Passport name vs Documents/Set Sail name exact match?

How much of an exact match between passport name and cruise documents/set sail pass is required?

For example:

Passport....JOHN PETER MCDONALD   

Set Sail...... John Mcdonald

Cruise recpt...... JOHN MCDONALD

Do you need the middle name on Set Sail and Cruise recpt?

Does D need to be capitalized on set sail pass?

42 minutes ago, turtle1947 said:

How much of an exact match between passport name and cruise documents/set sail pass is required?

For example:

Middle names are not required for cruises

• 5 months later...
On 4/13/2024 at 12:21 PM, turtle1947 said:

For example:

The name on your Set Sail need to exactly match your passport. I ran into this issue where my middle name was missing on Royal side but is on my passport back in July. At check in they had to correct things in royal check in system to add my middle name. It never showed up on the SetSail but that ended up being a tip. It will not prevent boarding, just slow the process a minute or two. 

after that cruise I logged into Royal website and fixed my profile to add that additional data. When I checked in for Icon earlier this month the same issue did not recur. 

Edited by donsullivan

10 minutes ago, donsullivan said:

The name on your Set Sail need to exactly match your passport. I ran into this issue where my middle name was missing on Royal side but is on my passport back in July. At check in they had to correct things in royal check in system to add my middle name. It never showed up on the SetSail but that ended up being a tip. It will not prevent boarding, just slow the process a minute or two. 

after that cruise I logged into Royal website and fixed my profile to add that additional data. When I checked in for Icon earlier this month the same issue did not recur. 

Royal never asks for or requires your middle name.  There is nowhere to enter it and they never, ever ask for it.  So, not sure what you're talking about.

• Like 1

Counter agents (lap top computers) for Royal and Celebrity often do 'name corrections' for passengers.  It is not unusual for passengers who have names like McDonald or O'Sullivan to be sent to a counter agent because the handheld tablets can't reconcile the name on the booking to the name on legal name on the passport.  Men that are Jr. or III also will run into this situation.  It is an easy fix.

Some foreign passengers (like Mexican, other South American passengers) will also be directed to a counter agent because their legal name consists of 4-5 names, while they may book the cruise using just one first name and one last name.  Again, a swipe of their passport by the counter agents usually fixes it.

Women really need to use the last name that is on their passport.  We have so many women who will be traveling with their new husband or BF and say that they want to use their new married name, or that they are divorced and don't want to use their old married name.  Unfortunately, we can only use their legal name - which is on their passport.

1 hour ago, BND said:

Royal never asks for or requires your middle name.  There is nowhere to enter it and they never, ever ask for it.  So, not sure what you're talking about.

Since it feels like you are trying to call me a liar, let me restate.

- When I checked in at Port Canaveral for a Utopia Cruise in July, the name on my registration did not exactly match my passport. The agent told me the middle name that is on my passport was missing on my reservation. He had to get someone to help him, but he fixed it there and then everything was fine.

- After I returned from that cruise I logged into my profile on Royal Caribbean website and fixed that data gap by adding missing data elements from my passport, including my middle name:

You can find this form at: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/account/profile/contact-information

image.png.63b8f74d1c7164b5c054299e9a4534df.png

- When I checked in to board Icon in early September, the data mismatch between profile and passport no longer existed and everything moved forward without incident. 

And for reference, the Icon reservation was made before I updated my profile on the website. 

So unless the representative at Port Canaveral specifically singled out just me of the thousands of passengers boarding Utopia that day- they DO need to match the data but since everything else matched, he was able to correct things to allow me to board by filling in the previously missing data. Once he told me what the issue was, I was able to go the website and add the missing data elements and the next time things moved properly. 

5 minutes ago, donsullivan said:

- When I checked in at Port Canaveral for a Utopia Cruise in July, the name on my registration did not exactly match my passport. The agent told me the middle name that is on my passport was missing on my reservation. He had to get someone to help him, but he fixed it there and then everything was fine.

