LIVE from the Island Princess - 15-day to Hawaii

BBQ Bill

We arranged transportation through Grand Transportation (714-747-1233 - ask for Pete) for a group of six. Pete met us at the baggage claim with a sign and assisted with our luggage. We had a large van that easily accomodated the six of us and ALL of our luggage. Great service!

Stayed at the Best Western in San Pedro the night before we sailed - five minutes from the ship. Accomodations were fine - clean rooms and free shuttle to the cruise ship (make a reservation when you check in).

Highly recommend the Green Onion Mexican restaurant next door - the food and the Margaritas were excellent!

We arrived at the pier at 11:00 a.m. - walked right in; however, we waited in the Platinum lounge for a hour before boarding. We did not recieve our luggage in to time to change for dinner, but it was waiting for us when we returned from dinner.

As a chef, I must say (unlike a number of the posts I read before sailing) that the food is excellent). The service has been outstanding to this point. The staff has been very accomodating - we have one person in our group that is on a low sodium diet (she had indicated this online) and the head waiter came to our table with the menu for the next evening, let her choose what she wanted and it was prepared without any salt!

The first couple days have been cool and windy, so recommend long pants and jackets for the beginning of the trip!

Having a great time and we'll keep you updated on our adventure!

Bill

I have been following you on the web cam. I could tell by the White Caps Tuesday & Wednesday, it was a little rough and windy. But it looked like the sun came out in the afternoon.

Sounds like the chef is doing a great job in the kitchen, let us know the opinions of the low salt food. Have you had a CC roll call meeting yet?

What is the cost of the Coke sticker? Are there many young people (under 18) on your sailing?

Keep us posted and take care, your DS

Vicki

We just got off the Island Tuesday and loved it (seperate review posted), the Coke sticker was $52.50.

Enjoy your cruise Bill, we sure did. If yo haven't already make sure the Cruise Director Richard knows about your Cruise Critic group, he will help set up a get together

Bill, thanks for starting this Live from the Island post. It is great to live vicariously through another cruiser when one is at home or work in the cold of the winter. I hope the rest of your cruise continues to be wonderful.

Will be watching for all your comments.

Are you in a balcony cabin? Can you enjoy your balcony at all at this point?

Will be interested when you get out of slacks and jackets:).

We are out of the long pants and jackets (actually we were out of them yesterday afternoon) - it is a beautiful 70 and sunny with calm seas. We are taking full advantage of our balcony today!! Also walked around the deck - absolutely wonderful day!

Went to the dice horseracing this morning - they brought it back after a year!

Our friend who is ordering the low sodium meals is very pleased with the food. We are also enjoying lunch in the dining room - very, very good! We will be dining at the Bayou Cafe on Sunday evening (Anniversary dinner) and will let you know what we think.

Richard (Cruise Director) is planning a CC Party for later on in the trip - great fun to get together with everyone I've been corresponding with over the past few months!

Having a great time and will try to keep up with the posts!

Aloha,

Bill

We are out of the long pants and jackets (actually we were out of them yesterday afternoon) - it is a beautiful 70 and sunny with calm seas. We are taking full advantage of our balcony today!!

Bill

So glad to here the weather's better and that you're enjoying your cruise.

Did you win $ at the races?

Thanks so much for writing this during the cruise. I was on the Jan.21st cruise and it was great. We had dinner in the Bayou and enjoyed it very much. Hope you do too.

We had calm seas going and coming, hope you do too.

It is fun to re-live my cruise by reading your notes.

Thanks again, look forward to hearing more from you.

WCC

I was on the Jan 21 cruise with West Coast Cruiser, and loved it too. I'm looking forward to reliving it through your posts. Wish we were back onboard.

Thanks for posting from the ship. We'll be following you on both your thread and on the bridge cam.

flamomo

Thanks so much for the Island Princess information. We are going with friends next January 26, 2007 and were curious about the weather before we hit Hawaii. Appreciate any tips you can give us too about excursions you choose.

For all of you reading this, how do I start the next cruise time countdown?

Thanks!

twoshots

Jan & Rich:cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the slow response so many things are happening in our family now, Ranae and I have not had the time to write about the trip. This weekend we'll sit down and tell all about our rainy adventure.

Archived