Keeping diabetic supplies cold on excursions

How does everyone else handle the insulin and syringes when they go on excursions? We are leaving Sat. on Splendour for Cozumel and Costa Maya. We are concerned with carrying insulin that needs refrigeration and the legal aspect of carring syringes. Any tips would be appreciated.:rolleyes:

Go to a drug store, or some Walmarts and Kmarts carry them. Called Medicool insulin protectors. The blue container inside must be put in ice or a freezer to get cold. They will carry two vials of insulin. That fits inside the soft sided carrier. No problem carrying your syringes. My wife puts those in her purse or fanny pack and has carried them through all kinds of security.

BTW, these come with two of the blue inserts so while using one, the other can be getting cold for the next use.

I have a case called The Travel Organizer. It has room for all my testing supplies as well as room for a few syringes. It comes with two thin packs of syntho ice that you'd freeze and then slip into their compartments in the organizer. It also has a place to store your used supplies/syringes until you can dispose of everything appropriately.

I really like mine, it's very handy & convenient. I bought it off the internet from a company called MEDport. It has two sides, a room temperature side for your testing supplies and a cold side for your insulin & syringes; two separate zippers.

If you dont have one I have used a froze water bottle with mine in a cosmetic bag. I now have a medicbag for use with my meds. I also take along aperscription wrote from my DR. just in case anyone asked why I have my meds with me (mine are a class III) used for other medical reasons but like yours they must stay cool.

thought i'd pass along something i learned from a tablemate from a few cruises ago....

a device from novo nordisk called flexpen. looks like a fountain pen, does NOT have to be refrigerated once started, holds more than a bottle of insulin and you just dial up the amount you need and screw a needle on the end. this has changed the way i travel, not having to request a refrigerator in hotels and on the ship. i inject twice daily 15 and 18 units, pen hols 250 units so it lasts me the whole time im gone although i carry 2 just in case!

How does everyone else handle the insulin and syringes when they go on excursions? We are leaving Sat. on Splendour for Cozumel and Costa Maya. We are concerned with carrying insulin that needs refrigeration and the legal aspect of carring syringes. Any tips would be appreciated.:rolleyes:[/quote

I would check with your pharmacist, because I don't think insulin has to be refrigerated if you're just on a day trip. My daughter is diabetic, and we don't refrigerate it when we go on vacation. Never had a problem with the insulin.

Any of the insulin pens would be a good alternative, along with the cooler packs - I've used them for years with no problems. Now that I have a pump (Minimed 715), it's so much easier to manage without the hassle of finding a quiet/out of view place to load and inject - I can bolus with the pump in my pocket. I also asked them for a fridge in the cabin when I was making the reservation, which also had the side benefit of a place to put the <ahem> bottles of water I brought on :*) The room steward (Daniel) also brought me a sharps container, so that was another less concern.

Enjoy your cruise!

Andy

thanks so much for all the suggestions. I ordered the medicool and I think it will work fine.

Also the reason I want to refrigerate it is, That insulin looses potencey when it is not refrigerated. I understand that not all insulin needs refrigerating, like the novalogs, but one of the ones my daughter takes does need to stay refrigerated.

thanks again

steph

My pharmacy had a small bag like a fanny pack that holds my insulin pen(s) on one side with frozen kool packs, and the other side is a room temp pocket for storage of your test strips (so they will not get too cold or damp). It then has a pocket for needles to go on pen and lancets, and a place for monitor. I love it as it is not too big and cumbersome. I have not had a problem in airports or at the port with carrying my needles in my carryon. They did look through my bag and ask what the needles were for, but I showed them the insulin and my supplies, and the needles were individually wrapped so no red flags were waved. I guess there are more diabetics traveling with supplies. Sometimes I feel like I am the only one. They are always more concerned with my mom's CPAP machine and mask thinking that it is something ready to be detonated at any moment. Ahh, the joys of traveling post 9/11....

Another option you have are the ice-bags that you break when you need cold temperatures. There is a small pouch within the pack that needs to be broken open(we squeeze it), then the chemical reacts with the other chemicals (shake the bag to mix them) which gives you instant icy temperatures. We use them on the fire department all of the time. In your case, you don't need to worry about short term refrigeration with these and a small cooler/container. They can be purchased at any pharmacy or online as well.

How does everyone else handle the insulin and syringes when they go on excursions? We are leaving Sat. on Splendour for Cozumel and Costa Maya. We are concerned with carrying insulin that needs refrigeration and the legal aspect of carring syringes. Any tips would be appreciated.:rolleyes:[/quote

I would check with your pharmacist, because I don't think insulin has to be refrigerated if you're just on a day trip. My daughter is diabetic, and we don't refrigerate it when we go on vacation. Never had a problem with the insulin.

Insulin doesn't have to be refrigerated. It can be stored safely at room temperature. When you leave the ship you will be out in the HEAT and SUN - and so will your insulin. In order to keep it safe - keep in cool in high temperatures.

ALSO...BRING EXTRA INSULIN WITH YOU IN CASE YOU LOSE OR DROP A VIAL. Yes, the med. office on the ship may be able to replace it but not always with the same brand and switching brands may make a difference in how a body responds. Don't take any chances.

As far as the syringes - keep them with their original packaging - or just keep the pharm. label with them and bring along a note from your health care professional. This can be simply written on an RXt

I wear an insulin pump now...but I haven't always done so. Traveled to 15 foreign countries without trouble including some who grope you pretty well before you get on an airplane. Back in my heavy business travel days, I got a letter from my doc explaining why I had all the "toys" with me, but I've never once had to show it to anyone.

I pump Humalog now... Used to use Lilly Ultralente and Humalog, and prior to that... Lilly R and N. Been on a lot of shore excursions, done quite a bit of outdoors work, traveled in excess of 70% of the time for business... never had any trouble. I used to travel with a cold pack, but stopped worrying about it as long as I was able to keep the insulin in the shade, or in my carryon and the outside temp wasn't way above hot. When I first became diabetic, my endocrinologist advised me that unrefridgerated insulin was fine as long as it was used within 30 days. That advice has served me well.

But in any event, I can certainly understand why you'd be more comfortable with something to keep things a little cooler when you're out. The local drug store probably sells any number of diabetic traveler kits that come complete with a cold pack, room for syringes, lancets, etc.

Archived