Home Lines-Oceanic-cruisers

I had a dream come true today...at a small auction not far from my house, I purchaced my first ship model. It is the of the Oceanic...I am a mariner who has always looked at these items in "the office" and wished that someday I might have one...alas, I know little about the Oceanic (I spent much of my time on tankers, breakbulk and containerships). Anything, anyone can share with me about the Oceanic or my purchace would be appreciated. The plates call her the "Ship of Tomorrow"...An item like this belongs on display somewhere other than my livingroom!!!

• 1 month later...

We took our first of 13 cruises on the Oceanic in 1976. My father had just passed away and we really needed something relaxing. My in-laws had been on the ship so they were the "experts". Reserve your deck chairs, make dining room reservations and so on. Everyone told us that you spent so little time in the cabin that location didn't matter. We booked A9 which I still remember as the "Victory at Sea" suite. The first night out the ride was a little choppy. In the middle of the night, I dreamt that I was on a roller coaster. Without a window to see out of, it was very disconcerting. I awoke as sick as a dog. While heading for the bathroom, the ship rolled to one side making the effort quite an uphill climb. On the return roll I was running into the bathroom, gravity as my aid. Eventually I got myself together and went up on deck. I sat there looking at the horizon wondering what madness possessed me to take this trip. Eventually I got a seasick shot and was fine. My wife who started out fine, got seasick during the day. I still have pictures of her with a green tinge. It wasn't until after dinner that I convinced her to get the shot. By midnight, she was eatting like food was going out of style. :-)

That was one classy ship. The midnight buffets were magnificent as was the service and food in the dining room. We still have the menus. Something new every night.

While the current crop of cruisers wonder about soda cards, rock climbing walls and the like, I still fondly remember our cruise on the Oceanic.

• 2 weeks later...

I just posted another reply regarding the Oceanic and this thread brought back great memories. My first cruise was with a girlfriend after graduating from nursing school, probably 1968. We were the youngest ladies I believe. We befriended two young boys probably 14 and 12 and danced with them in the evenings! I am sure we made their day! I do remember the Donzelli's. I somehow thought there was another band as well. We often requested Funky Broadway! The band leader went crazy with that and you can imagine his interpretation! Cruised last in the winter of 1979, I think it was a 12 or 14 day cruise. I miss the Oceanic and no ship can hold a candle to her!

I do agree, no ship or line can hold a candle to the Oceanic and Home Lines. I'm going on my 40th cruise in October thru the Panama Canal on Holland America. They are a fine line, but can't even come close to Home Lines. Those were the days!!!

But the HAL ship that could compete with Oceanic no longer sails for HAL, but is now in Gdansk waiting for her restoration and to be brought back to her home-town.

Hi everyone-

The Oceanic was my first cruise. I must have been about 11 years old. There were hardly any other children onboard and the staff spoiled us rotten. I remember how rough the seas where going around Cape Hatteras. So many people were seasick (me included). That night when the band, the Donzelli Group, played, people came out on the dance floor and attempted to do the "Alley Cat" while the ship pitched and rolled. We liked them so much we bought their album. Does anyone remember the very long breadsticks, we loved them!

Needless to say, the s/s Oceanic hooked me on cruising for life.

Thanks for the memories!!

Jac

Hey, it's funny you should mention that about the record album. My grandfather sailed Oceanic out of NY several times in the 70's & early 80's, and he bought all the Donzelli albums, the Sergio and his Band Souvenir Oceanic album, Geno Stante Quartet ... and yes!! I have them all, God rest my papa's loving soul! I can't send you an audio file as an attachment on this site, but if you send me your email, I will send you some Donzelli MP3's ... fresh off the vinyl record! Great stuff -- I like this music way better than any contemporary stuff on the radio today!

Ciao,

Christoff

P.S. To anyone else reading this: Does anyone know the whereabouts of Donzelli Group nowadays? There's not much on the internet about this bunch ...

I don't know where the Donzelli's are now, hopefully playing somewhere.

Here is a website I found that has two of their albums plus Favolosi and Zieli cuts as well. The sound is old but it's great to hear it!.

http://www.engine-studios.com/vpp/Miscellaneous/MiscellaneousList.html

Thanks Torpeedo for the link to these great records!! I still have a few of these myself (but not these 2!)

Ciao,

Christovff

• 2 weeks later...

Home Lines were the kings of cruising hands down. Thinking about their ships and the experiences we had brings a tear to my eye. We sailed the Oceanic, Doric and Homeric. The Doric was my first cruise and will always hold a special place in my heart,sadly the Doric is no more. On her way to the breakers in India she broke away from her tug and sunk herself, going out with her boots on. Kinda makes me happy to know that she was not broken up for scrap. The last time I saw her she was sitting outside the harbor in Bermuda with a blown engine on what was her last trip. So I got to say goodbye. The Oceanic is still cruising down in mexico, and you know the Homerics story. Everyonce in a while I get out the old menus and passenger lists (amazing to think about today) and reminisce. We just got married last October and cruised (my sevent and Mary's 1st) in Hawaii and my wife is now hooked. I figure the first 33 years of my life I sailed 7 times, the next 50 years I am doing at least 50 more.

Take a look at these photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/berson/

Do they bring back fond memories?

Yes they do !! My father help build the Worlds fair .I remmber going there the day before it open up .They let the guy.s who worked on it and there family's use it befoe it open up !! Love the one's of the ships .I grow up on the otherside of the riverr in NJ .I remmber the Oceanic coming to NYC for the first time during a tug boat strike !! Thanks for the memories !!

