Cruising Ducks - Yes or No ?

wowzz

I am a member of a roll call for a future cruise, and am amazed that one fellow cruiser has announced that she will be bringing onboard 100 cruising ducks,  plus duck jewellery sets, all to be hidden on the ship. I am appalled at the whole idea - so much plastic tat, yet others on the roll call seem to think the whole idea is excellent.

Am I being more of a grumpy old man than normal ?

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I am a member of a roll call for a future cruise, and am amazed that one fellow cruiser has announced that she will be bringing onboard 100 cruising ducks,  plus duck jewellery sets, all to be hidden on the ship. I am appalled at the whole idea - so much plastic tat, yet others on the roll call seem to think the whole idea is excellent.

Not really, I think it's a bit tacky as well, but for those families with younger children I can perhaps see the fun aspect of it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Probably, but I agree with you.

We are wondering how this habit fits with removal of plastic from cruise ships to stop unnecessary plastic pollution of the Oceans.  They may not be single use, but totally unnecessary.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Not really, I think it's a bit tacky as well, but for those families with younger children I can perhaps see the fun aspect of it.

Agreed,  but I dont think there will be many families with young children going to the Baltic in July. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tring said:

Probably, but I agree with you.

We are wondering how this habit fits with removal of plastic from cruise ships to stop unnecessary plastic pollution of the Oceans.  They may not be single use, but totally unnecessary.

On our last cruise the lady on the roll call leading this jolly seemed to be bringing knitted ducks. So they should be more environmentally friendly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

On our last cruise the lady on the roll call leading this jolly seemed to be bringing knitted ducks. So they should be more environmentally friendly.

No worries about that - even a grumpy  old git like me thinks that is quite sweet.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Except it is not wool that is used nowadays.  If it were to go/blow into the sea, they could presumably unravel and cause more harm to wildlife.

Don’t know about P&O, but on several American cruise lines, the ducks are insanely popular among many cruisers. 

I’ve found a few ducks myself over the years. I’ll pick them up and put them right back where I found them. No interest in participating. 😂

Personally, I think that the concept is an absolute waste of time and effort (along with some of the elaborate door decorations that some people come up with). But I know that all of these activities bring immense joy to those who choose to participate in them, so I don’t object. 

• Like 4

I have found a few on a P&O ship before and I left them exactly there , but in Spain I came across a duck shop with thousands of different ducks to buy all dressed up , different nationalities etc , I don’t see the need for this unless you want company in your bath 😁

• Haha 3

Some people are so immature. lucky for me my parents put a stop to this and took 

them off me and told me to get out of the bath or I was going to be late for work😉

But to answer the question it's a NO  from me .

• Haha 19

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

I agree fully. Total tat and yet more plastic. My OH has stumbled across a few on our cruises and just hands them in to reception!

It’s actually more fun to play “hunt the sincerity” in a typical P&O Cruises email/response to query

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

I agree with everyone that, unless it was a sort of treasure hunt organised by the on board kids club team, it falls firmly under the ‘tasteless tat’ category and is frankly littering which I shouldn’t think impresses the ships crew, but can somebody please tell me why somebody would do this? I am struggling to understand what the point of it would be. 

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I agree with everyone that, unless it was a sort of treasure hunt organised by the on board kids club team, it falls firmly under the ‘tasteless tat’ category and is frankly littering which I shouldn’t think impresses the ships crew, but can somebody please tell me why somebody would do this? I am struggling to understand what the point of it would be. 

Me too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

but can somebody please tell me why somebody would do this? I am struggling to understand what the point of it would be. 

Looking at other posts, it seems that people who do this sort of thing enjoy the whole creation of the duck and label, and then the actual hiding of the ducks themselves. A sign of a psychological weakness to me.

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Looking at other posts, it seems that people who do this sort of thing enjoy the whole creation of the duck and label, and then the actual hiding of the ducks themselves. A sign of a psychological weakness to me.

I understand that lots of people enjoy craft activities, which I guess that this falls under, but I still don’t understand why they feel the need to place them around the ship, and make an entire multi million pounds cruise ship look like a kids play area. I am obviously missing something (not for the first time)!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Wowzz

I simply can't believe this hasnt got you excited and you won't be joining in!!

Thought this would be right up your street? Lol

(Maybe you could sabotage the game somehow instead?)

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

I have found a few on a P&O ship before and I left them exactly there , but in Spain I came across a duck shop with thousands of different ducks to buy all dressed up , different nationalities etc , I don’t see the need for this unless you want company in your bath 😁

Do they float well in the shower?

• Haha 3

It's an American thing. On a FB group I've seen people getting hundreds of these things custom printed with a band logo which is so incomprehensible to me because 1. It must have cost them, 2. Not everyone likes the same band as you, and 3. WHY

As the owner of a young child, bath toys that are squeezy with a hole in them are a breeding ground for black mould as the water can't escape once it's inside. So these things are no good for young kids even! I guess my son would be happy to find one and I'd let him play with it but not in water.

On NCL they have grab machines with ducks in various designs so maybe that's where the idea originated- people won the ducks and then rehid them around the ship?

My mum crochets (with real wool) small toys and leaves them in local parks for children, I know people paint rocks and leave them to be found and rehidden. Much more environmentally friendly versions of this game!

• Like 1

I came across this for the first time on Aurora last autumn. I think they were woollen ducks, though I didn't pay much attention. It does seem a waste of time and effort - except for the outfits manufacturing and selling them, of course.

• Like 1