Kauai Transportation

ERNLYN

On 3/20/2023 at 6:30 AM, Ref611 said:

Question.

how much would it cost if I waited in line at the cruise terminal to take a taxi on a 14 minute 6 mile ride?

I contacted the taxicab company and they want to charge  $100 to reserve a taxi for a round-trip. 
from reading the posts  in this string I don’t know if I should take a chance and wait in line or just pay the money and let it be hassle free.
I am also looking into Uber and Lyft solutions.

Going to be on island April 27

I have my vacation itinerary planned this is the only one giving me agita 

thanks

E78EC185-4B5B-49B4-8096-054DE10CBF3D.jpeg

Can you let us know how the taxi line looked when you were there on April 27th? Did you end up using Uber? Or did you pre-book a taxi? What company did you call to prebook that gave you the $100 quote? Thanks in advance!

We were on Kauai a couple of weeks ago (May 2023) and used Kauai Taxi Co.  We reserved what we wanted for a 3 legged trip for 3 adults with backpacks.  It was $45 for each leg ($135 paid before we left town).  It was expensive but worth it for me not having to worry about the rides.  They were prompt, sent advance notices that they were coming, and worked with us when we had to shift schedules a little bit.

When we got off the ship there were about 6 or so taxis lined up for the passengers.  I mentioned this to our friendly driver about not having to "reserve" a taxi.  She said that all the taxis would be gone in 30 minutes, and it would be hard to find one.

On the second leg of our trip, the driver gave us the price ($16.80) before I told her it was a prepaid trip.  She checked and thanked us.  Yes, I feel a little bit "put out" knowing what I had paid.  But it was worth it for me not to worry about transportation.

I prebooked on line.  Their response was prompt, if not thorough.  I called the telephone number, and they answered promptly and explained and answered my questions.  Yes, I would recommend using them.

If you are young and like to walk, that might be a different thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, georgiacat said:

When we got off the ship there were about 6 or so taxis lined up for the passengers.  I mentioned this to our friendly driver about not having to "reserve" a taxi.  She said that all the taxis would be gone in 30 minutes, and it would be hard to find one.

More like 30 seconds 😄

Reserving on Kauai is the way to go.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, mlgb said:

Any recent experience with the taxi situation? I had tried to call Budget/Avis to confirm but neither of their listed local numbers work.

Can't help on the taxis, but in May 2024, we used the Avis/Budget shuttle. We reserved with Budget and used their shuttle, if you do, plan to get off the ship 1st thing, i.e. get in the gangplank line, the shuttle filled fast and people we left waiting for the next.

• Like 2

On 8/29/2024 at 4:03 PM, mlgb said:

Any recent experience with the taxi situation? I had tried to call Budget/Avis to confirm but neither of their listed local numbers work.

Not good.

30-45 minute wait if you are not the first 5 parties off the ship.

• Haha 1

On 3/11/2023 at 4:13 AM, ERNLYN said:

Are there taxis waiting at port to hire? Are there taxis at the airport to transport passengers to the port? 

We just got off POA. Rented a car from Hertz at airport in Kauai. On Thursday taxis were waiting at terminal and we stepped into one immediately upon stepping off ship. Nice chatty guy who gave us phone number to call for pickup at end of day. We just did one day rental. At end of day called number and same guy arrived in 10 minutes. Also he used meter unlike on Maui and in Hilo and ride was cheaper than other islands. No problem with taxi in Kauai.

Edited by philv
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, philv said:

We just got off POA. Rented a car from Hertz at airport in Kauai. On Thursday taxis were waiting at terminal and we stepped into one immediately upon stepping off ship. Nice chatty guy who gave us phone number to call for pickup at end of day. We just did one day rental. At end of day called number and same guy arrived in 10 minutes. Also he used meter unlike on Maui and in Hilo and ride was cheaper than other islands. No problem with taxi in Kauai.

There are less than 100 licensed taxis on Kauai for the airport, cruise port and the three population areas. Lihue only has 8,000 people. With 2,000 people on board, it depends how many need a cab. Our last four trips on Princess there was a huge line for cabs. Luckily we usually get cars from Avis, who sends a van to the port.

