Moving from Princess to Cunard

windsurferfirst

We have completed 10 Cruises with Princes the last cruise being this last week. I have stuck with Princess because of their loyalty programme but that doesn't account for much anymore. I have decided that Princess is never going back to its pre covid level of service. We have cruised 4 time since they restarted operations and last week just about saw us off. We always book a club class mini as we like the dedicated dining area. Otherwise its a real struggle to get a table in he main dining room.

So good cruisers of Cunard. Can you give me any tips on what I should be looking at when booking a Cunard ship?

Thanks

Too start with a negative, just as caveat, there are several reports of lower standards than before Covid on Cunard, too. 

Yet, you should overall experience some mayor differences. 

The passenger to staff and to space ratio is much better on Cunard.

Eg. there will not be a struggle to get a table in the MDR. You have afixed table for dinner there. Open seating otherwise, but again no problem.

If you want a smaller dining room with a fixed table for all meals, you can choose Britannia Club or one of the grills.

The average level of dress is higher in Cunard.

The atmosphere more European or British.

Edited by carlmm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, windsurferfirst said:

We have completed 10 Cruises with Princes the last cruise being this last week. I have stuck with Princess because of their loyalty programme but that doesn't account for much anymore. I have decided that Princess is never going back to its pre covid level of service. We have cruised 4 time since they restarted operations and last week just about saw us off. We always book a club class mini as we like the dedicated dining area. Otherwise its a real struggle to get a table in he main dining room.

So good cruisers of Cunard. Can you give me any tips on what I should be looking at when booking a Cunard ship?

Thanks

You could have a look at my blog Link Here It covers all three Cunard ships in both Britannia and Princess Grill pre and post Covid. It give you an idea as to what we like about Cunard plus a few whinges as well. There are examples of the Daily Programmes there as well as Menus from our cruises

Edited by rakkor
  • Like 1

Quite an interesting thread for us. 
Early next year we are sailing on Princess for the first time (in a suite) from a US port. The timing left us with the choice of this cruise or nothing without more flights.

From reading articles on other cruise lines here on CC, the demise of many things we were used to pre covid, is a familiar theme. However, I would say the Grills seem little affected if at all, 

But, is this a Carnival policy of whittling away at the lower grades?
Whether we like it or not, the tough reality of the financial situation because of the past few years, has to be addressed somehow, across all lines!

At least the ships we love are still providing good value, when compared with some land based holidays: everything now is just more expensive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My main loyalty is to the experience of cruising!!

This year I cruised on Cunard (again), next year on Princess (again.). Previously I have cruised on Celebrity, RC, NCL, Holland, Carnival,  etc. etc. (some lines no longer even exist.) multiple times for all!

I enjoy the formality and historic British tradition of Cunard, the modern elegance of Princess and Celebrity, the great value and fun of Carnival, the casual style of NCL, the chock-full of activities RC cruise, and the Holland America unique itineraries. My personal preference is for these large ships with lots of activities, although some folks can find them overwhelming and exhausting.  I do not mind young children running and playing, as I took my first cruise as a child, and I remember the wonder of it all.

I do think occasionally cruisers' expectations may be higher than the reality, and some nitpick small details rather than focusing on the overall joy of a luxury mini- life at sea.

Some people are loyal to one line forever--if they are happy, great for them, but for me, "variety is the spice of life!" (William Cowper, 1785)

• Like 4

As someone said Grills standards on Cunard have been maintained.

Don't know what club class mini is on Princess. 

On Cunard, Brittania club is at a significant  premium to Brittania,  all you get is a single seating restaurant and a bit better menu, exactly same size cabin

Princess grill , is about the same premium up again. But you get a significantly bigger cabin, a much better menu and a la carte which is very similiar to and comes out of same kitchen as Queens Grill, plus access to Grills  deck. PG described as the premium value sweet spot.

Give Cunard a try and enjoy

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

One of our regular posters is just back, she might have some comments @Camgirl

As Host Hattie said, I'm just off our first Princess cruise. We were in a mini suite, but I don't know about any of the other grades. We were on a four night cruise, which, I know, often gives a different vibe to a longer cruise. We have completed 23 Cunard cruises, with the last being in March 2022. These have all been in Britannia cabins, which are a little smaller than the mini suite we had.

We have never had a problem in the main dining room on Cunard. It is a little slower on the first night as each person is shown to their table, but no queue otherwise. We had to queue at length for every single meal on Princess. The food is better on Cunard, so is the standard of the musicians around the ship. We never went to a show, so I cant compare. The evenings on Cunard are much quieter. There is still the same old issue with people saving sunbeds and then disappearing. However, there a few children, so the pools tend to be much quieter.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 4:08 AM, carlmm said:

Too start with a negative, just as caveat, there are several reports of lower standards than before Covid on Cunard, too. 

It is not just Carnival lines.  I used to be happy with RCL pre-COVID however, post COVID the food quality dropped significantly.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Camgirl said:

As Host Hattie said, I'm just off our first Princess cruise. We were in a mini suite, but I don't know about any of the other grades. We were on a four night cruise, which, I know, often gives a different vibe to a longer cruise. We have completed 23 Cunard cruises, with the last being in March 2022. These have all been in Britannia cabins, which are a little smaller than the mini suite we had.

We have never had a problem in the main dining room on Cunard. It is a little slower on the first night as each person is shown to their table, but no queue otherwise. We had to queue at length for every single meal on Princess. The food is better on Cunard, so is the standard of the musicians around the ship. We never went to a show, so I cant compare. The evenings on Cunard are much quieter. There is still the same old issue with people saving sunbeds and then disappearing. However, there a few children, so the pools tend to be much quieter.

Thanks for you reply. Very helpful to have a direct comparison - Thanks again.

• Like 1