Bringing my own sheets

nicenspicy

Does anyone else find it hard for to go to sleep in a foreign bed because of the bedding? I don't typically like their sandpaper sheets so I bring my higher TC sheets from home to the hotel. Has anyone else done this? And if so, does the cruise line have a problem cleaning them & getting them back to your room?

I would think that doing 2000 sheets and 4,000 pillow cases each day and an uncountable number of towels, napkins, table cloths, etc., that would be asking an awful lot. Maybe you could send them out with your personal laundry, at a charge. First time in all these years I've seen a questiion like this.

No offense intended -- but do you do that in hotels, too? If not, then why on a floating hotel?

We just got off Galaxy in February -- and the sheets were WONDERFUL. Spotless, brilliantly white -- and very comfy.

Don't be nervous.

Freinds of my husband's family travel with their own sheets all the time. The one responsible for that suitcase full of sheets is considered a kook.

I say unless you supplement your travel baggage with all the TP and Towels that comfort you in the same way, you have a phobia about bedding since the comfort zone touching the body is irregular and selective. :o

Some things you just have to put up with if you're going to travel. One of them is "foreign beds and sheets".

Unless you are on a 14 day cruise, I don't think you would need your sheets changed. If you do and you are still considering packing your own sheets, be aware that you would still have to sleep with their sheets for at least a night, unless you want to pay the same day laundry fee, or you bring a second set of sheets.

The whole ordeal sounds like too much of a hassle to me.

I hate coffee away from home, but I put up with it for a week or more, so I don't have to pack a coffee maker, coffee grounds and coffee filters. Of course, then I'd have to have bottled water (my own) for the coffee maker, so I'd need a couple gallons there, I'm a big coffee drinker.

Believe me when I say I'm a very light sleeper. I have no problem sleeping on the sheets and beds on cruise ships. I suppose it's because I'm being gently rocked to sleep.

Perhaps you should read the book "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie"!

Does anyone else find it hard for to go to sleep in a foreign bed because of the bedding? I don't typically like their sandpaper sheets so I bring my higher TC sheets from home to the hotel.

A practical compromise might be just bringing your own pillow slips that would be easy to swap on/off each day so they didn't get caught in ship's laundry. Would sure save luggage space. Also, in some traveler-goods websites I have seen a lightweight silk body-length liner sold for sensitive travelers but I think some of the silk worms were slackers and their TC is a little short of 600. Have a good cruise.

Whatever you do, don't read any message threads about onboard "Ultra-violet Light" inspections. Don't go there. You'll be sorry. I warned you.

While I wouldn't tote my own sheets, I do bring my own pillow - we're used to each other, and I sleep better with it. Nancy

I was going to ask about that - my pillow and I are friends, too. Do you look really goofy walking on board pulling a carry-on bag with a pillow under your arm?

Thanks for the psychological assessment, FinelyCruising:cool: . It is interesting to hear that because I want to sleep comfortably in smooth& cool sheets, I am phobic and a kook. I guess I'm just spoiled and like my sheets in TC's of 800+. HAHA! People who like nice sheets are WEIRD, huh?

Thanks for the psychological assessment, FinelyCruising:cool: . It is interesting to hear that because I want to sleep comfortably in smooth& cool sheets, I am phobic and a kook. I guess I'm just spoiled and like my sheets in TC's of 800+. HAHA! People who like nice sheets are WEIRD, huh?

Sounds like the princess and the pea story. A lot of the cruiselines are putting in new luxurious linens.

I, too, love to sleep on very high thread count sheets. Just a little comfort I give myself. But I've never carried my own sheets and never had a problem sleeping on theirs.

I have a fusion in my neck and I do carry a down pillow in a space bag, inside my suitcase. I also carry two or three of my own pillowcases and send them out to the laundry on a regular basis. Cost is $1 per pillow case. Somehow I've never seen myself tramping around an airport and port terminal carrying a pillow. The space bags work fine.

Do you sound nutty, kooky, etc? No, just a little inexperienced at traveling and that means that you've come to the right place to ask questions. Enjoy your cruise!:)

I don't think you sound kookie at all. If you like something and don't mind the cost and inconvenience to support your taste - Go for It.

I specifically like a set of down pillows and travel with them everywhere. I not only enjoy them on the ship - I use them on the airplane. The beauty of Down Pillows is the scrunch down to nothing space wise.

I don't think you sound kookie at all. If you like something and don't mind the cost and inconvenience to support your taste - Go for It.

I specifically like a set of down pillows and travel with them everywhere. I not only enjoy them on the ship - I use them on the airplane. The beauty of Down Pillows is the scrunch down to nothing space wise.

I always take my pillow on car trips - to sleep in the car (when I'm not driving, of course....) and to use in hotels and (especially) at relative's houses. I do, however, always have a vague "going to Grandma's" feeling when I walk through the lobby with my pillow. :o

we used to carry our own linens, however, once we found out you can request a mattress pad and queen sheets and duvet, we stopped taking our own. we do however travel with our own pillows. we sleep on the infamous sobakawa pillows, for the house we have the super deluxe models, about the size of a standard queen pillow. we travel with a standard model, which are much smaller and very suited for packing.

I was going to ask about that - my pillow and I are friends, too. Do you look really goofy walking on board pulling a carry-on bag with a pillow under your arm?

The last cruise ship I was boarding I did see a woman carrying her own pillow and yes, it did look odd. Perhaps because the pillowcase looked rather worn and, well, not what I would call clean.

I have taken my own in the past, but packed it into a space bag in my suitcase. I've since just learned to put up with the pillows that are supplied, I'm much happier packing light.

On a land trip, driving in your own car, it's not a big deal, but, for me, too much of a hassle to pack for air or cruise travel.

Oh no....up until today, I would have though that was a mom carrying their child's pillow...now I can't ever think of it the same way again...:)

Want to mention there was no intent to offend anyone, the frends of my husbands faimily are great world travelers, they vacationed as much as possible with one another and they are very nice people whose company is enjoyed very much. She does pack an entire suitcase of sheets everywhere she goes though....

Why does it matter what others think? If you want to sleep on quality sheets bring them it's your vacation. While I wouldn't do it I bring along things that others probably wouldn't - alcohol, my hair dryer, iron, some bottled water etc. My point it is your vacation who cares if someone else thinks it odd that you are carrying a pillow.

I've never brought my own sheets on a cruise, but I have brought my own pillow...it's packed into the roller bag and it really cushions the wine! I also bring my own soap...Cruiseline and hotel soap isn't that great, so it's easy to pack my favorite!

Karyn

For those who may not know...Celebrity offers a pillow menu as part of their offerings to Concierge Class, it is possible one may actually find something likeable. Otherwise, didn't realize cruising was 'roughing' it for some many! :)
Ironically, this might be the biggest reason I go with Concierge Class rooms. Because of a bad back and neck, I have to use a certain pillow. Celebrity has the exact tempurpedic pillow that I need, so I dont have to bring my own!

Archived