First time on NCL... few questions

movierev

We have an upcoming cruise on the Escape in March.  Sailed RCI and CCL before but first time on NCL and have a few questions...

• Does NCL give check in times at Port Canaveral?  If so, how strict are they with them... can we go early?
  • Is it best to reserve dinning and entertainment before the cruise or wait until on board?  We like to keep our schedules more laid back and spur of the moment and booking those far in advance is difficult for us.
  • We are looking at booking a Ocean Villa at GSC (we have three couples going)... would it be worth it?  Also looking at booking the Vibe Beach Club for about the same cost for the week.  Would you recommend one over the other?
  • The pool areas look VERY small and without shade... where is the best location (other than Vibe) for shade and lounging outside?
  • We have four specialty dining package... what do you seasoned NCL cruisers say is a can't miss?  I know food is subjective, but others insight is always helpful!

I'm sure we'll have more questions as we get closer... thanks for any help!

2 minutes ago, movierev said:

We have an upcoming cruise on the Escape in March.  Sailed RCI and CCL before but first time on NCL and have a few questions...

• Does NCL give check in times at Port Canaveral?  If so, how strict are they with them... can we go early?
  • Is it best to reserve dinning and entertainment before the cruise or wait until on board?  We like to keep our schedules more laid back and spur of the moment and booking those far in advance is difficult for us.
  • We are looking at booking a Ocean Villa at GSC (we have three couples going)... would it be worth it?  Also looking at booking the Vibe Beach Club for about the same cost for the week.  Would you recommend one over the other?
  • The pool areas look VERY small and without shade... where is the best location (other than Vibe) for shade and lounging outside?
  • We have four specialty dining package... what do you seasoned NCL cruisers say is a can't miss?  I know food is subjective, but others insight is always helpful!

Sorry, I can't answer #1.

#2: Minimally, you can book restaurants at 120 days prior to your embarkation date. Or, you can book everything once onboard.  Some restaurants and shows will fill-up popular times on Embarkation Day.  It's best to decide early which things are most important to you and get them booked!

GSC: We've never been in a Villa at GSC, (nor a GSC Cabana of any sort).  However, if we were going to spend the day with three couples, we probably would book one of the villas for the day!

Pools/Shade: The pools are small and the area is very congested.  I look for loungers on higher decks where there is less traffic.  You might be able to find quiet and shaded seating on deck 8 on the Waterfront.

Restaurants: It probably would be best to spend some time looking through NCL to find YOUR tastes.

If you use the link below, you will find sample menus for many of the restaurants.

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/escape/whats-on-board/specialty-dining

Have a great cruise!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, movierev said:

• Does NCL give check in times at Port Canaveral?  If so, how strict are they with them... can we go early? You get you time when you check in (currently 21 days prior to departure). If you want an early time, log on at 12 midnight eastern time and check in your party to get the best check-in time.  
  •  
  • Is it best to reserve dinning and entertainment before the cruise or wait until on board?  We like to keep our schedules more laid back and spur of the moment and booking those far in advance is difficult for us. Guarantee dinner reservations by logging on exactly 120 days prior to departure at 12 midnight Eastern time. Prime time dining will sell out quickly online. Some are held for on-board booking. (Top Tier Latitudes members, and people in club balconies can make reservations 125 days prior to departure. Guests in Haven Suites can book 130 days prior to departure). 
  •  
  • On board, popular specialty dining will sell out of prime time (i.e., not 9:30 pm) and will eventually totally sell out for the duration of the cruise. If you get an early check-in time, and actually check-in early and are first to board, then go to show reservations first and book your shows (Choir of Man, MALEVO, comedy shows, Supper Club dinner shows), then go to dining reservations and book your dinners around your show schedule. 

• We are looking at booking a Ocean Villa at GSC (we have three couples going)... would it be worth it?  Also looking at booking the Vibe Beach Club for about the same cost for the week.  Would you recommend one over the other? Both unnecessary expenses, but if that is what you want, go for it. GSC is a beach day... go sit on the beach... at most, book a few clamshells and enjoy the steerage class beach buffet (picnic food). 
  •  
  • The pool areas look VERY small and without shade... where is the best location (other than Vibe) for shade and lounging outside? The vibe also has little shade and they won't open umbrellas if it is windy.  There is a lot of deck space and the Spice H20 is an adults only sundeck. 
  •  
  • We have four specialty dining package... what do you seasoned NCL cruisers say is a can't miss?  I know food is subjective, but others insight is always helpful! We would book Le Bistro, Byamo, Moderno Churrascaria Brazilian BBQ, and Teppanyaki. The most popular restaurant is Cagney's Steakhouse (which is not on our list of favorite restaurants). Remember that there are dinner shows in the Supper Club if you want... most are complimentary, but one will be for-fee with a better menu. For Lunch, the best food on the ship is Pinchos Tapas (a la carte dining). 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, movierev said:

Can you not make reservations for dinner and decide the night of... just walk up and wait for a table like a land based restaurant? 

For the past year, with ships running at 50% and 60% capacity, it has been easier for walk-ups. Pre-pandemic with restaurants fully booked, sometimes the host will tell you to come back at 9:30 for last seating. 

Remember, the Suites concierge can oversell restaurants (like airlines oversell planes) for Suite guests. At prime time, there are more reservations than seats. So a restaurant host will consider how much a restaurant is oversold before taking walk-ins. (i.e., the potential of others no-showing is already covered by oversold reservations). 

Ships are getting back up to full capacity now, so I would assume restaurant reservations will become harder to get. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 5:03 PM, movierev said:

Others have already addressed some of these, but some additional thoughts:

• You choose your check-in time when you check-in online 21 days before.  They do it to level load the number of pax coming through the terminal at any given time.  That said, I've not seen it strictly enforced (or even checked most of the time.)
  • Reserve specialty dining ahead of time because some WILL sell-out.  You can always try to move things around once you're onboard but at least you have a guaranteed spot by registering ahead.
  • Cagney's, Ocean Blue, and Le Bistro are my faves.  Obviously it's subjective.