Is Fascination a good first Cruise??

jayg287

My wife and I are going on the Fascination to the Bahamas in November for our Anniversary. This will be our first cruise. I have to say that my wife is skeptical but I can't wait. I'm trying really hard to sell her on it. The more I read the more excited I get. The only concern I have is that I have chosen a cruise that may turn out to be a deal breaker for future cruises if she doesn't enjoy it. We're 28 and have a 3 year old who will not be coming along for this trip. I'm a little nervous because it will be the first time she doesn't come with us on vacation.:eek: Based on what I have read, given that it is a short cruise, there should be alot of excitement crammed into 3 nights which is what we are hoping for. Any insight that I can use for ammunition would be much appreciated.

I'm interested to know also. We are going in July on the Fascination and I hear good and bad. We've been on the Explorer of the Seas and know this is an older smaller ship and that doesn't bother me. Just am hoping the ship won't be a ton of partyers (we have a 13 and a 15yr old going with us) on the 3day cruise with us. We can handle some but don't want a ton of falling down drunks or anything. Never been on a Carnival cruise. So anyone, give us some good news!! :)

Hubby & I took our very first cruise on Fascination in Feb 04'. We had a great time! We didnt see alot of falling down drunks. :D

We are not extremely picky people, but the ship was clean & the staff friendly. This is one of the older ships, just so you know.

I think you will have a good time. Enjoy!

I"ve never done a 3 day, so take my advice with the proverbial grain of salt. The reasons I choose a 7 day;

-I fly, I'm assuming you're not

-I need unwinding time in the sea days

-I need a newer and larger ship with more choices in night life

-I've sailed the Inspiration while it was a 7 day, my first cruise and fell in love with cruising, that being said, we now prefer the larger ships, but the smaller fascination should be great for adults.

The smaller fascination will give you more opportunity to keep running into the same folks, so you can easily meet people if you are the least bit conversive to hang with and mingle with for the cruise. In 3 days your opportunitys to relax and meet others are more limited so take every opportunity to do so if you are night people.

Now some of the newest ships are so large that for a first time cruise you can feel lost in the crowd, that's why I think your choice of a smaller ship works well, just know that if your wife has a good time, the ships to check out that are so much larger are excellent, after you've gotten the first sail down.

don't know if this helps, but I think it's a good choice for a quick get away, not enough time if relaxing and "getting away" is your goal. But I've considered a back to back on the fascination myself because the majority of reviews are excellent.

Us cruisers say, any day sailing.... is a good day.

My wife and I are in our fifties and we've been on the Fascination and loved it. For the record I've NEVER seen large numbers of "falling down drunks" on ANY cruise I've been on. I have see one or two OCCASIONALLY, but certainly never enough to effect the quality of my cruise. I DO think the 3 and 4 day cruises have a higher percentage of partiers on board, but even the small ships are very large, so there are always activities that DON'T involve people who have consumed large quantities of alcohol and places you can go so that you won't be around them. Enjoy the cruise!!

We took our first cruise, on Fascination (the 4 day itinerary) & I'd have to say it would be a great starter cruise. The ship has plenty of amenities and lots to enjoy, but is still on the smaller side so you don't become overwhelmed as you get used to all the intricacies of cruising.

The shorter itinerary is great for testing the waters (no pun intended) and seeing if it all appeals to you. If you don't care for it, it's over in a few days. If you do enjoy it, you'll be left wanting more and that's a great excuse to start planning a longer cruise.

We were hooked and have enjoyed all our cruises since. We'll be taking our second ever Carnival cruise on Liberty next month and are very much looking forward to it based on our past experience on Fascination.

My husband and I took this cruise on 3/10-3/13 and we had a great time.Was our first cruise so we didnt know what to expect,room was spotless m20 booked a guarantee , got upgraded, unless your a very very picky eater....you will find something to eat...no matter what time of day,there was always something to do. Staff was very nice and prompt,roomservice was always prompt,nice assortment of activities for young children,teenagers,and adults as well,never felt crowded even though it was close to spring break....would highly recommend:)

back in 2003 I gave my husband his first cruise on the Fascination hoping he would enjoy it enough to want to go on another. ..our only complaint was that since we flew in from Boston it was too short a trip however, I chose the 3 night in the unlikely event he wasnt crazy about it... he loved the cruise and we proceeded to book the Destiny for our first anniversary that April and have since been on the Victory and booked again for the Victory the end of April...I bet you'll have a great time

Loved the Fascination!

Your only disappointment will be having to get off after 4 days!

Since your time will be flying by !!!! I have been on the Fascination a few times, originally when it did 7 day Southern Caribbean from San Juan and that was when the ship was 1 year old, and a couple more times since it was changed over to 3 & 4 day cruises. I enjoyed the ship just as much now as I did back then. You will enjoy the cruise !!!

Thank You all for your insight. I am really anxious for this trip. I can hardly contain myself. Outside of getting sea sick (which by the way is my wife biggest fear) I can't see her not enjoying this trip. I plan on taking every possible precaution to make sure she doesn't get sea sick. Has anyone had success with with any particular remedy?

Hubby and I just took this cruise (3-17-05), a 3 day to the Bahamas and it was GREAT! This was our first cruise and we had a blast. We are 35 and 33 and left the kids with friends. We relaxed and had a blast. I get sick flying on airplanes, always have to take dramamine, and I never once felt sick on the ship! I did have dramamine just in case. Also in the ships gift shop you can buy some motion sickness pills and some wrist bands in case you do feel sea sick. We rarely felt any movement and slept like babies! I say don't take anything and wait and see how you feel, that's what I did and I didn't need it and I ALWAYS need it when flying. Three days doesn't seem long but it didn't go by that fast either, it was just perfect. Nassau was nice too. We walked around Nassau and then went back to the terminal and took a cab $8 for both of us) to Atlantis Pradise Island, and laid on the beach. There is plenty to do on the ship too! There was midnight Mexican buffet on Saturday night, it was amazing and the food was great! There is always something to do. The whole carnival staff was nice from start to finish and we will definitely sail with Carnival again. We took a 12 pack of Diet Pepsi on board with us too. I recommend taking carry on luggage with you, that's what we did and we got to take our luggage right on with us. We got to the terminal around 12-12:30 and were on the ship and in our room (E94) within 15 minutes. On monday we arrived back in Miami at 5am and debarked at 6:30am (remember we had carry on luggage) and were off the ship and through customs and at the Ft Lauderdale airport at 8am. Great time!!

Yes!

The Fascination was also our first cruise 6 years ago. Since then we have taken two a year!

It's a good size for a first. We did the 4 night. Only do 7 night cruises now.

Staf was well trained, no fallen down drunks, clean, good food and lots of fun!

ENJOY!

Archived