No more credit given to PVPs for “on hold” cruises

audcc77

On 2/25/2023 at 12:27 PM, GingerMT/TX said:

A good PVP is worth a lot!  I’ve had the same one for 20 years since I started cruising and the same PVP as my BF.  Today I noticed a new offer, and price checked one of my booked cruises (14-day Alaska next April) -it looked like a savings so I called her. She called me back within the hour and changed the booking on that cruise AND said she thought it would lower my balance on the 12-day Pride cruise in August-total savings just under $1000!  In order for her to do changes like this without fees etc., she has to do the original booking.

Is it the 12 day Pride cruise out of London on August 20th? I’m on that one too. Thanks for the heads up I’m going to check and see if I have a price drop with any of my offers. 

• 2 months later...

What if you miss the 48-hour hold? Say it expired… is it then considered a new booking all over again? Honestly, I did more research and am not interested in a cove balcony any longer so I want to change cabins. Can I use my PVP for that after it expires and she gets the credit?

Edited by itswendyh
Added to..

11 minutes ago, itswendyh said:

What if you miss the 48-hour hold? Say it expired… is it then considered a new booking all over again? Honestly, I did more research and am not interested in a cove balcony any longer so I want to change cabins. Can I use my PVP for that?

If you don't have a hold anymore then what are you asking? There is no hold so why couldn't you use a PVP?

I did know of this policy change and wanted to book a cruise last Friday, so I placed the cruise on hold until late Sunday since my PVP was on vacation.  Today, my PVP called me and left a VM for me and placed that same cruise/stateroom on hold.  When I returned his call, he did not inform me of the policy change, but completed my booking.  I assume (hope) he is getting credit for the sale.  

11 minutes ago, mz-s said:

If you don't have a hold anymore then what are you asking? There is no hold so why couldn't you use a PVP?

It is still on hold. I’m waiting for it to expire so I can book a higher deck. Sorry I wasn’t clear. But once it expires, if I’m looking at the same itinerary with my PVP, they will get credit? 

1 minute ago, itswendyh said:

It is still on hold. I’m waiting for it to expire so I can book a higher deck. Sorry I wasn’t clear. But once it expires, if I’m looking at the same itinerary with my PVP, they will get credit? 

You can call your PVP now and tell them to book it for you. They can cancel out the hold and book the deck you want.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
16 hours ago, weston479 said:

So a few years late to the PVP not getting credit for a cruise you put on hold and have them finish the booking. So does anyone know how much time needs to pass from when the hold expires to when I could have them book the cruise to get the credit for it?

Just cancel the hold.  

So since I'm going to try the PVP route next time, how do you initially tell a good PVP from an average one?  I keep getting spam promos sent to me from "my PVP", which, since I've never used a PVP before, the promos I'm sent are a miss. I don't want to call and get transferred to that person just because they are actively trying to sell to me.

5 minutes ago, DeniseTr said:

So since I'm going to try the PVP route next time, how do you initially tell a good PVP from an average one?  I keep getting spam promos sent to me from "my PVP", which, since I've never used a PVP before, the promos I'm sent are a miss. I don't want to call and get transferred to that person just because they are actively trying to sell to me.

If you use the site that shall not be named, you could do a search for Carnival PVP and look through what comes up. Good luck!

21 hours ago, weston479 said:

So a few years late to the PVP not getting credit for a cruise you put on hold and have them finish the booking. So does anyone know how much time needs to pass from when the hold expires to when I could have them book the cruise to get the credit for it?

24 hrs after your hold is cancelled 

Carnival isn't playing nice with their PVPs with regards to customers putting holds and then PVP not getting credit. I can go do my own booking on Carnival, and as long as it has not been 90 days since booking, my big box can take over the booking and get a commission for doing so even though they had zero to do with the initial sale. 

Edited by n6uqqq

4 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

Carnival isn't playing nice with their PVPs with regards to customers putting holds and then PVP not getting credit. I can go do my own booking on Carnival, and as long as it has not been 90 days since booking, my big box can take over the booking and get a commission for doing so even though they had zero to do with the initial sale. 

Cut off their noses to spite their faces

• Like 1

4 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

Does the big box give you OBC or something for the sale?

Just now, ninjacat123 said:

Does the big box give you OBC or something for the sale?

Yes, for the same exact rate as Carnival you get a shop card, which on the more expensive cruises can be substantial. My last 14 day to Hawaii from Long Beach was about 4 thousand and my shop card I got after the cruise was for $330 . 

37 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

Yes, for the same exact rate as Carnival you get a shop card, which on the more expensive cruises can be substantial. My last 14 day to Hawaii from Long Beach was about 4 thousand and my shop card I got after the cruise was for $330 . 

That is impressive. Is a shop card like a pre paid Visa that you can use anywhere?

3 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

That is impressive. Is a shop card like a pre paid Visa that you can use anywhere?

It is good at the big box that I transferred the cruise to. They also accept carnival gift cards for payment so I use the AARP ones every time for additional savings. I spend so much at the club the shop card is a good as cash to me 😉 . 

Edited by n6uqqq

1 minute ago, n6uqqq said:

It is good at the big box that I transferred the cruise to. They also accept carnival gift cards for payment so I use the AARP ones every time for additional savings. I spend so much at the club the money is a good as cash to me 😉 . 

Thx for detailing all this!

Just now, ninjacat123 said:

Thx for detailing all this!

No problemo. Of course this is only information and not an endorsement per the rules here. I book on Carnival myself because it would be unfair to use a PVP and then take the booking away from them. I will use a PVP for shorter cruises sometimes because then I can leave the 2nd passenger as TBA. The club agency won't allow a TBA. I like to book two years out because now the prices only seem to be going one way............up! 

10 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

No problemo. Of course this is only information and not an endorsement per the rules here. I book on Carnival myself because it would be unfair to use a PVP and then take the booking away from them. I will use a PVP for shorter cruises sometimes because then I can leave the 2nd passenger as TBA. The club agency won't allow a TBA. I like to book two years out because now the prices only seem to be going one way............up! 

Totally agree! Both DH and I will be using our 25th cruise OBC on our London cruise in 2026 but after that, who knows what we’ll be doing regarding cruise lines. We obviously love Carnival but need to keep our financial options open.

Edited by ninjacat123

On 2/25/2023 at 9:19 AM, Knights on the Beach said:

She had posted her phone number on her page

They have pages?....My PVP never calls me, I usually do all the leg work and sometimes will call him to book as I dont think he is interested in doing the legwork just in doing the booking.  Think I've maybe booked 3 cruises through him usually since for the last nine years every time I've emailed him to look into a cruise for us there is no reply.  Tried to request a new one once and immediately he was on the phone to me asking what i would like to book.  Glad for all of you that have a great one.

22 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

They have pages?....My PVP never calls me, I usually do all the leg work and sometimes will call him to book as I dont think he is interested in doing the legwork just in doing the booking.  Think I've maybe booked 3 cruises through him usually since for the last nine years every time I've emailed him to look into a cruise for us there is no reply.  Tried to request a new one once and immediately he was on the phone to me asking what i would like to book.  Glad for all of you that have a great one.

She has a FB page and posts her hours daily and any info about new itineraries, etc. She's very responsive. Apparently I had a PVP like yours and his name was on emails I got from Carnival. When I actually decided to book with him, I my emails went unanswered. I had seen my now current PVP's name mentioned in several groups on FB so I reached out to her in 2021 and have since booked several cruises with her.

• Like 1