Seattle Alaska cruisers - Covid testing at or near airport

DaveOKC

I haven't been able to figure out exactly what COVID testing is available at SeaTac, but I do know that you will need to have a negative COVID test of a type where someone observes you doing the test within two or three days before your cruise (depending on whether it's an antigen test or a PCR test) AND you will need to upload those results into the ArriveCAN app within 72 hours (that is to say, within  72 hours before you get on the ship).  You can download the app and load in your ID and COVID vaccination data ahead of time, but will need to load in your test results within the 72-hour window. 

We're taking an Alaska cruise on the NCL Bliss which leaves on September 3, the first day of the new requirements on NCL - but those new, more lenient requirements do not apply to people cruising on a ship not registered in the US that docks at a Canadian port at any time during the cruise - and that's all of the Alaska cruises on any of the usual cruise lines, as none of those ships has US registry.  We got a bunch of emails from Norwegian touting the new, looser requirements, but the fine print directs you to the specific requirements for countries that have their own (different) requirements, and those countries include Canada.  The Canadian rules apply to all passengers, including those having no intention of getting off the ship at the Canadian port.   Please check your cruise line's information for the specifics (which are different for different age groups), and maybe call them up to check for sure, but I've had this information confirmed by several NCL agents, plus it aligns with the Canadian government's web site information on cruise ship passenger requirements, so I'm prretty certain I've got this right, unless Canada changes its rules in the next three weeks.  I really wish it were otherwise, and I'm really dreading embarkation when would-be passengers who didn't read the fine print find they can't board the ship.  Not exactly the start to a dream vacation!

There are a couple of options: 

Xpress Check has a location at SeaTac near baggage claim. The rapid test is $ 250: 

https://www.xprescheck.com/services

Discovery Health is offsite near the airport and has reduced the price from $ 150 to $ 125: 

https://discoveryhealthmd.com/offer/dhmd-covid-19-testing-seatac/

The cheapest option is to use one of the free government tests and use the Onpoint proctoring from your cellphone for $ 16.99: 

https://onpoint-testing.com/product/certified-teleservice-covid-testing/

8 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

When I boarded the Crown Princess at Seattle back in May, they were doing testing on the dock, which was quite convenient.

How did you arrange this and what was the cost?

13 hours ago, JT1962 said:

The cheapest option is to use one of the free government tests and use the Onpoint proctoring from your cellphone for $ 16.99: 

https://onpoint-testing.com/product/certified-teleservice-covid-testing/

Looking for someone who has used OnPoint and which test they used with it to make it approved by the cruise line(We re cruising RCCL) 

We have always used emed/Navica but the onpoint option is looing attractive price wise! 

Dave OKC you could purchase emed/navica tests and do it once you land in Seattle with your cell phone for quick results. Have done this with no issues in MIA with my cellphone. Results show up in about 10-15minutes

8 hours ago, udamom said:

Looking for someone who has used OnPoint and which test they used with it to make it approved by the cruise line(We re cruising RCCL) 

We have always used emed/Navica but the onpoint option is looing attractive price wise! 

Dave OKC you could purchase emed/navica tests and do it once you land in Seattle with your cell phone for quick results. Have done this with no issues in MIA with my cellphone. Results show up in about 10-15minutes

Thanks, but I was looking for a backup option, just in case, so buying the kits ahead of time will not work.

9 hours ago, udamom said:

We used OnPoint for our July Celebrity Summit cruise.  We had a couple Abbott Bionax Now kits that we got for free through the government.  Make sure you have zoom downloaded on your device, and then make an appointment (two people can share one appointment.)  They send you a link to enter all of your information and then send you another link to join the zoom meeting at the scheduled time.  You will have your results in 15 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2022 at 2:28 PM, DaveOKC said:

How did you arrange this and what was the cost?

I didn't arrange it.  My daughter found out online about it, but I don't know where from (probably either Princess or Port of Seattle).  I don't believe there was any cost, but I could be wrong.