area, I received two emails, one related to me and one for another member of our party (I believe in ArriveCAN I designated my email for everyone). The emails notified me that the two of us were selected for random Covid testing by Canadian govt. here is a screenshot with an excerpt.

Ā 

FA9E47DB-FD0E-495F-BEB2-01A2C52FBE7D.thumb.jpeg.10f6a5aa4c606810877d6855aa9bc9ff.jpeg

First I called Canada govt ā€œquestionsā€ line (given in email) to ask if this was mandatory (given we depart before end of next day deadline) and they were very nice and friendly but said the answer is yes. If you donā€™t do it, they apparently call you to track you down. Since we are RT Vancouver we didnā€™t consider skipping it. Next we called Lifelabs at a service number Canada govt person gave us (1-877-313-4982). We got a great representative (after holding for probably 20+ mins) who did the following: a) registered us with Lifelabs online, b) emailed me two ā€œrequisitionsā€ for tests that I could present to the testing providers, c) emailed me a list of testing providers near YVR airport (mostly FlyClear by Lifelabs testing sites) and Pan Pacific (mostly Shoppers drug marts where Lifelabs has a contract) and d) gave me instructions about how to register to receive my results. He was very nice and helpful and it took about 20 mins (after the 20+ minute initial hold). However, he also said that he could not make us an ā€œappointmentā€ for testing and we would have to stand by or go online and make our own appointment if we could.
Ā 

We decided to get the test near YVR and stand by. Our other two in party stayed at YVR and we took Uber to closest FlyClear lab, about 3 km away, 10 mins drive. FlyClear location on Russ Baker Way. When we arrived, no line. Took our requisition number, passports and the tests were free of charge from Govt. Tested right away and back to YVR we went. Both on the phone, and at FlyClear, the representatives indicates that we did not need to quarantine until the test results were known, and even though we were leaving next day (and results were estimated at 24-48 hours), that we were free to leave and board ship. Overall, that part of detour was maybe 45 minutes all in with no wait. So overall, again, about 90+ mins delay, clearly aided because we had a very helpful guide and no waits, otherwise could have been longer.

Ā 

We woke up this morning and results were in my email. Both negative (again, as we had tested before coming). These were PCR tests though while we had initially tested using eMed proctored antigen.

Ā 

So for us luckily no harm no foul as we didnā€™t have afternoon plans in Vancouver and tested negative.Ā 
Ā 

Certainly some unknowns like whether this could occur with late evening or same day flight arrive/cruise depart situations, or situations in which people are not checking their email regularly and donā€™t realize the selection in time to get tested. Or, exactly what would happen with a negative result.Ā 

Ā 

Hope this post is helpful to some as this process evolves.Ā 

Thanks for the info. My friend's daughter just flew from Australia to Vancouver to cruise Alaska. She was selected and tested positive. So had to fly back to Australia right away. I was surprised they let her fly but apparently that was no problem. She was asymptomatic.

Ā 

We are booked on Vancouver return 14-day cruise May 6-20. However, we are planning to fly to Vancouver on 1st May, so at least plenty of time to fulfil requirements if they are still in force by then.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update...Returned yesterday from our Alaska cruise on Serenade out/in Vancouver.

No one seemed to care about the ArriveCan and there didn't seem to be any random testing upon arrival into YVR.

Ā 

Thanks to all of you for all the help this stressed out cruiser had. It couldn't have been easier, so much so that I was a bit suspicious that something was wrong.

• Like 1