Bear viewing in Redoubt Bay

gwhizma

We will be in Anchorage Aug 3. Considering to do flightseeing trip with Rusts Flying for Bear viewing. Has anyone done this? Any advice?

You may want to consider the other trip Rust's has to the Katmai. I know it's quite a little more money, but I think you would be more pleased. We did the Emerald Air trip a few years ago and we saw hardly any bears. The Rust plane was right down the beach from us. Don't go to Brooks Falls. It is waaaay too crowded.

Call and ask Rust's about June 15. They will have a better feel for the bear population and movements by then. Enjoy!!!!

Thanks for the feedback. I will check out their other flights. Waiting till June sounds logical. My only problem would be hotel lodging in Anchorage. We would only stay in Anch if we had a specific thing to do otherwise we will take the am train on the 3rd to Seward as we do not cruise until the 6th.

Thanks for the feedback. I will check out their other flights. Waiting till June sounds logical. My only problem would be hotel lodging in Anchorage. We would only stay in Anch if we had a specific thing to do otherwise we will take the am train on the 3rd to Seward as we do not cruise until the 6th.

If you have that much time, I would rent a car, drive to Homer (about 4 hours) and take the Hallo Bay trip. http://www.hallobay.com/ It is by far the best bear trip.

The people that own the camp LIVE there all summer. It is the only private camp in the Katmai. They know on any given day where the bears are. You fly from Homer to the Katmai. The one day trip is cheaper than Rust's Katmai trip and only slightly more expensive than Redoubt Bay.

You can enjoy Homer for a day or two, go back to Anchorage for the train OR get a one way rental to Seward and drive yourself to the ship. I love Homer so much we bought a summer place there. Lots to do and SPECTACULAR scenery.

Wow, Beautiful pictures! Thank you for the link to Hallo Bay. How long out do you think I would need to make reservations? Would it be best to drive from Anchorage to Homer or from Seward to Homer. I am trying to decide to do this type of trip or glacier/dogsleding. I have done the dog sled but I am taking my two teenage boys this summerand they have never been. They are inclined to go on a float plane. What do think?

Wow, Beautiful pictures! Thank you for the link to Hallo Bay. How long out do you think I would need to make reservations? Would it be best to drive from Anchorage to Homer or from Seward to Homer. I am trying to decide to do this type of trip or glacier/dogsleding. I have done the dog sled but I am taking my two teenage boys this summerand they have never been. They are inclined to go on a float plane. What do think?

I love your screen name-can just see your kids saying that.

You will have plenty of glacier opportunities on the cruise.

Being 30 feet from 2 4 year old female bears for over 1/2 hour is truly an experience you will treasure for life. If I knew how to post the picture I would. JohnQ has seen the pictures. Or you can email me-greatam@earthlink.net and I will send you the pictures.

Book Hallo Bay as soon as you know that is what you want to do. The sooner the better, as they only take 8 people at a time at their camp.

I personally would rent a car to drive to Homer. You can usually get one in Anchorage on Priceline. All the big car rental places are there.

If you don't want to rent a car, you can take the Homer Stage. It would cost $330.00 for three, Anchorage to Homer and Homer to Seward. Actually cheaper than the rental (expect about $40.00 per day, gas and transport to Seward after you return the rental car.) http://homerstageline.com/

Take the shuttle on the afternoon of the 3rd to Homer (after you have had a morning in Anchorage), enjoy the scenery down from Anchorage, go bear viewing on the 4th (although allow an extra day, in case it is foggy and you cannot fly TO Hallo Bay or cannot get out of Hallo Bay). On the 5th, you are either at Hallo Bay, enjoying Homer or on your way to Seward. Maybe one day sightseeing in Seward and then your cruise. Homer Stage can also get you to your cruise from Homer at just about the PERFECT time-2:00PM.

There are plenty of float planes all over Alaska. You will fly on a pretty small plane if you go bear viewing. There is also fishing at the Homer Spit (fishing license can be purchased online and poles can be rented right on the spit for $10.00pp per day). Halibut fishing on charters out of Homer. Bald Eagles all over Homer. The drive out East End Road to the little hippie grocery store about 15 miles East of Homer is absolutely spectacular. Lodging in Homer ranges from B & B to high end, all amenities hotels.

Ohh Boy! I really need to make some major decisons here. Part of the problem (that I failed to share with you initially) is we have reservations in Seward on the 5th for a fishin/wildlife charter and accomadations there for the 4th and 5th. Mmm 4 hour drive each way we need two days. I may have to rethink the whole thing.That is why I originally was looking at using Rusts out of Anchorage. Thank you again for enlightening me (I think)

Archived