LAX Princess Transfers

My observation is that all the major cruise ports have a large number of independent airport-bound shuttles filling in an impromptu manner and taking cash. Find them, negotiate and hop on. If one's not available, grab a cab. Either one is, in my opinion, preferable to the ship's offerings.

If you do want the ship transfer, though, just for the comfort of having it prearranged, you can book it pre-cruise, during the cruise as an excursion or by checking the right box on the debark information form that you give to your steward. Generally there will be signs, often held by an agent, as you pick up your luggage and clear immigration directing you to the transfer buses. It usually, but not always, works smoothly. I've had a couple of instances where I debarked slowly to discover that the first 'flight' of buses had filled and gone to the airport already. There was a long line of people waiting up to a couple hours for them to deliver the early debarkers at the airport and double back to pick up the rest. I've sworn off ship transfers at this point.

Have you contacted your cell provider recently? Big changes the last few years and their new travel option offerings might surprise you.

Walkingsoon

We always use the Princess LAX transfer from the ship.  We just get the disembark time about 8:15 ish now and by the time we collect our luggage, Customs, catch the bus we never have a problem getting our 12:30 flight home.

Diane 

This is something that we have done many times (at least 6 times). Yes, I know, don't fly in the day of but we have and will again. This is something that I disagree with but the hubby wins. 

Finding the persons for the embarkation buses is easy. They have signs, have your name (make sure you put that info in your airline itinerary online), and then the wait begins. We fly in EARLY in the morning (7:00 am arrival) from Phoenix and usually after dropping off our luggage we walk down a bit and have some Starbucks as they usually don't start filling the busses until around 9:30 am. 

The last time there was no issue walking down to the busses on disembarkation and being directed to the bus that goes to that airline (Southwest).

We verified that information as we were being directed as we walked down that we were going to Southwest Airlines.  Got in the bus, waited about 20 - 30 minutes for it to be loaded and off it goes. 

For us this works. However, for our really big cruise in 2026, we will fly in a day early and take the hotel shuttle. 

Edited by greenie082756

I have one experience with LAX to ship transfer.  It was WRETCHED.  I was refunded. I was solo so thought it would be easy.  HA. Short story: miserably managed, long wait, very stressful. Zero service. Not as promised.

I overnighted in LA with family. Arrived at the terminal in the morning before (9:30) my appointed time.  Saw them filling and closing a Uhaul with luggage as I arrived.  There were two Princess ships sailing that day.  It was a mad house.  The first folks had evidently received boarding passes.  There were easily hundreds of folks - zero seating. I waited in a long line to check in.  I was not on the list. (PRINT OUT EVERYTHING, my medallion did me no good).  "Go wait over there, and we'll call you". (HA) "Keep your luggage because the luggage transfer is full (at 9:30am) ("easy breezy - give us your luggage at bag claim and it will appear in your stateroom" HA). No one spoke to me again.  Crowds increase. 

Finally the 1st group is called - to wait out on the curb for another 30 mins. Group two was called, mind you no-one but group one was assigned a group.  I self-assigned myself group two (and made it barely, schlepping my own luggage). Handed my bags to the driver, who was none to happy to be loading all that luggage.  Was one of the last on bus two.....about 11:30. After boarding they announced "sorry, in order to accommodate a scooter some of the luggage was removed, but don't worry, it'll be on the next bus and we'll take care of it."  "Angela(?) will be there on arrival and get it sorted, and take care of all the luggage."   Uneventful drive. 

Arrive at terminal.  No "Angela", no porters.  Zero indication of what to do or where to go.  Thankfully my luggage was on the bus.  Dragged my luggage (for a 32 day cruise) through parking lots, over curbs, over streets, up to the door of the luggage  barn. 

Embarkation was easy.  Boarded just before 1pm, and was able to get lunch in the dining room.  (remember I was group 2 of at least 4 for a 3pm sailing.)  My account was charged again for the transfer since I wasn't on the list, but that was resolved.

Your mileage my vary

A taxi is easy, a Princess transfer will be a nightmare, because they load all the luggage, have to wait til a bus is full before leaving, and at LAX they have to stop, find a parking spot in the LAX zoo at every one of 8 or so terminals, unload the often infirm passengers, unload their luggage, and proceed from there. For much less you can hop on a taxi and be at the airport before the bus leaves. 

You can have cell phone access in the US and in Mexico, by buying an esim. Most new phone plans are loaded with esims instead of traditional sim cards, so the technology is not that difficult. I use an app called Airalo, and instead of paying $20/day for wifi to Mexico, I get a $6 1GB one-week pass that covers me on land, which allows me to use translation software, as well as Uber, which costs a fraction of the cost of what a taxi will demand there. It also gives you cell phone access if you get in trouble and need to contact the port rep.  I'm sure Airalo has a US pass for Canadians, which will pay for itself with an Uber/Lyft ride to/from San Pedro. You can practice fake bookings on Uber and Lyft before your cruise, and get an idea of prices at the times you'd use it, such as a Saturday morning. They're perfect for a hotel pickup and more interesting and safe than a taxi, since they're rated on performance and professionalism--on my last ride to San Pedro I had a friendly woman who rented a Tesla, so it was fun gliding down the freeway and seeing all its tech in action. When I'm booking a ride, I check both apps, and pick the best price, which saves me even more money.