Danube water levels 2024 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

Well after a long flight we have made it to Prague and will be starting the Pre-Cruise tomorrow morning. Pretty much like it always is, the Viking rep at the hotel just knows what is going on today and tomorrow. I took pictures of the current information, there is a group leaving tomorrow on the Jari but they were informed the ship has changed to the Atla, which is currently in Regensburg. We don’t leave for Passau until Tuesday and our ship Ingvi is still hanging out in Bratislava so if it doesn’t move soon we may be in for a ship swap also, just will be happy it is a ship and not a motor coach. We are staying at the Art Nouveau Palace and it is very nice, looking forward to catching up on some of that sleep I lost last night. Must be a large contingent of other Ingvi passengers here because they mentioned they had 2 bus loads to take to the port on Tuesday.

IMG_1512.thumb.jpeg.8818637ed840154f1376dd6efb669b7c.jpeg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, RDVIK2016 said:

That lock at Greifenstein is a real "road"block with both chambers closed.  Others have one chamber closed or draft restrictions, but this will be quite a problem if not cleared up soon. Already two ships that left from Passau thinking their way was clear to Vienna are stuck waiting at Tulln. 

The ships in the freight harbor at Bratislava have been released to go upstream and when I looked at about 14:00 UTC five of them were in a convoy half way to Vienna with destinations beyond Vienna, but there they will sit until Greifenstein opens.  Viking Kadlin left Vienna to got downstream and got only as far as Bratislava, she just pulled into the freight harbor there.

I am referencing both Marine Traffic and Vessel Finder for this info.

RDVIK

I saw the movement out of Bratislava. I am hoping for my mom and aunt that their ship the egil gets to move to the town side moorings out of the cargo yard. That itinerary doesn’t have them in Vienna until Monday, so they could leave Monday morning.  Would be nicer, though, to be more city side.

eta- if those released ships get stuck in Vienna not so great but a step up from the cargo yard! 🙂

Edited by hermione8181
Additional thought
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, adkturn said:

found several tracker sites but none as visually easy to follow as yours

Just to clarify. I use marinetraffic.com and vesselfinder.com

The fairway condition pages are from the official Austrian website: https://www.doris.bmk.gv.at/en/fairway-information/fairway-condition

As mentioned by previous posters, lock damage:

image.thumb.png.cb3f5b56352bfaa62ec14e5f90e54fb7.png

Lock status in detail:

image.thumb.png.6e8323fabf09e1b421a5bd2d218785d0.png

notamermaid

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TUI docks,

This TUI outfit surely finds some unique places to tie up.  TUI Skyla is currently (about 22:15 CEST) at a place called Čilistov, a subdivision of Šamorín, Slovakia. Surprisingly it appears they are pretty well set up to receive cruise ships. There is a huge sports and X-sports facility there.

Vienna has more than 30 boats backed up now - several triple rafted. Might just as well stay in Bratislava.

RDVIK

1 hour ago, RDVIK2016 said:

TUI docks,

This TUI outfit surely finds some unique places to tie up.  TUI Skyla is currently (about 22:15 CEST) at a place called Čilistov, a subdivision of Šamorín, Slovakia. Surprisingly it appears they are pretty well set up to receive cruise ships. There is a huge sports and X-sports facility there.

Vienna has more than 30 boats backed up now - several triple rafted. Might just as well stay in Bratislava.

RDVIK

lol the Great River Cruise Convention of Vienna 2024!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RDVIK2016 said:

TUI docks,

RDVIK

Also I hope not for my mom, Viking says their luggage can’t come to Bratislava and will meet them in Vienna on Monday. meanwhile, they are getting free laundry.

11 hours ago, RDVIK2016 said:

TUI docks,

RDVIK

In case you missed it at the time back in early June. This is where TUI got us stranded on TUI Isla. It was in Deggendorf. We tied up at a floating raft on the Saturday and by Sunday morning we were completely cut off from the land. 

