Mighty Cruise Ships Episode

Nodakboiler

The MCS episode on the Costa Diadema showed them taking an excursion from Civitavecchia to a medieval town with a minimal population. Does anyone know the name of the town? I posted on Costa board but no response and they no longer list it as an excursion on the Costa site. TIA for any help.

2 hours ago, Nodakboiler said:

Thank you- that is it! Long walk on the bridge

I don't know why, but a few years ago this town was a very popular spot for both ship excursions and private tours. Lately it seems to have fallen off many lists. I'm not sure whether it was due to the long uphill walk to reach the village, whether there was concern about damage to the village or even safety concerns....   However if you're thinking of doing it on your own or even with a small private tour it is very atmospheric.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gallivanter'sGal said:

We also took a bus to Tarquinia on our own from Civitavecchia which was fabulous.  It's an ancient Etruscan city and is famous for its 200 painted toms dating back from the 7th century BCE.

Another wonderful option and one of the easiest things to do on your own from Civitavecchia. In recent years they have opened up many of the tombs on a daily basis. Before, it was a bit of a crapshoot as to how many would be open on a given day.

The museum in town (in Tarquinia) is also fabulous. Even if you can't get to the tombs, the museum has a couple of the tombs in their entirety within the museum, as well as some stunning Etruscan art. My favorite piece (beautifully displayed and larger than life-size):

See the source image

• Like 2