Not Canadian, but want to know if I'll freeze doing cruise to Quebec 1st week of October

22 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Sure, if they've gone to Florida.

LOL... True. But in this town, quite a few sport the shorts all year with crocs. And yes, they look like idiots JMHO... hahahaha.... it's a generation thing.... still idiots.....🤣

• 1 month later...

I'd check the long range forecast for each city about 2 weeks prior to your. I'm from Halifax orginally and have lived across the entire country and really the temp depends on the year. Currently in Ottawa about 4 hours from Quebec so tends to be a few degrees warmer here depending on the weather stream. We had 24 C on Christmas Eve one year and - 24 C the next year. Crap shoot. As mentioned above, most October temps are quite lovely.  Light jacket or sweatshirt, sneakers, and a hat to keep the wind away from your ears if there's bit of a gale wind blowing thru the Atlantic or along the St Lawrence.  It's a beautiful region. Enjoy your cruise. 

1 hour ago, Tanzaniamama said:

I'd check the long range forecast for each city about 2 weeks prior to your. I'm from Halifax orginally and have lived across the entire country and really the temp depends on the year. Currently in Ottawa about 4 hours from Quebec so tends to be a few degrees warmer here depending on the weather stream. We had 24 C on Christmas Eve one year and - 24 C the next year. Crap shoot. As mentioned above, most October temps are quite lovely.  Light jacket or sweatshirt, sneakers, and a hat to keep the wind away from your ears if there's bit of a gale wind blowing thru the Atlantic or along the St Lawrence.  It's a beautiful region. Enjoy your cruise. 

Oh nice.  24c at Christmas.  Just need to know it's + or -.

• 5 weeks later...

Up here we do get all 4 seasons, sometimes in the same day.

Living in Calgary we have a joke that goes something like this:

"What do you call -20C in January"...

"A heat wave"

😁

We just came back from Austria/Slovenia/Croatia.  For the first week, it was 33c heat wave in Vienna.  Then temps plunged.  As we went to Slovenia and Croatia, it got cold, and rainy.  A few days ago, it snowed around Salzburg.  The guide said they never have temps like that in Sept., and never seen snow in Sept. there.  Well, it did snow and the mountain peaks were covered in snow for several days.  There were accidents on the highway, as most vehicles did not have winter tires, and we were stuck on the highway for hours.

On Sun., 9/15, as we were going back to Vienna, there were sever flooding all over Vienna, and some highways into Vienna were closed.  It took us many hours more to eventually get into Vienna late that night.  On Mon. 9/16, there were severe wind and our flight was delayed out of Vienna.

People in Vienna and Salzburg wouldn't have told us to pack winter clothing for early to mid-Sept.  They never had snow, or rain like that.  But it happened.

At least people hear are letting you know it can be cold, or warm, for Oct. in Quebec.

• Like 1

Hubby and I will be boarding the Radiance next week from Vancouver to La, and on through the Panama Canal to Tampa. He refuses to take long sleeve shirts but will have a light weight jacket plus slacks for dinner. I'm thinking I should pack a few long sleeve blouses for a few days until we sail farther south. I intend to wear long jeans, long sleeve shirt, and light jacket on the plane. Still packing plenty of shorts, capris and short sleeve tops to wear when south of LA. Does this sound like a good plan? Hate to drag a winter coat along. Thanks all!

Edited by SilkySal
add

1 hour ago, SilkySal said:

Hubby and I will be boarding the Radiance next week from Vancouver to La, and on through the Panama Canal to Tampa. He refuses to take long sleeve shirts but will have a light weight jacket plus slacks for dinner. I'm thinking I should pack a few long sleeve blouses for a few days until we sail farther south. I intend to wear long jeans, long sleeve shirt, and light jacket on the plane. Still packing plenty of shorts, capris and short sleeve tops to wear when south of LA. Does this sound like a good plan? Hate to drag a winter coat along. Thanks all!

Long sleeves and pants are also a good idea at dusk sailing in the tropics.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SilkySal said:

It's currently mid-60s F in Vancouver, and the weather could go in any direction between now and then - looks like next Wednesday the forecast is for 70F. Much depends on how you deal with heat/cold. I run hot, so I'm less likely to take long sleeves and jackets for temps in that range, although I always bring a couple of cardigans to deal with temperature fluctuations. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SilkySal said:

Hubby and I will be boarding the Radiance next week from Vancouver to La, and on through the Panama Canal to Tampa. He refuses to take long sleeve shirts

Let him pack what he wants. If the temperature drops below what he anticipated, he can go to the ship's stores and pick up something to keep him warm. On our very first cruise out of Port Everglades many years ago, the temperature made one of those sudden drops that leave  oranges frozen in their wake. While I had long sleeved shirts, they were inadequate, and I bought a very nice sweater aboard that was perfect.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SilkySal said:

I doubt you will require a winter coat. Vancouver is on the West Coast, where even in January, it rarely snows and temps seldom drop below freezing. Currently, at almost 18:00, the temperature is 22C/72F. For the next week they are forecasting 17 - 23 C.

To put it in perspective, I'm still in shorts and short sleeve golf shirts. Only use a jacket when walking the dog in the rain.

Rain is forecast next week, so I suggest a brolly may be of more use than a winter coat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1