:cool: Mr Veendam 96

Hi yes Home lines was a great cruise line ! Our first of 62 cruises was on the Oceanic july 4th 1981 to Bermuda & Nassau .We also did the Doric the same year and the Alandtic and the New Homeric . The Homeric cruise we did was on the Liberty weekend cruise 1986 out of NYC to Bermuda .The Homeric was in the Praide of ships for Liberty weekend !!

Dose any body here remember Dan Gable or Rick Spath ? Dan was the C D and Rick worked for him on the Oceanic !

Yes i remember the mats by the pool !! walking around the deck at night in the moonlight .Dosen't anybody remember waiting in the stairway before the bells rang for dinner !! .And yes you had to get dress up every night ! The service was great nothing like today !We also did the StarShip Oceanic 2 times when our boy's were youger !!

She's still sailing today for a Spanish cruise line .We miss the old Home Lines .One thing you may have not known ,Is that the first 2 ships for Celberty was going to be the 2 new Home lines ships .After Home Lines sold out to HAL .They sold the plans for there next 2 ships witch be came the Zenith & Horizon .Celberty took out the Magow dooms .Otherwise the ship was the same .Build at the same yord as the Homeric.

:cool: Mr Veendam

Crown Princess 8/25/06

Carnival Elation 4/9/07

Liberty of the sess 8/25/07

Regal Empress 8/2/07

)))Home Lines Sunway Cruises(((

I still miss the Oceanic! Nothing has topped her yet for me! I loved their long cruise each February. Has anyone been on that cruise through 1980? I'd love to get back in touch with old travel and crew friends. There was a great mom, Doris and her son, Steven, nurses from Massachusetts, a singer who sounded like Lou Rawls, an English entertainer named Graham. The Donzelli Orchestra, the other orchestra leader, I think his name was Sergio. I'll never forget Al Di La, "the Hustle" - too funny!

Oh, Yeah! Here is the record album cover ... there he is in all his glory!

1605721705_AlbumCover.jpg.26eedf1143349593c5eac4c0044ddae0.jpg

sergio-solo.JPG.4a8c0c5eb3d097593a43ff330e81ff68.JPG

Some Home Lines trivia:

A. What band did Sergio play with before he started his own band?

B. The band he used to play with left Home Lines. What line did it go to?

I will post the answers in a few days, after you all have had a chance to guess.

Ciao for now

The music & crew made the cruise! Less formal than some of the ships, and a lot more fun! Loved Romy Formica and the Fabulous Four.

The Formica Band did a great version of Na Na Na Na! The whole room (Italian Hall) was rocking with that one!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all

i use to work with home lines from 1980 to 1989 , i did

the last cruise with the Atlantic to the drydock , was our

last time on board.

To many memory and good times , i use to work in all

the three ships Atlantic - Oceanic and Doric....

I will love to get in contact with all the passenger to

share memory and who knows maybe we know each

other....

If you like to get in touch you can email me at :

bergomi1998@yahoo.com

Ciao a tutti Gianni

• 1 month later...
I could go on and on about the Oceanic. No ship has come even close. Only those who traveled on her can understand she had a "soul". We went on the 12-14 X-Mas cruise each year from 1972-1979, and other shorter cruises from 1970-1985. Who can forget the Donzelli Group in the Italian Hall, Cruise Director Everett E. Everett (we still are in touch with his family in Massachusetts even though he died in the earley 1908s), hostess Luciana Trevisan? Anyone know where these fantastic people are?

My parents took about 5 cruises aboard the Oceanic from the late 60's to the early 70s. They loved it. Those were the days of cruising. They always took the 2 week Chrismas cruise. You were probably on there when they were. I loved looking at their pictures. Even when it wasn't formal night everyone dressed up. Do you remember the Zieli band? They were the band before Donzelli. My mom has 33rpm records from both bands. Occasionally she will play them to remind her of the wonderful days aboard the beautiful Oceanic.

Back in those days they used to let the family onboard for a bon voyage party. They would have drinks and hor d'orvers (sp) in the cabin. I was a little kid back then. Ack, I'm showing my age :eek: LOL!!

When I looked at their pictures, it was always my dream to go on a Caribbean cruise with my husband. My dream will be coming true next June. My husband and I will be taking a cruise to the Caribbean. Not aboard the Oceanic, but aboard the Carnival Miracle and I know we will have just as much fun as my parents did all those years ago. :)

I cruised on the Doric, Oceanic and Atlantic with mom, sis and by myself. My favorite was the Doric and I enjoyed the Atlantic but never quite liked the Oceanic. I hated the large poles that obstructed views in the lounges. The cabins were very tiny and I wasn't thrilled about paying for my deck chair. I had a really obnoxious deck chair neighbor who seemed to sit in his chair whenever I did. I remember poor Giancarlo and Gianni having to put those chairs out every day and then put them away every night.

I dated an electrician who had poor english and his name was Saverio. I enjoyed listening to the Easy Sounds with Lobo and sis liked the Donzelli group. Luciana, the social hostess was very classy and I loved when they came around the deck with a cart of pastries and tea at tea time. I even enjoyed bouillon and little cheese sandwiches at 11 am but not sure if that was on Home Lines or the Sea Venture which also cruised out of New York to Bermuda and was then sold to Princess Cruises.

Hey crewmember 1 you didn't mention what position you had on the ship. I really miss the Italians and those bands.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know how I can possibly find a crew member from the Oceanic?

His name is Giancarlo (Gianni, Johnny) Magrini. He was there from approx. 1971 to ?. His wife's name is Fran and

she came from NYC. they were married in Aug. 1978. It would be great to get in touch with them again after all these years.

I appreciate any and all info. Thanks for the help.:):confused: