Dinner waitlisted 199 and autistic, what now?

PrincessDreams4P&B

I have been speaking to my son's doctor about our upcoming trip in October. I was worried that there would be too many "new" things for my son and that with his autism, he might react poorly and have a hard time. My doctor assured me that he thinks my DS will be fine, but also cautioned me to keep as much as I can, the same and on schedule. So with that being said, I double checked our ressies and saw that we were on for Personal Choice Dining, which was not what I had told our TA. I called Princess and they said that there is a waitlist for First seating and that we are number 199. I know that you can call ahead on the Personal Choice and reserve a table with the same server but what happens if it is not available? Autistic children simply cannot understand these things and I don't want him to have a bad night and then take all of the next day to recover from it. Then again he could be fine, it is a gamble but when it comes to my son I am not a betting girl.

I am worrying that maybe we should cancel the cruise, that it may be too much but we have never been away like this before and my DH, 2 DS and I need this. Am I freaking out unnecessairly?

Any advice on how to handle this?

Thanks so much in advance

This situation sounds like it is best advised by your physician and your family. You know your son best and with good advice from those who are directly involved with your sons care, I am sure you will know what to do.

I will keep you in prayer and believe that your decisions will be blessed.

When you board, ask to speak to the Maitre D'. Explain your situation to him and I am sure that he will not only reserve a table for you but drop by nightly to see that all is well... You and your son will have a great time... BTW, what ship are you going on?

When you board the ship speak with the Maitre D' and explain the situation. Ask to be considered for a table in traditional if one become available. If not they can make sure you have the same table reserved for each night at the same time in one of the PC Dinning rooms.

My friends son is autistic so I understand. Your best bet will be to see the maiter D once on board and explane the situation. Slip him a twenty and all will be OK. They will either do first seating or give you the same early PC table for your family. I have had great luck with PC and reserving the same table for my whole cruise.

Please go and enjoy yourself!!!!!

We had personal choice dining and ended up reserving the same table every night on about our 4th day in...had great service, with the same waiters and table every night. The one thing however was that we had to reserve for either 5:30 or 5:45pm...we picked 5:45 and it worked out great.

I think like others have said, just talk with the staff....if you explain your situation they will be helpful. On our cruise they really went the extra mile to accommadate the guests with special needs....as someone who worked in the health care industry it did my heart good to see this:)

We were on the Caribbean Princess last week. After a few days of enjoying various tablemates and waiters, we decided to spend some dinners by ourselves. We were able to get the same table with the same waiter for the last three days without any problem. It was easy to do when the dining room just opened (5:30 p.m.). But the other posters are absolutely correct, if you talk to the maitre d', he will be more than willing to help you out and guarantee a great experience for you and your son.

Call your Travel Agent, explain that a set dining routine is something recommended by your son's physician, and that you would like a three-way call between you, your TA and Princess' Access department. I'll be they will not only put you into the seating you request, but will go ahead and ask if a particular table location would be better than another (such as against a bulkhead or right on the aisle). Princess is very proud of their Access Department for special needs passengers, and this is exactly the sort of thing they can handle.

We were on the Caribbean Princess last week. After a few days of enjoying various tablemates and waiters, we decided to spend some dinners by ourselves. We were able to get the same table with the same waiter for the last three days without any problem. It was easy to do when the dining room just opened (5:30 p.m.). But the other posters are absolutely correct, if you talk to the maitre d', he will be more than willing to help you out and guarantee a great experience for you and your son.

I would highly recommend PC in your situation...because you are in control if you have traditional you are at princess's disgression to put you where they want so after the first evening if you are not happy, you have to start at square one again.....my advice when you board the ship take your son into the PC dinning room/s and let him make the decision where he would like to sit, talk to the MD and make your reservation for the whole cruise...

Remember with traditional they ony ask what size table you would prefer...we have yet to ever get the size we have requested. Even if everyone swears, 6 months before you'll get that table by the window for 6 it rarely happens............don't deal with it it until after you board, but you'll find far more flexibity with P.C.

Have a great cruise, your son will do fine.:)

It is possible that the access dept. as one poster sugggested could put your mind at ease, but from my experience........many promises don't materialize especailly when plans are made many months in advance...and then you still have to deal with it once on board so save youself the time and hassel deal with it when you get there.

are available if the time is critical, the same time every evening. If they can't accomodate you with reservations every night in one of the PC dining rooms (and I'm betting they will be glad to help you) - there are several other places to eat at that time (the buffet, hamburgers, pizza, room service etc) that while they might not be as nice, they are always there as a back up.

Enjoy your cruise - sounds like it's much needed and well deserved!

I have been speaking to my son's doctor about our upcoming trip in October. I was worried that there would be too many "new" things for my son and that with his autism, he might react poorly and have a hard time. My doctor assured me that he thinks my DS will be fine, but also cautioned me to keep as much as I can, the same and on schedule. So with that being said, I double checked our ressies and saw that we were on for Personal Choice Dining, which was not what I had told our TA. I called Princess and they said that there is a waitlist for First seating and that we are number 199. I know that you can call ahead on the Personal Choice and reserve a table with the same server but what happens if it is not available? Autistic children simply cannot understand these things and I don't want him to have a bad night and then take all of the next day to recover from it. Then again he could be fine, it is a gamble but when it comes to my son I am not a betting girl.

I am worrying that maybe we should cancel the cruise, that it may be too much but we have never been away like this before and my DH, 2 DS and I need this. Am I freaking out unnecessairly?

Any advice on how to handle this?

Thanks so much in advance

I understand completely and don't think you are freaking out unnecessarily. It happens when you have special needs kids. Especially when you always have to a Plan A,B,C,D for everything you do big or small.

My 12 year old with Asperger's (he's not the most flexible kid on a good day in his own home routine vacations can be a nightmare) did fine with personal choice dining because we always made our reservation for 6 PM, which is his normal dinner time at home. At 6 PM we didn't have a problem with getting a table for 4 especially in the Palm dining room and we could request the same waiter every time we ate there, which we did and there wasn't a problem. I explained to the waiter that he needed his food quickly even if that meant that he got his food while we were still eating salad it didn't matter to us. The formal nights we went to Cafe Caribe buffet and he was fine there. The CB was pretty laid back on our sailing so he didn't really get overstimulated, probably because he didn't go to the kid's program.

When my son was younger I would start 6 months in advance with prepping him for vacations showing him pictures from the place we were visiting and talking about vacation schedules that aren't the same as home or school year schedules (mine was very into routines and sticking to a schedule so to teach him flexibilty I'd even have to make a vacation schedule to keep him happy).

I understand your concern but as mom who has a kid on spectrum I also know that as long as you get as much info as you can from the boards and guide him along so there aren't too many bumps in the road you should be okay.

HTH,

Eileen

I'm a Special Education teacher with some knowledge of Autism Spectrum (but at this point, mom, you would be the expert!)

I think leenie29 made some very good observations. I also wonder if your child will be affected by the possible rocking of the ship. I know many Autistic kids feel better when "grounded" (thus the use of weighted vests, foot rests, etc.) Just something to consider.

I would call the cruiseline and enquire as to whether the ADA speaks to provisions for assigning you a specific table in traditional dining if you determine that would be best for your family without the waitlisting. Might be worth a try.

I also wonder if your child will be affected by the possible rocking of the ship. I know many Autistic kids feel better when "grounded" (thus the use of weighted vests, foot rests, etc.) Just something to consider.

Actually that was a great concern, people will never understand Autism if they don't ask questions, so thanks for your interest! All autistics are different what may be adverse to some may soothe others (like snowflakes, no two are the same). Our son is actually calmed by rocking, we have an indoor piece of equipment that is like a gigantic hammock swing and we can't keep him out of it. He falls asleep there practically every day. He is motion driven and things like roller coasters, rides, being in the car he really seems to enjoy.

I cannot tell you how much it has helped to have everyone being so positive on this board!

Seems to me that since this is an existing medical condition, Princess should work with you to ensure your son’s needs are met. If you can get a letter outlining your child’s requirements from his doctor, have your TA fax it to Princess and request what you think is best for your situation. Princess normally works very favorably with people who have medical and/or accessibility issues…this situation should be no different.