IMG_9869.jpeg

Edited by Yorkieboy1972
  • Like 1

As noted above, Budapest level has peaked, according to news reports at 830cm. Therefore it stayed by a good margin under the highest level ever recorded. It has dropped below 800cm over night.

No change to the lock status in Austria.

notamermaid

The Viking Gymir left Tulln during the night:

image.thumb.png.d610cf066e3306e1b4717161e7f59eac.png

Which means she has not got to her original destination Budapest and Viking has given up on the Greifenstein lock passage.

A ship swap? Repositioning and sailing empty? Ships will not be where they are supposed to be for quite a few days still...

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

Yorkieboy1972 wow how exciting a tale for your Grandchildren save the videos!

I've got 3 lots of videos.The 5 hot days on Isla before the deluge in Germany.1 week in Bulgaria AI and 1 week on TUI Discovery Greece and Turkey all courtesy of compo.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Maverick69 said:

Was to ship out of Budapest on the 22 with Emerald to Amsterdam.  Now leaving out of Durnstien.  4 hour bus ride coming up and won't know anything else until we board the ship. I suspect a clause that we have no recourse once we step on the ship.

Avalon would give a 50% refund if your cruise turned into a bus/hotel tour. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Kenster said:

Avalon would give a 50% refund if your cruise turned into a bus/hotel tour. 

I'll keep that in mind. 5 hour bus ride and still don't know anything.  Reps all play dumb. Kept trying to cancel our trip with them and played dumb. No idea what is going to happen when we arrive to ship. All we know is that Budapest is now off the table. NEVER again with Emerald! Worst communication ever. Turned a bucket list trip into a disappointing ***** show.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Maverick69 said:

I'll keep that in mind. 5 hour bus ride and still don't know anything.  Reps all play dumb. Kept trying to cancel our trip with them and played dumb. No idea what is going to happen when we arrive to ship. All we know is that Budapest is now off the table. NEVER again with Emerald! Worst communication ever. Turned a bucket list trip into a disappointing ***** show.

Sounds like they’re operating from the Viking playbook. No communication. No transparency.  They can’t prevent acts of nature.  But how they DEAL with those disruptions tells the story. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, hermione8181 said:

Well….they made it to the ship in Bratislava. It’s still in the cargo port. But….Lufthansa lost their luggage. They said it was 2.5 hour bus ride from Budapest, quite country roads. Now they might just have scotch for dinner. 

We just did the bus trip from Budapest to Bratislava this afternoon. Almost exactly 2 and a half hours. Fairly boring unfortunately. Not much to see. Most people napped along the way. Hoping to board our ship here tomorrow but best I can tell it (the Uniworld Maria Theresa) is still in Linz. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, hermione8181 said:

Well….they made it to the ship in Bratislava. It’s still in the cargo port. But….Lufthansa lost their luggage. They said it was 2.5 hour bus ride from Budapest, quite country roads. Now they might just have scotch for dinner. 

1 hour ago, Kenster said:

Sounds like they’re operating from the Viking playbook. No communication. No transparency.  They can’t prevent acts of nature.  But how they DEAL with those disruptions tells the story. 

Uniworld has been the same way. Very little communication at all. This is our 4th trip with them. Bussed from Budapest to Bratislava this afternoon. They have an information meeting in an hour. Hopefully they’ll tell us something good at that point. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, JOR70 said:

We just did the bus trip from Budapest to Bratislava this afternoon. Almost exactly 2 and a half hours. Fairly boring unfortunately. Not much to see. Most people napped along the way. Hoping to board our ship here tomorrow but best I can tell it (the Uniworld Maria Theresa) is still in Linz. 

Leaving for Vienna during dinner from Bratislava. Viking has been super helpful with the luggage situation. And for the people on the ship who didn’t go to Budapest today, there were shuttles in and out of Bratislava.

• Like 2