Some questions regarding upcoming cruise on Zuiderdam

sami99

Hi all - we are cruising to alaska leaving Vancouver on August 17.  I have a couple of questions for those that have gone on this trip recently:

1) Do you tip when getting room service and if so, how much?

2) Happy hour - is it 50% of select drinks only or all drinks? (are beer and wine included?)

3) My understanding from reading these forums - laundry is $20 for an all you can fit in their laundry bag?  Or $49 for unlimited.

4) Bringing wine onboards incurs a $20 corkage fee - are they diligent with every bottle of wine or has anyone been lucky enough for them to just let it through without charging a corkage?

5) We are 4 in a verandah room - 2 children aged 4 & 7 - the sofabed looks really small - would it comfortably sleep 2 little ones?

Thank you 🙂

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Please always feel free to look around, there is tons of info discussed here daily.

Tipping is always personal and subjective. There is NO requirement to tip at any time. So the subject is really controversial and generates a lot of heated comments. If the steward was bringing food for 4, at least $5 would be our minimum...probably more.

As far as I know, happy hour is 50% off all second drinks...beer and wine are definitely included.

Any wine you bring on board is to be carried on, not put in your suitcase. So expect them to be very focused on your wine. Plan on paying it.

Can't answer your other questions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sami99 said:

Hi all - we are cruising to alaska leaving Vancouver on August 17.  I have a couple of questions for those that have gone on this trip recently:

2) Happy hour - is it 50% of select drinks only or all drinks? (are beer and wine included?)

3) My understanding from reading these forums - laundry is $20 for an all you can fit in their laundry bag?  Or $49 for unlimited.

4) Bringing wine onboards incurs a $20 corkage fee - are they diligent with every bottle of wine or has anyone been lucky enough for them to just let it through without charging a corkage?

5) We are 4 in a verandah room - 2 children aged 4 & 7 - the sofabed looks really small - would it comfortably sleep 2 little ones?

Thank you 🙂

Hi Sami99 and welcome to Cruise Critic!

(1) I take US$1 bills and tip: $1 for just coffee. $2-3 coffee and cold/baked goods, $4-5 meal for two.

(2) Happy hour BC (before Covid) was always 50% off the second of EXACTLY the same drink. 

(3) Laundry is $20 (in Alaska) for a bag that will contain for example

bag o laundry.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sami99 said:

3)  Or $49 for unlimited.

Thank you 🙂

CONTINUED!

(3) $49 is unlimited for a 7-day cruise, but really $49 for 5ish days as you can't turn in in the last 1-2 days. so it's a bit of a scam... but still better than paying by the item. Whether it is better than paying by the bag you have to determine. Since you will be all in the same room (one fee per room) and the little'uns may produce copious dirty items... I would definitely consider the $7/day unlimited. 

(4) I have never tried to "slip" any by them and also not sailed since the no-"free"-wine policy went into play. My mom (a sweet white haired 80yo lady) did come through the line with a small (not single-shot) bottle of Kahlua and not get stopped! just saying, not encouraging. Make sure it is either good enough wine you don't mind paying $20/bottle to have it, or cheap enough you don't mind forfeiting it.

(5) It is a generous twin. I think you will be fine. You could turn one of them 180-degrees and let them kick each other's legs if need be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sami99 said:

Thank you 🙂

Welcome to CC.  I was on this cruise in April so I am providing you some links to help in your planning (kids stuff, too).  Stop by Club HAL to see all of the activities planned for the kids and options for them to stay there while you are on an excursion.

Ask at the ice cream station in the Lido Market for some bread pudding.  It will be a special treat for the kids, too.  Stop at the Taco Bar by the indoor pool any afternoon for build your own tacos/nachos.

When & Where (Daily Activities)

Main Dining Room Daily Menus

7-Day Kids MDR Menu to Color  bring crayons or pencils to color.  Actual menu is the same each day just different pictures to color.

