This site loads so SLOW!

krewzin

Is it me? Or is this one of the slooooowest loading sites in the history of the internet! Many times I have time to walk the dog while a page loads.

And lately, it's been worse than evah! :rolleyes:

Am I the only one who's bugged by this?!:mad:

For the past two days it has been extremely slow for me also. Wonder if it is because of more people visiting the site due to recent events.

I sometimes think that I want to respond to a post but by the time the "Reply to Thread" page loads I forget what I wanted to say.;)

Happy cruising,

Virginia

This is FAST compared to several months ago. I've had some problems since yesterday with all the traffic as a result of all the problems at sea. I'm assuming too many people were trying to sign on at the same time.

Yesterday I couldn't get on at all, but today I've had very little problem.

It's really been so much better since they upgraded the software, etc. If you'd gone through that, you'd think this was a breeze!:D

Is it me? Or is this one of the slooooowest loading sites in the history of the internet! Many times I have time to walk the dog while a page loads.

And lately, it's been worse than evah! :rolleyes:

Am I the only one who's bugged by this?!:mad:

It's been very bad here the last couple of days because of all the serious news in the cruise industry. There have been more visitors here at CC than normal. I think the servers can't handle the extra traffic. I've also sent an email to Laura, the site manager, although I'm sure she's aware of the situation.

Another thing I've done for the time being, is click on "User CP" in the almost top left corner, then click on "Edit Options", then go to "Thread Display Options, Visible Post Elements." I've eliminated all signatures, avatars, and images and "saved" the change. This helps the screen to load a little faster. When things calm down around here again, I'll go back and add all the "fancy" elements again. This has helped speed things up a little for me.

I've had off and on again problems with getting on the Cruise Critic site. For a while yesterday, maybe four hours, it was inaccessible. I'm on DSL and I wasn't having any problems connecting to other websites, so I'm assuming that CC's servers were overloading due to volume.

I've had problems for quite a bit...it will take forever to load, then when I try and post...it goes to a white screen.

I've found that if I leave, and come back later, things seem to be fine. I do know that it must be something here because while I am having problems with this site, I don't seem to have problems elsewhere. It probably has something to do with the number of people trying to log on to the site...or something like that.

I have had terrible trouble with loading over the past few days. Mainly during our morning which would be your evening.

I go through Mozilla usually but have found that Internet Explorer is loading quicker than Mozilla at the moment.

The trouble must be caused by everyone responding to the two disasters.

Jennie

We were trying to get on to look up a thread this afternoon, and it was sooooo slow, we gave up. I find that I can get on in the morning and late at night.....but midday is a lost cause. I hate it when I wait and wait and wait and finally the page comes up.........white. Oh well, I guess when ya have a good thing, everyone wants a piece of it.

I think one of the reasons for the recent slow downs could be the addition of the sidebar advertisements.

While I realize that cruise critics provides a wonderful service to us, and without a charge, these ads might just have pushed the resources over the top, again. susana.

Veterans of this site know that all these problems are nothing new. CC keeps saying they are updating to 'solve' these issues, yet the same problems continue, so this is not something that occurs because of one or two busy times or days. The CC problems are not because of one ship fire or any single event.

I have a lot of free message board sites that I read daily, several with many many more individual forums, thousands more posters, and messages that are posted at a rapid-fire rate, yet they never are slow or down.

You're absolutely right, Peaches. However, it is rather coincidental that I only had the problem for about an 8 hour period on the day of the fire. I've had absolutely no problem before or since then for quite a long time. Maybe just a coincidence, but I think there was increased traffic.

Which goes back to what you said ... CC doesn't have the ability to absorb an increase in traffic to this board for some reason.

:D You said it better than I, Heather.

However, why can't CC update to the point that the system can absorb peak traffic times or unusual happenings? Other sites do not have this problem anytime day or night, during big events or on a normal day. And the sites I am talking about and know very well are also 'no-fee to read or post' sites.

I think regular posters get frustrated because none of the CC updates ever solve the problems.

I switched to DSL lately, & find am I not growing old while waiting to load in.

To NAVY CHIEF you must be a BOTTOM GUNNER, or had a tour of duty on BLDG-12 at State Pier.Kept the nukes going

AS17

AS32

AS33

AS16

9 HAL cruises

Noordam 15 Apr next

Actually, no. I was a skimmer (mostly out of NOB Norfolk) who was stuck in a support billet in New London on my last tour. Seems they ran out of billets for Chief Electronics Techs in Norfolk :eek: I'm still a bit in shock over that one, 14 years in Norfolk and I'd thought I'd spend the whole time there.:D Well New London was more appealing than Cutler Maine :rolleyes: I'll be back in Virginia Beach in the spring for a reunion of the crews from USS Harry E Yarnell (CG 17). Oh you'll be happy to know they got rid of all those coffee grounds around the State Pier left on the bottom by the tenders :D so the Maasdam can pull in no problem :D Good to see another Navy shipmate, hope we get to swap Sea Stories some time in the Crow's Nest with you.

Come on down to the Big Apple on the 15th of Apr. I am always in the CROWS NEST when we shift colors. You booked the wrong NOORDAM cruise. 16 Days across the big pond, back to Spain, French Riveria, & back to Italy again, for under a C note per day. Can't beat it! We did 14 day cruise to S Carb. on the old NOORDAM. Change your cruise, I'll buy the first round.

Archived