Actually that was a great concern, people will never understand Autism if they don't ask questions, so thanks for your interest! All autistics are different what may be adverse to some may soothe others (like snowflakes, no two are the same). Our son is actually calmed by rocking, we have an indoor piece of equipment that is like a gigantic hammock swing and we can't keep him out of it. He falls asleep there practically every day. He is motion driven and things like roller coasters, rides, being in the car he really seems to enjoy.

I cannot tell you how much it has helped to have everyone being so positive on this board!

I know the piece of equipment you mean, my son used it in OT and loved it!

My son loved the rocking on the ship and wished it rocked more (3 days was plenty for me). He is soothed by roller coasters and anything that spins him about he loves. We travel with vibrating neck pillows because that calms him as well. If your son loves rocking taking up on the top deck to the very front of the ship. I was turning green from the motion but my son and husband loved it.

Eileen

i agree withthe above posters,plus i think it would be good if after things are initially squared away,that you proceed to the nearest bar and have a nice bahama mama:))),and things will seem much more relaxed after that,oh and i feel you will be just fine,and your son will have lots of fun especially with this being your first cruise,so take a deep breath and relax:rolleyes: :p

I would contact them again and explain to a supervisor that this is a major requirement for you to cruise with them. If they don't guarantee a specific table at a specific seating I would contact other cruise lines or have the TA do it and get a letter from the line acknowledging the reservation. You are the gueat, customer and have the need, not the whim of a booking clerk who probably has never sailed on the ship.

Princess has an obligation to you and they should work to keep you on their ship.

I think Princess does care – I can’t tell that the entire situation was explained to them by the original poster. I really think a physician’s letter would take care of the whole situation.

Just came back from the Sapphire, and can say that the PC dining rooms had the tables very crowded together -- it was very easy to hear neighboring tables conversations -- and all together a not too relaxing situation. There was one family with two children that I saw behaving very nicely, and were put in a corner with a booth -- and maybe two other children the entire week of the cruise. One night we decided to eat at the Horizon, and I would say this was roomy, quiet, and -- well, except you have to get up and get your own food -- was really a nice experience. they even had someone making Cherries Jubilee on site. The food presentation of course isnt the same, but I could highly recommend this for anyone who did not want to eat in the dining room.s It really is not the same atmosphere as the lunch and breakfast meals -- they even put candles on the table, and the wait staff will fill your drinks.

I've not understood wait listing yet. I guess more and more people are choosing personal choice dining. I really enjoy traditional dining and getting to know new people well. We have been wait listed on the last three cruises with numbers as high as yours. We just always visit the maitre'd first thing on the cruise. When you board, if you don't already have this solved, just ask someone where the maitre'd is located and go straight there. We were always able to get the table we wanted with the number of people we wanted. If you do get a table before you go, be sure to go the dining room when you get and see if it is in a location that will be good for your son. They will have your table number on something you recieve when you go through embarkation or sometimes it is in your stateroom. If you don't like the table, you can always ask for a change as well. I have been lucky on the cruises that really mattered to me scenery wise to get a window table. We had a great table in Alaska right by floor to ceiling windows. In the Caribbean it really woudn't matter to me where I sat as long as it wasn't by a busy aisle area with waiters rushing past me all the time. There is usually music in some part of the dining room with a piano or a harp playing.

No matter which dining options you end up with you will need to explain to your son that just like you the wait staff will have on different clothes everynight. Because each night has a theme the wait staff's outfit for the night reflects that and because of that the dining room doesn't look the same everynight. Also, the last night the dining room has balloons on every table and has a completely different look to it.

Wow! I am really impressed with how much good information I am reading here! I work (mostly) with families with children on the Spectrum and some of these suggestions are really on target and very helpful! I love the "priming" that Eileen spoke of. Also... excellent observation about the balloons cjh!

I'll add one more... we use schedules a lot and one thing we use is a "surprise card". I make it out of a shocking color (like hot pink) and put a huge question mark on it. It can be added to your schedule - if you are using one - in just about any position. That way when something different is going to come up your son will know it is coming. He'll also get used to the fact that unexpected things DO happen and it will be alright... in fact he can practice this too for several months before the cruise.

If your son loves the whole 'motion' thing, you are going to have a great time!!! Enjoy and be sure to report back here... I would love to share your experience with the families that I know who haven't tried this yet.

Archived