Room Service Menu - note kids section for dinner time

Enjoy your cruise.  Maybe some cheap binoculars to help the kids look for eagles.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/eagles/p5161806.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sami99 said:

Thank you 🙂

Room service workers share in the daily gratuities/service charge/crew incentive.   While many people tip room service extra, keep in mind that this would be an additional tip.   The room service people do not expect extra tips nor do they linger in anticipation of extra tips.  

• Like 3

True what Pete just said.  I keep my extra tip for room service delivery in my pocket or right by the door because they usually just fly out of the room after delivery and if you aren't ready then they are gone before you have a chance to give them the tip!

Have a wonderful cruise and welcome to Cruise Critic!

~Nancy

• Like 1

I was on Zuiderdam inside passage B2B beginning June 1.  My first trip to Alaska and I loved it.

I'm afraid I can't answer any of the questions other than the first and, as has been noted, tipping is 100% a personal choice.  I ordered breakfast a couple of times and lunch at least once, maybe twice.  I always tip $2.  I made sure to have the cash in my hand when I opened the door because they're in a hurry and most def do not hang around standing with their hand out waiting for a tip.

I often purchase a wine package the first night in the MDR, but I had a drink package this time so didn't do that or consider bringing on any wine.  I don't do laundry except on very long sailings.  And I've never sailed with a small child.  Hopefully by next year when my granddaughter is close to 3 yo I'll find out what that's like!

Enjoy your cruise.  Alaska is beautiful.  The ship is also beautiful with great service, good food, and good entertainment.

I'm more surprised that HAL did not force you to book a quad, which would mean it would come with a sofa bed and a Pullman.

If it's the same sized sofa that is on the Koningsdam, then a 4 and 7 year old would be comfortable sharing it - the width was between a full and a twin.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bz said:

changed policy on bringing wine onboard?  The corkage fee was only if you drank it in a dining room.  Haven't been on HAL since Covid, but am booked for Nov 2 from Vancouver.

$20 corkage per bottle and you can drink it anywhere!

Prior to that change it had been 1 bottle per adult without charge (for drinking in non public areas only) and corkage after that.

15 hours ago, sami99 said:

Hi all - we are cruising to alaska leaving Vancouver on August 17. 

PACD_JG is right; 4 is old enough to need a bed of their own (infants are up to 2yo). What is the room number? The 7yo will probably love the bunk that pulls down from the ceiling! The room steward will pull it down each night and raise it in the morning, I believe (same with the sofa bed).

Thank you for all the responses everyone - they are very helpful.  Yes we are in a quad room and I didn't realize there was a pulldown from the ceiling.  Bonus!  My 7 yr old will definitely love that!  And thanks Crew News for all the links.  I'm soaking in all the information you have all provided.

Another couple of questions:

6) has anyone used the pool on this trip?  I imagine it would be too cold?  I figured it would be cruel for my kids to see this nice pool on the ship and not be able to use it so I bought them some wetsuits.  But I dread going into a cold pool on a cold day for myself with them lol.

7) For pickleball and basketball court - can you play pickleball anytime or just the designated times on the daily schedule?  And for basketball, can the kids play anytime or is the court the same court pickleball is played?

THank you 🙂

3 hours ago, crystalspin said:

PACD_JG is right; 4 is old enough to need a bed of their own (infants are up to 2yo). What is the room number? The 7yo will probably love the bunk that pulls down from the ceiling! The room steward will pull it down each night and raise it in the morning, I believe (same with the sofa bed).

Room is veranda room on the 10 floor - all the veranda rooms on 10th floor are quads.  My parents and 15 yr old are in a room beside us.  We tried to get joining rooms but their weren't any quads joining.  I am worried about my middle child getting sea sick with being on a top floor as he often gets car sick, but their weren't any quads available on a lower floor - so keeping my fingers crossed he will be ok and will take some gravol for him and maybe buy him a seaband.

Two pools on the ship. The midship pool has a closable roof. Swimming isn't a problem there. The aft pool doesn't have a roof, and is usually adults only.

Unless there is a tournament or something similar,  you can play whatever game on the courts, if you get there first.

21 minutes ago, sami99 said:

Room is veranda room on the 10 floor - all the veranda rooms on 10th floor are quads...  I am worried about my middle child getting sea sick with being on a top floor as he often gets car sick, but their weren't any quads available on a lower floor - so keeping my fingers crossed he will be ok and will take some gravol for him and maybe buy him a seaband.

We did a TransAtlantic all the way to Copenhagen (much open sea, unlike Vancouver and the inside passage east of Vancouver Island) on Deck 10 Zuiderdam. Just loved it! Never felt a wave! And my husband has a history of motion-sickness sufferer in smaller boats and even small planes if they tip and turn too much.

Good to be prepared of course. Crystalized ginger is another child-safe remedy. Seabands may make him feel like he has control as well. I think you'll be fine! (BTW the kids' clubs are on the Observation Deck as well, you and they can walk to them without stairs or an elevator.)

35 minutes ago, sami99 said:

Room is veranda room on the 10 floor - 

Here is a link to a photo and short description of a Deck 10 verandah made up as a quad. It's from the Oosterdam (sister ship to Zuiderdam). You can see the sofa bed between the big bed and the window.

https://halfacts.com/vista-class/10009-oosterdam/

Every other room is a left to right mirror image (and the other aisle is flipped also).

My experience on our Alaska cruises this season is that the happy hour is 50% off ALL drinks, not just the second drink.  For instance, hubby got a beer, I got a cocktail.  We were charged $3.75 for the beer and $5 for the cocktail. Plus the added 18% gratuity of course. You don't have to buy 2 the same, nor do you have to buy more than one.  However, we did buy more than one on a few happy hour sessions and each were charged at 50%.  Also good to note is that the servers or bartenders were more than happy to allow us to purchase 3 or 4 beers to go at the happy hour prices to take back to our room to enjoy.  They did not open them. I do know there is a price limit to what they will discount.  It may be any drink under $15 is discounted, but I'm not positive of the price ceiling.

I agree that tipping the room service is not necessary, however, we always do.  Typically we do $2 to $3 for the two of us if we are ordering minimally.  If we have a larger order, say a full meal and dessert, we'll do $5.  

We did not swim on Zuiderdam, Westerdam or Nieuw Amsterdam on our Alaska sailings this summer.  However, many people were.  As mentioned, the main pool on all these ships has a retractable roof and if it's chilly or raining, they will close it up.  The pool is heated and it was being enjoyed by lots of children and adults alike.  

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 5:10 PM, sami99 said:

Yes we are in a quad room and I didn't realize there was a pulldown from the ceiling. 

Hint: Some folks have the stewards make the main bed with pillows at the normal foot so they don't bang their heads on the pulldown.

On 8/14/2022 at 9:23 AM, bz said:

changed policy on bringing wine onboard?  The corkage fee was only if you drank it in a dining room.  Haven't been on HAL since Covid, but am booked for Nov 2 from Vancouver.

On board now. Yes to my surprise it is $20 per bottle “corkage” fee even if you are consuming in your stateroom. Took me by surprise and lots of others as well. I personally think it’s bad form on HAL part.  I really want to be a happy HAL customer again but so many things falling through the cracks under CCL ownership. 

1 hour ago, buhbyenow said:

On board now. Yes to my surprise it is $20 per bottle “corkage” fee even if you are consuming in your stateroom. Took me by surprise and lots of others as well. I personally think it’s bad form on HAL part.  I really want to be a happy HAL customer again but so many things falling through the cracks under CCL ownership. 

Do you realize that CC ownership happened in 1989????  We're talking 33 years ago.  Also, it's CC (Carnival Corporation), not CCL.  CCL is one of the many brands under the CC ownership umbrella.  I can't see blaming an ownership change 33 years ago for a policy change made a couple years ago 😉

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

Also, it's CC (Carnival Corporation), not CCL. 

CCL is the actual stock exchange 'ticker' name for Carnival Corportation.  Carnival UK is CCL.L

Many people would recognise CCL as being Carnival Corportation.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, buhbyenow said:

Took me by surprise and lots of others as well.

It is well documented on your Boarding Pass and also on the 'Know Before You Go' on HAL website.

It has also been discussed numerous times on this board.