Star Princess: Why the change to Montego Bay from Ocho

jayrob

Does anyone know why Princess changed the Jamaica port to Montego Bay from Ocho Rios?

My family was REALLY looking forward to Dunn's River Falls but from Montego Bay a 2 hour bus ride is just not feasible. ( 4 hours there and back )

A long bus ride in Jamaica is horrible from previous experience. I'll be cruising in April, so I'm still holding out hope that Princess switches back to Ocho.

On another note, is there a similar type adventure in Montego Bay?

Thanks,

Jay

Usually the change is due to too many ships in port at Ocho Rios. I don't like either, and especially do not like Montego Bay, so if we are in Jamaica we stay on board. When we were in MB on the Star last year, those folks who took the excursion to Duns River Falls got into a real mess. The skies opened up with torrential rains. The roads from Ocho to MB were literally washed away. Nine busloads were stuck. The locals had to rebuild roads so the buses could get back to the ship. They finally did but not until 1 and 2 a.m. It was a terrible, frightening experience for those people. Now, of course, that is not always going to happen, but I would least like it to happen in Jamaica!!

We were on the Star last year. We also went to Montego Bay. After getting off the ship and into the town, I couldn't get back to the ship fast enough. If at anytime I end up there again I would stay on the ship.

You would think with a spot where a Bond film was made they would use that and clean the peir up. It does have a stink at the dock. But that all said we went to Doctors Cave which is a beach 10 minutes by cab. Six US Dollars a person cover charge. 25 dollars by the time you have two beach chairs and an umbrella. Good food at the Groovy Grouper. two beers to your lounge chair and a 1 dollar tip to the server was 5 US dollars. Margaritaville is just up the street a few hundred yards. People in Jamica Mon have British type maners so when you say " No Thank You" they mostly listen.Sorry not interested it that today thank you. Or if all else fails " The Hand" works. I liked the stop myself. JIHO

We also went to Margaritaville. It was fun. The only thing that I found disappointing was it was rather small for the amount of people that were there. Very crowded. Music was good and loud, food you not too bad, along with the drinks. Got a couple of T-shirts. We were there a couple of hours but that was enough, was extremely hot that day and with all the people, the ship was a welcome site.

I was hoping to pass on Cozumel due to the long tendering delay. But with the negative feedback on Mo Bleh, looks like I'll be rethinking my plans.

I still don't get it, even with many ships stopping in Ocho Rios, why would Princess move aside for the others? They've had this itinery in place for a year. If it was weather related I could understand. But that does not appear to be the case.

It's aparent that Mo Bay is an inferior port. I chose The Star Princess based on the itinery because I have seen the Eastern side, now I wish I had booked the newer Caribbean Princess. Maybe if enough people complained they might switch back. Any thoughts?

Oh well I'm sure I'll still have a great time but I just wish Princess would change back to Ocho Rios even with all the other cruise ships there.

We were in Cozumel on the Zenith this past January and did not find the tendering process long at all. No mistake choosing the Star over the Caribbean Princess!!!!! Basically same ships, but the CB has 500 more pax, and you feel it. Don't like that ship at all, but love the Star.

Just got back from the Star on 3/5. I had been to Jamaica before years ago, and opted to take an independent tour to Negril (about 1 and 1/2 hours drive or less). It was a very good choice. I think Negril has the most beautiful beach of all the ports on the intinerary. We chose A-Z Planners based on reviews on the Ports Board. It was great. Clive picked us up at the ship and we had a private tour in a van to Negril, pointing out sights on the way with Bob Marley on the CD player. Negril has been built up since my last visit, but the beach is great. We stopped at the Tree House Hotel, and had use of the facilities (changing rooms, loungers, pool and jacuzzi, water sports (for $) and an very good beach side restaurant. Then we drove to "downtown" Negril, and to the famous Rick's Cafe for souvenirs and photo ops. Then to Mo Bay for shopping and back to the ship. 9 hours, and $38 each! The trip was cheaper and more extensive than the Ship Excursion, and they were a few yards away at Margaritaville in Negril. We gave Clive a good tip, especially as noone else came. The van seats 6 or 8. I think Negril is a better choice than Ocho Rios anyway. Once you've seen one waterfall......Although the "hawkers" were most aggressive, it did not ruin our stay.

We were on Star in January...spent 2.00 to take a taxi to SUNSET BEACH resort.... 40.00 each for the day.....lazy river was great...food was ok..

all you could drink....beach was nice/almost empty!

I've heard of people paying for a one day pass at an all inclusive resort in Ocho Rios, but does anyone know of a similar resort in Mo Bay?

We are planning to spend our day in Mo' Bay at the Sunset Beach resort. They charge cruise passengers $40 pp for open bar, food (they have a beachside grill and a couple of sit-down and/or buffet restaurants), use of all the facilities, beach chairs, towels, water slide, pools, etc. It's supposed to be a 5-10 minute taxi ride from the pier. Lots of favorable reviews on the Jamaica Port board. They have a web site as well.

Thanks for the info on the one day resorts. Sounds like a good possibility.

Any more of you recent Star passengers have a good/bad experience in Mo Bay you'd like to share? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Archived