• Thanks 1

Don’t know what to tell you Bear. We got off ship shortly after 8:00. 3 cabs were at taxi area. No one else was waiting for cab or was behind us looking for cab. Lots of people milling around waiting for tours and whatnot. There was a trolley type free bus at terminal shuttling people over to beach and shopping area nearby. At end of day when we called back for pickup at Hertz person who answered phone said Carl, our morning driver, was just dropping someone at cruise terminal and would be there in 10 minutes. And he was. Maybe it’s the time of year or something but our experience was easy. 

On 9/1/2024 at 5:40 PM, philv said:

Don’t know what to tell you Bear. We got off ship shortly after 8:00. 3 cabs were at taxi area. No one else was waiting for cab or was behind us looking for cab. Lots of people milling around waiting for tours and whatnot. There was a trolley type free bus at terminal shuttling people over to beach and shopping area nearby. At end of day when we called back for pickup at Hertz person who answered phone said Carl, our morning driver, was just dropping someone at cruise terminal and would be there in 10 minutes. And he was. Maybe it’s the time of year or something but our experience was easy. 

I've been on two post Covid Princess LA round trip cruises (2022 & '23) and both times the taxi stand was slammed with a 30-45 minute wait. I am flying to Kauai tomorrow from Oahu, we'll be renting a car, but I'll try to glance at the taxi line-up at LIH.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, mlgb said:

Any update on Lihue Taxi Situation?

Can't comment on cruise port taxis, that trip is NEXT month, but I (we) flew from Oahu to Lihue last week (we are still in Poipu) and there were very few cabs at the airport, maybe 4 or 5. I am sure more come and go, but the whole island is only 70,000 people and Lihue is only 8,500. Most visitors rent cars.

On 9/1/2024 at 12:37 AM, philv said:

Did you happen to notice if Avis was running shuttles?  I've been trying to contact the rental desk at Lihue but cannot reach anyone.  Thanks.

36 minutes ago, strobellayjam said:

Did you happen to notice if Avis was running shuttles?  I've been trying to contact the rental desk at Lihue but cannot reach anyone.  Thanks.

Avis/Budget ran a shuttle before Covid and has had a shuttle at the port my last two Hawaii cruises (2022 and 2023).

21 minutes ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

Avis/Budget ran a shuttle before Covid and has had a shuttle at the port my last two Hawaii cruises (2022 and 2023).

Thanks, I’m aware of this pre covid and your recent experience as you so kindly shared. Just looking to see from those who have been there even more recently to see if this is still the case. I will continue try contacting the rental location directly in hopes of getting in touch with someone. Appreciate the help. 

7 minutes ago, strobellayjam said:

Thanks, I’m aware of this pre covid and your recent experience as you so kindly shared. Just looking to see from those who have been there even more recently to see if this is still the case. I will continue try contacting the rental location directly in hopes of getting in touch with someone. Appreciate the help. 

I have a car reserved with Avis on Oct. 22, 2024 and I am confident the shuttle will be there. I cannot imagine why they'd stop when it is bringing them good business. I am surprised more rental agencies haven't brought back their shuttles.

22 minutes ago, strobellayjam said:

In my post #31 of this thread I mentioned that the shuttle was running in May this year (2024) and it was filled 1st thing. For whatever reason having shuttle service on Kawaii must be more profitable than the other POA stops on Maui and the big island? BTW, The last shuttle leaves at 4:00 from the airport so plan accordingly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

I have a car reserved with Avis on Oct. 22, 2024 and I am confident the shuttle will be there. I cannot imagine why they'd stop when it is bringing them good business. I am surprised more rental agencies haven't brought back their shuttles.

I agree. Perhaps it’s a staffing issue. Hope you enjoy your cruise!

On 9/12/2024 at 3:30 PM, strobellayjam said:

I didn’t notice.

The discrepancy in time waiting for a taxi might have to do with the timing of the cruise. We were there last week and had no problem, but the driver told us that starting this coming week taxi drivers were going to be very busy because “cruise season is starting”. Apparently the other cruise lines are starting their winter cruises now that Alaska is finishing. More ships will now be in port.

• Like 3