When was the first HAL cruise you sailed on???

Rotterdam

Zuiderdam on Oct. 1, 2005 for our 40th wedding anniversary. We are now sold on HAL as all of our other cruises were on CCL. As you can see in my signature, we are sailing on the Oosterdam to Alaska in May.

Richard

First cruise was in July, 1970 aboard Rotterdam V, an 11 day Caribbean sailing from New York.

Second cruise was one year later, a 9 day Caribbean sailing aboard Rotterdam V, also from New York. This was during the time when the switch from European crew members was being made to Indonesian and Filipino. Very interesting time period.

June (if memory serves, it was the 10th) of 1978 for seven days NYC-Bermuda and return, on the Statendam.

Did five more cruises on five other lines before returning to HAL in 1992---and have stayed happily put there ever since.

Got my 40,000 mile medallion at 111 days in 1998. Now have a total of 296 days with 22 more (on two cruises) booked.

It is so interesting reading everyone's first HAL cruise. Mine is a bit boring but it was on the Zuirderdam April 2003. We have been on a total of 7 HAL cruises with 4 more booked. Looking forward to getting our first medallion. But 6 weeks from today our first day out on the Ryndam giets us to day number 50:)

Ruth, won't you get you next medallion on your next cruise?:cool:

It is so interesting reading everyone's first HAL cruise. Mine is a bit boring but it was on the Zuirderdam April 2003. We have been on a total of 7 HAL cruises with 4 more booked. Looking forward to getting our first medallion. But 6 weeks from today our first day out on the Ryndam giets us to day number 50:)

Good talking to you today!;) Ine and Ton are at LAX waiting for their flight home

Good talking to you today!;) Ine and Ton are at LAX waiting for their flight home

You too John, the timing could not have been better, I had just gotten out of church and said good by to a firend who's mother had just passed away last night and I actually heard my cell phone ring. I am so glad I got to talk to Ine her and Ton are such great people. I know they dread that long flight home but it does sound like they had a great Hawaiian cruise. It is so great that you were able to take them to and from.

John have a great race next weekend and Thanks so much for calling and letting me talk to Ine.:) It was also great talking to you:D

Yup! :) I was going to get it on the Voyage of the Spammed---with all these nice CC people around---until the Noordam cruise changed the schedule. Now it will be on the Alaska cruise---the one where I won't know anyone. :( My granddaughter can't come to the Mariners' Party since she isn't a Mariner---and I doubt she'd be interested anyway.

The Noordam Front Office called to verify my information, and offered to present the 300-day medallion on this recent cruise. It would have been nice, since longtimecruiser and her Mom were there to help me celebrate, but I don't want the medallion until I have actually earned it.

As you can see by my signature, it was an RSVP cruise on Oosterdam to the Caribbean during her first season.

It was everything I imagined that cruising would be and more - now my friends and family think I'm nuts to cruise as much as I do!

Have one more HAL cruise on the books and planning the following two...

;)

My first and only HAL cruise so far was just last fall - The Sept-Oct repositioning cruise of the Oosterdam from Vancouver to San Diego. It was also only the second cruise I ever did with a good 11 year span since the first one. All I can say was that the experience was pleasant and I loved the HAL atmosphere tremendously. Made me forget the 3 days of fog and the stormy seas one night. I left with a definitely case of post-cruise depression which I am happy to report has been cured by booking a cruise for 2006.

The first was a seven day Alaskan cruise on the old Westerdam in 1991. Since then we have been on the old Noordam, Ryndam, Statendam, Maasdam, Amsterdam, Zaandam and Rotterdam. Favorite itinerary has been the 10 day New England which we've done four times. The Amsterdam is my favorite ship. Our next HAL cruise is a three day "trial" on the Oosterdam to see if we like the Vista class well enough to go on the new Westerdam. After reading RuthC's posts, I'm not sure about it. When the Oosterdam was in San Francisco for its first visit we went to the Mariner luncheon. My first impression was not exactly wonderful.

The first was a seven day Alaskan cruise on the old Westerdam in 1991. Since then we have been on the old Noordam, Ryndam, Statendam, Maasdam, Amsterdam, Zaandam and Rotterdam. Favorite itinerary has been the 10 day New England which we've done four times. The Amsterdam is my favorite ship. Our next HAL cruise is a three day "trial" on the Oosterdam to see if we like the Vista class well enough to go on the new Westerdam. After reading RuthC's posts, I'm not sure about it. When the Oosterdam was in San Francisco for its first visit we went to the Mariner luncheon. My first impression was not exactly wonderful.

BJ--

What didn't you like about "The Big O"?

My first cruise on Hal was December 1962 on the S.S. Rotterdam for the 17 day holiday cruise. I was ten years old at the time. Have gone on lots of cruises since then. I now have over 500 days and counting. Working toward my 700 day platinum medal. Have been on other lines too but Hal is still my favorite. Adele

My first cruise on Hal was December 1962 on the S.S. Rotterdam for the 17 day holiday cruise. I was ten years old at the time. Adele

You do realize, don't you, that everyone is quickly doing the math.

Our first cruise was on the Maasdam April 2001. Our daughter had taken a Carnival cruise for her honeymoon - liked the idea of a cruise but hated Carnival and our son cruised on HAL for his honeymoon and loved it , so HAL it was. Our 6th HAL is booked for November where we will receive our 50 day pin.:)

My first cruise (if you can call it that) with HAL was during the summer of 1967. I was travelling as a foreign exchange student with American Field Service to Norway. The Seven Seas took 10 days to travel from New York to Rotterdam at the beginning of the summer and 11 days (The Queen Mary passed us twice) to return at the end. As I recall, they retired the ship after that voyage. We had to journey through Hurricane Faith and barely limped into port at that time.

Does anyone else know any information about the Seven Seas? The American Field Service had used the Rotterdam the summer before as I recall.

Since that time, I've been on the Zuiderdam twice, Rotterdam and Oosterdam once each and a South American/Antarctic Rotterdam Holiday cruise booked for Dec. 2006. Can't wait to get back to sea again.

Archived