Random Observations after 9 Days on Oasis

I read these boards a lot leading up to my trip and thought I could offer some info I hope others will find helpful. The following is not necessarily a review but just some info for those interested. 

Refreshment Package: The cups we received with the beverage package were the clear plastic insulated type with the imbedded sticker. (I got the other non-insulted version with my Labadoosie)

Straws: The straws on this sailing were seemingly plastic but biodegradable. I couldn’t tell the difference between these and traditional straws. 

Crowds: The ship was definitely crowded.  I believe the captain said there were 6,183 guest. However, I was able to get dining and show reservations without much trouble and if I had to wait in line for things which happened often the wait was fairly minimal. The only thing I couldn’t do was free skate. 

Unexpected Dining Change: My wife and I both had the UDP because we wanted to have a couple nights in the specialty restaurants and we also wanted to go to many of the à la cart restaurants. We also wanted to have a regular routine with our two sons and the main dining room. Even though we had requested an early dining time and it showed up that way on the app before our cruise, when we got on board they switched us to my time dining. I had to go down to the restaurant and plead with the headwaiter to give us an assigned time. Just be aware that if you have the ultimate dining plan they may switch you to my time dining without notifying you.  (One of the best things I did. The boys built a great relationship with the waitstaff and fell in love with the guests at our adjacent table who were celebrating their 58th anniversary. The one night we didn’t eat in the MDR our boys insisted on going there just to say hi to everyone)

Adventure Ocean:   They request only one parent go to register the kids but this information is on the paper they give you after registering so no one knows. Many kids were in line and bored. Let the kids tour while one adult signs up.  Our kids were in Juniors for 3-5 and had a great time. Lots of arts and crafts and themed activities. The staff is very kind.  They will give out a phone if you ask but it looks like most people don’t.  We always asked for one but it was never used. 

Labadee: Watch out for jellyfish. We were at Nellies beach and many people were stung.  The lifeguards carry some type of vinegar spray because so many people need it.  Also, Labadee isn’t as big as I expected. We walked to Nellies beach In about 10 minutes.  We took the tram back because the boys were tired later in the day. 

Elevators: I went on NCL Escape in 2019 and finding an elevator was always a problem.  I was so impressed that with over 6000 guests the elevators always seemed to come immediately.  Only problems were on the aft elevators at dinner. 

Lobster Night was day 8 on our 9 day sailing. 

Windjammer/solarium Bistro: I forgot to mention this when talking about crowds. The windjammer venue even with both sides open is unbearable. I stepped foot in here twice and neither time was a table available.  We loved the Solarium Bistro. Lots of great options and it was a peaceful place to eat. Always got a table. 

Omelette Station: In the solarium bistro there was not a omelette station per se, but if you went to the hot food line and asked they would make an omelette for you and bring it to your table.

Cape Liberty: We arrived at 9:45 because we had a 10 AM boarding time. There was a short wait to drop off our bags and get a spot. The process was pretty quick once we were inside except they didn’t know how to deal with our son who is under five but fully vaccinated. The week we arrived was the first week that any under five kid could be vaccinated. On disembarkation day we were in our car 20 minutes after leaving our state room.

TIPPING!: just kidding…no comment

I hope that some of you find this at least somewhat helpful. These are just some random thoughts and things that I thought would be helpful to others. If I think of anything else I’ll add him to the thread. Happy cruising!

• Like 10

4 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Did you wait to get on the ship after checking in??

I didn’t wait at all after the actual check in.  Quick rundown of the process:

Arrived at 9:45ish and was in sight of the terminal. 

Waited 5 minutes in line to drop off bags

Another 5-10 minutes to parking spot at outside lot. (Garage was only for handicapped sticker)

5 minutes to walk to the terminal (we were stopped just outside to check the kids vaccine status. They were both vaccinated and got a sticker to indicate that they didn’t need to test)

Inside to security line (5 min wait in line). Made it through with 4 bottles of wine no questions asked.  (2 staterooms but one that didn’t have someone over 18 in it.)

No wait for registration. It probably took 2-3 minutes to check in. *Behind the registration desk there were many people sitting around waiting. Not sure if they were waiting for their boarding time. 

After registration we were immediately allowed to board. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How did you make reservations for shows once onboard?  

Don't have RC App, did you notice a Box Office or hear about anyone signing up for shows but not on the APP? 

Thanks, your info was helpful, especially about arrival.

Most people that get the UDP package would never step foot in the main dining room....that is the purpose of it.  So changing to MTD is logical, because they don't want empty tables  for a person that 99.9% of the time would not show up for it.  It should be an automatic thing to change you, which it seems happened.  

• Like 2