Bed options for PS Zaandam

kiwiKeith

What are the bed options for penthouse on Zanndam? We are considering PS for two adults and two children - 7 and 5 year old girls. From what I have read, the sofa bed is a queen and cannot be made as two singles. Can the main king bed be made up as two singles? I can see some advantage in having the children in the main bed area as there appears to be a curtain that can be used to partition the bed off from the rest of the room. How effective is the curtain at blocking light etc?

How comfortable would the sofa queen be for the bill payers?

We have stayed in the PS on Rotterdam and Volendam, and you will have plenty of room for a roll away bed. The king bed in the bedroom is a king and can not be separated. The queen bed is a fold down from the area of the desk and stereo console if you look in the photos. You will see two door that open, and that is where the bed is. The PS is huge, and you also have two bathrooms, and a nice pantry area with a full sized fridge, minue the freezer portion. We enjoyed having breakfast served in the PS when we were in Alaska last May. The table does indeed seat six very nicely. I hope that you enjoy your cruise.

Thanks everyone.

Would an "S" be large enough for a family of 4 (2 x adults, 2 x children)? From the floor plans I have seen, an "S" can have main bed made up as two single. How roomy is an "S" (not PS) with the sofa bed made up as a queen? When is the sofa bed made up/put away? Is there any curtain around the main bed area in an "S", I'm not concerned about my adults privacy but rather concerned that the children can go to sleep and still let the adults use the room without distrubing them

We've seen many families of four stay in the "S" suites so they must manage fine but we would not like it. The "S" are a large room.....not divided like the "PS" into a bedroom,living room and dining room. (In addition to 1 1/2 baths and the pantry.)

The steward will do as you wish. Pull out the sofa bed each evening and make it for the children. Then, in the morning he can stow it away again if that is what you want. I have seen (when cabin doors are left open and we pass by) that many people seem to want the bed left down during the day. Perhaps the children are young and they want them to nap??

In the Caribbean, the nights are so beautifully mild, the adults might be very happy sitting on the verandah which would allow the children to go to sleep in a quiet room.

We went through the same dilemma with the Zuiderdam....would an SA work for the 4 of us? We decided that the room was certainly large enough, but that the configuration was such that there was no way to segregate the bedroom portion (us) from the sitting area (kids).

On the 'Z', there was no curtain.

So we considered getting a 2nd adjoining cabin...a cat VA...but then whomever was placed in that cabin would not have the same 'suite privledges' as the rest of us.

So the answer was the PS. We'll be getting a rollaway and moving a little furniture....and having that 2nd bathroom is a huge help.

If money allows, I would definitely go with the PS. We have never been disapointed, and it is truly a wonderful way to enjoy the cruise with plenty of room and facilities for everyone.

The queen bed is a fold down from the area of the desk and stereo console if you look in the photos. You will see two door that open, and that is where the bed is.

I thought it was a "sofa bed", this sounds like a bed that folds down out of the wall? I have not found any photos that show the desk/stereo console area, any links to photos?

Archived