French polynesia

C4HCG

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

In both Bora Bora and Moorea we did private tours that took us way inland - or as inland as its possible to get.

Mooreia: the attraction is definitely the flowers/ plants and the fabulous views that featured so prominently in the film South Pacific.

Bora Bora: has just one road around the island - we choose a tour that included some WW2 sites.

Both tours featured "air conditioned" vehicles that turned out to be open backed trucks. Both tours had great guides.

Pics of both will follow 

pics as promised:

Bora(14).thumb.JPG.1bc4160cb10a61df7748d14636e78b14.JPGBora(10).thumb.JPG.959e2865fcce9709ba6615b0fea29f5a.JPGBora(5).thumb.JPG.993c778e7f554d2aa657eced22f3d6c5.JPGP1060866.thumb.JPG.f02fd6e85400e66a8ab2ddeddce370ba.JPG

Moorea (22).JPG

Moorea (3).JPG

Moorea (19).JPG

Moorea (15).JPG

Moorea (28).JPG

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 2/1/2024 at 2:55 PM, debfed65 said:

Thank you so much for sending this reply!  That is exactly the information I was looking for. 

What a wonderful story about the whales...a lifetime memory for sure!  I can only hope we will see something as magical as that! 

In Moorea, we are thinking of renting bicycles &/or scooter to explore the island on our own...or just take a taxi to a beach and relax. We have a busy day Scuba Diving in Papeete and are want to go to the market before getting back on board, so these lazy days on a beach sound like a little piece of heaven to me 🏝️

Thank you again, and any other tidbits you would like to share would be welcomed  

Hi We are in at the same stops in October   How was the diving in Papeete? And who did you book with?  We were thinking about diving in Raiatea but it looks like the snorkeling might be better.  We have seen tons of sharks, rays, and turtles so really want to see Nemo LOL and a seashore would be awesome.  Thanks for any help 

Edited by trishs
miss spelled

4 hours ago, trishs said:

Hi We are in at the same stops in October   How was the diving in Papeete? And who did you book with?  We were thinking about diving in Raiatea but it looks like the snorkeling might be better.  We have seen tons of sharks, rays, and turtles so really want to see Nemo LOL and a seashore would be awesome.  Thanks for any help 

We booked with Fluid Tahiti. They are very easy to deal with via email and everything is posted on their website and they will customize a dive package for you to coincide with your arrival time etc….

Unfortunately, we had to cancel before we arrived but they have excellent reviews and as I said, they are very easy to deal with over email. 

Have fun! 

33 minutes ago, debfed65 said:

We booked with Fluid Tahiti. They are very easy to deal with via email and everything is posted on their website and they will customize a dive package for you to coincide with your arrival time etc….

Unfortunately, we had to cancel before we arrived but they have excellent reviews and as I said, they are very easy to deal with over email. 

Have fun! 

Great thanks I will look them up.  Did you a snorkel in Raiatea 

2 hours ago, trishs said:

Great thanks I will look them up.  Did you a snorkel in Raiatea 

We wanted to do the drift snorkeling in Taha'a from Raiatea but there was no availability that day from the pier.  There are plenty of tour operators at the pier doing tours including snorkelling (not the drift snorkel) but they also included the a visit to a Pearl Farm and Vanilla Plantation which we did not want to do.  If you want to drift snorkel, then definately prebook if before you leave home!  There is not much on Raiatea itself - no beaches. 

In Mo'orea we pre-booked a water taxi to CoCo Beach.  It was a beautiful day! We had a nice lunch at the restaurant on the Motu (excellent food and drinks and service), wonderful white sand beach, beautiful warm turquoise waters with a sand bar where you were with the sting rays and baby sharks!  A very leisure day to do as you please.  There is also a coral garden just off the Motu around the side from the restaurant for snorkelling.  The staff will tell you where it is.  We had our own snorkel equipment with us. 

There are also a lot of tour operators at the tender pier if you would rather go on a large boat with about 50-60 people to see the stingrays and snorkel, but it was much more relaxing and intimate to go to CoCo Beach on your own.  When you walk through all the vendors and tour operators there is a young girl (Gisèle Transport) and she has a 8 passenger taxi that she runs from the pier to the local beach and shopping for $5 USD per person each way.  She dropped us off at our meeting location for the water taxi and picked us back up when we were ready to come back.  The local beach that she goes too is mostly grass - nowhere near the beauty of CoCo Beach.  (see post#32).   

Hope this helps...enjoy your cruise! 

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Dang, looks like there aren't any somewhat affordable sailing like NCL that go to Rangiroa

HAL does.  Part of a much more extensive itinerary ...  Not a bad price.

56-DAY TALES OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC (hollandamerica.com)

They stop at Bora Bora also.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Thanks 1

The many Paul  Gauguin cruises we have taken over the last 20+ years have left from (and returned to) Papeete. The first stop was Raiatea, on a Sunday. There was actually a decent shopping center there — but closed on Sunday.  We had some time before our booked excursion on some rivers there, but the place was boring to me. I looked to my right and saw the police station. I decided to go there and see what was going on. Apparently nothing, as it too was closed on Sunday! I went back to the ship and enjoyed the suite mini bar, and went back to the port in time for the river excursion, which was good. But there are many things to do and see in FP. The best cruise itinerary that exists. But not cheap.

On 1/21/2024 at 11:05 PM, Dolebludger said:

We have been to the Society Islands via cruise round trip Tahiti several times. Mostly on the Paul Gauguin (PG) and once on the Regent Mariner as part of a larger itinerary. But that itinerary is only offered by Regent every few years. The only two cruise lines that I’ve found that do regular, Polynesia only, 7 to 14 night cruises are Paul Gauguin and Windstar. Both use small motor ships with about 300 passengers. I know the PG is very nice. I have never cruised Windstar, but am considering it because, even with the all inclusive option, it costs less, and the state rooms are larger. When cruising these islands, it is best to be on a small ship. The water is shallow, so they have better access. In 2025, Silversea is beginning cruises of these islands with a ship in this size range. Our experience with that line on other itineraries has been excellent. It might be worth the wait. 

Look for Variety Cruise too. Grat itinerary for French Polynézia

11 hours ago, debfed65 said:

There are plenty of tour operators at the pier doing tours including snorkelling (not the drift snorkel) but they also included the a visit to a Pearl Farm and which we did not want to do.  

My wife didn't think she wanted to visit a pearl farm either.  But, she "discovered" the black pearls.  A mistake on my part.  A big mistake, HUGE! 😁

• Haha 3

On 6/19/2024 at 5:29 AM, Texed said:

My wife didn't think she wanted to visit a pearl farm either.  But, she "discovered" the black pearls.  A mistake on my part.  A big mistake, HUGE! 😁

That is funny!! So I am glad we aren't going there. I don't want to make a huge mistake LOL 😇