- After I returned from that cruise I logged into my profile on Royal Caribbean website and fixed that data gap by adding missing data elements from my passport, including my middle name:

As a check-in agent for Royal and Celebrity, I can say that this scenario does happen, and that yes, having your online profile/info filled out completely does make a difference. (this includes name, country of birth, country of residence, emergency contact phone number). 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, donsullivan said:

Since it feels like you are trying to call me a liar, let me restate.

You can find this form at: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/account/profile/contact-information

image.png.63b8f74d1c7164b5c054299e9a4534df.png

- When I checked in to board Icon in early September, the data mismatch between profile and passport no longer existed and everything moved forward without incident. 

And for reference, the Icon reservation was made before I updated my profile on the website. 

So unless the representative at Port Canaveral specifically singled out just me of the thousands of passengers boarding Utopia that day- they DO need to match the data but since everything else matched, he was able to correct things to allow me to board by filling in the previously missing data. Once he told me what the issue was, I was able to go the website and add the missing data elements and the next time things moved properly. 

It's not required for check in.  Nowhere on the checkin page does it ask for middle name.

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

Every check in is the same quick snag for us.   DH is a "Jr."....simply takes a couple of extra minutes for agents to check it through.  Jr. is on his passport, but there is no where to input that on set sail pass docs when I fill them out.   

You can change it in their profile on the website. That was one of the items I had to change on mine and it now flows without issue. 

3 hours ago, donsullivan said:

Does not need to have middle names.  Over 35 sailings and my middle name has never been listed and it has never slowed things down.

Edited by Ken at the beach
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ken at the beach said:

Does not need to have middle names.  Over 35 sailings and my middle name has never been listed and it has never slowed things down.

Since you've all decided my experience didn't happen, despite a Royal employee telling me what was wrong to my face in July and another in this thread confirming that it does happen- I'm going to step out of this discussion and let others continue.

2 minutes ago, donsullivan said:

Since you've all decided my experience didn't happen, despite a Royal employee telling me what was wrong to my face in July and another in this thread confirming that it does happen- I'm going to step out of this discussion and let others continue.

Sorry you feel that way.  Your experience is important just not what most of us have had.  No issues when we boarded Navigator in July in LA.  We had our granddaughter with us and they never even asked for the permission letter from her parents!  No one asked when we boarded the Jewel in Amsterdam in August (though that checkin was strange as there was no ship to board there). 

18 minutes ago, donsullivan said:

Just relating my families experiences with 4 of us at over 100 sailings combines plus that of all of my clients who I have never entered in their middle names.  

Sorry you got an agent that was not properly trained but that was the exception and not the norm.

If you are a non USA citz and travelling on an ESTA then the names do need to match to keep CBP happy, other half had to have the name amended to match the ESTA and passport.

This won't apply to most on here but there is a need for names to match for some people- it's a fairly recent change too- only in past few years do you have to add middle names in the 'Given' field when applying for an ESTA for years it was never needed.

5 hours ago, donsullivan said:

You can change it in their profile on the website. That was one of the items I had to change on mine and it now flows without issue. 

You must have more pull than I do.   I tried every way I could, but the GS dept. and the check in agents told me they could not do that for adding in a "Jr.".   It's no big deal.  We are used to dealing with on check in.  

2 minutes ago, donsullivan said:

Just go to https://www.royalcaribbean.com/account/profile/contact-information

And you can add the missing data elements. I did that on mine and the problem did not recur 7 weeks later on Icon. 

Was it a "Jr" or a middle name?   Could you add "Jr." when you did your set sail pass check in at 45 days prior?  

Edited by island lady

6 minutes ago, donsullivan said:

In my case, it was both. Both fields are available on that link. 

I am talking about Set sail pass "start check in" at 45 days?   Were you able to input the "Jr."?   

The link you posted is simply a contact link...I am talking about actual online check in.  

Edited by island lady

Yes. I had already checked in for the Icon cruise on 9/7 when I made the change to my profile. The SetSail pass will not show the other data elements like middle name and 'Jr' but if they are in the profile, when they scanned everything at check-in, it now matched and no intervention was needed to fill-in the data gaps like it was for Utopia in July. 

Additional piece of clarity- the middle name and suffix will also not show up on the Sea Pass. This just fixes a mismatch in the name on Passport at Check-In

Edited by donsullivan
  • Like 1