Seward to Anchorage, how do we get there??

cruz4us2

There are several ways to make that transfer. There is a train that goes directly from Seward to Anchorage, or there is bus service or you can rent a car. The cruise line will also have ground transfers available. The problem you will have is making the connections after you leave the ship. You can investigate all the options on the internet to see what works best for you.

I have driven from Seward to Anchorage, and if you can reserve a rental car with a drop off in Anchorage that would be your best option. It's a very scenic drive and you can visit the glacier lake, and theres a renown ski resort with a tram that takes you to the top of the mountain, both right off the highway. The next best option would be the train, which also provides a very scenic trip.

There are several decent hotels in Seward in case you are interested in spending a night there.

Petert

What also might help you is to go to the Ports of Call board under Alaska. There is a wealth of information there and a couple of people who cruise Alaska all of the time. One actually lives there.

Marilyn

My wife and I went on a Celebrity Mercury cruise from Vancouver to Seward about 5 years ago. I researched all the options and came to the conclusion that a one-way car rental was best for me. We rented from Hertz - their rental office was about 1/4 mile from the Seward pier. It was an easy walk for me (age 37 at the time).

The reason I chose to rent a car was to take advantage of the wonderful sightseeing opportunities along the way. In addition to those mentioned by Petert, we also took a side trip to Whittier. To get there, you drive through the Whittier Tunnel. Additionally we visited Exit Glacier and Portage Lake

We stated overnight in Anchorage before returning to Seattle. I was also nice to have a car in Anchorage.

I would suggest taking the train. It's a beautiful trip and will take you right into Anchorage, just a short distance from most downtown hotels. If I remember correctly, the train leaves Seward around 6 pm in the evening and arrives in Anchorage around 10 pm. You don't have to worry about dropping off the car, or finding parking, and we locals won't have to get grumpy when you stop traffic on the Seward Highway to take pictures of the sheep! :D I happen to work at a large museum in downtown Anchorage, so just let me know if you want more info on things to do around town...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

We are leaving Anchorage going to Seward and leaving there for our cruise. I am looking for a train that might leave sometime late morning... and the only thing I have come across is like 6:00am. Do you know of any that leave a bit later? The train at 6:pm will get us into Seward too late. HELP!

We will be in Anchorage for two and a half days.... any MUST SEEs that you would recommend?

Thanks for any help. Joan

In Anchorage the Museum of History and Art is tops. And if you are there on a weekend, what I would refer to as the Saturday Market is a lot of fun. For special Alaska souvenirs, the Native Hospital on Tudor has beautiful crafts - all made by Alaskans, not imported. Nancy

I would suggest driving if you have the time. We did the reverse, staying in Anchorage. What I would strongly recommend, again if you have the time, is to take a right about a third of the way up the Seward Highway and go to Kenai. It is a beautiful drive and the Princess Kenai Lodge is very nice and you will probably find it a bit more "Alaska" than spending more than a night in Anchorage.

Also, when in Anchorage, a drive to the Native American Cultural Center is well worth it.

Why don't you give up a day in Anchorage and take the Alaska train down to Seward. It's a great ride. Then stay the last night at the Holiday Inn Express (across the street from train station. Then you can get up the next morning at your leisure, have a nice breakfast in their room while watching your ship and then go to the ship by taxi. Heck, you can go, on the day you arrive in Seward, to their sealife place. Remember that Anchorage is 4 hours behind the east coast time. Getting up at 5 really could really be our 9.

Thanks for all of your help. Still making a decision - knowing we don't have a lot of time. One thing we have looked into is taking a Limo Tour from Anchorage to Seward...a little pricey but is another option.

Anyone ever thak this type of transportation?

Joan

Hello

We will be in Anchorage for two and a half days.... any MUST SEEs that you would recommend?

Thanks for any help. Joan

Check out Prince William Sound small ship excursion from Whittier. There are rail/PWS tour trips daily from ANC. We did this ship a couple years ago and you get close to alot of glaciers - good trip but we had drizzly uncomfortable weather but that's AK - check http://www.26glaciers.com

On the "Alaska" board there's an "Alaska Cheat Sheet" posting with all kinds of recommendations for different AK locations.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Anyone interested in sharing a limo from Anchorage to Steward on June 10th? We will leave about 8:00am - make various stops along the way as well as a brief tour of Steward and then get to the cruise line about 5:00-6:00pm. We are leaving on the Celebrity Summit.

Working on details and price - should know shortly.

My e-mail is joansue@netzero.net

Joan Sue

Highest recommendation for kenai fjords boat tour in Seward, no problem doing it immediately after your cruise pulls in.

You can easily take a cab to exit glacier nearby.

I took the train but if I wasn't alone a car would have been a nice option, to check out some areas around there like kenai/whittier.

I went to Kodiak island after my cruise, really nice experience if you have the time for a longer add-on.

Highest recommendation for kenai fjords boat tour in Seward, no problem doing it immediately after your cruise pulls in.

I absolutely recommend this. I took a post-tour through HAL in 2004, and it was one of the highlights of the trip. It's a little pricey, but well worth it. After the tour(all day) I was taken to pick up my luggage and then dropped off at the airport for my evening flight.

Marie

Archived