When do the papantla flyers perform?

kad56

Has anyone noticed if theres any sort of schedule or timeframe for the Papantla flyers in the port area? I'll need to leave quickly after embarkation for a tour, and I'm wondering if I'll have a chance to see them when I get back. I've noticed in other port that the musicians that greet ships tend to be gone by the end of the day (not the same thing.... but also entertainment).

our last time in CM (January) they were performing when we went through the port area around 8:30A.  But didn't see them when we came back through around 3:30P.

Posted (edited)

I saw a recent blog with a good up to date review of the port and its new area and facilities.

It stated that there wasn’t an actual schedule posted for the flyers, so no start and stop time (probably dependent on how many ships and port hours) but they appeared to perform every hour.

Edited by c-leg5

12 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I saw a recent blog with a good up to date review of the port and its new area and facilities.

@c-leg5 Got a link or general directions for it? Will be there next week and just going to walk around the port for a bit then get back on the ship. TIA!

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

@c-leg5 Got a link or general directions for it? Will be there next week and just going to walk around the port for a bit then get back on the ship. TIA!

I have learnt a lot from posters during my 15+ years on CC. 

Unfortunately it has become very difficult to post useful links because although helpful and innocuous in themselves they are often linked to travel sites. Hence the reason I edited my previous post. 

I found it by searching “Papantla schedule Costa Maya”. It is a photo blog with   description of a walk around the port. 

There is also another up-to-date You-tube video that shows the new pool and flow rider although I haven’t seen anything that lists prices for the flow rider anywhere. 

Good idea just to walk around for a couple of hours in my opinion these days. Unfortunately my enthusiasm for Costa Maya has sadly declined.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Unfortunately it has become very difficult to post useful links because although helpful and innocuous in themselves they are often linked to travel sites.

Understood, that's why I asked for "general directions" if you couldn't share a link. Thanks.

I have learnt a lot from posters during my 15+ years on CC. 

Totally get that. I've only become a daily reader/contributor in recent years now that we're able to cruise a bit more often but that's how I learned much of what I know.

Good idea just to walk around for a couple of hours in my opinion these days. Unfortunately my enthusiasm for Costa Maya has sadly declined.

We cruise mostly for the ship and try to do one long excursion plus CocoCay per cruise (just works well for us between personal preference, cost, etc.). Costa Maya quickly becomes a non-excursion port between lack of interest and it's an early departure on our usual Western itinerary. We enjoyed a smaller beach club there many years ago but it's not appealing to us to go to a beach club when all-aboard is 1:30pm.

Thanks for the ongoing Mexican port knowledge. I'll go try to find that blog now.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/27/2024 at 11:09 AM, OCSC Mike said:

Will be there next week and just going to walk around the port for a bit then get back on the ship.

Hi! We are considering the same for our upcoming cruise in September. We have been to Costa Maya once before but didn't really explore much in port other than to walk through it to catch a taxi to our excursion. I just can't seem to come up with anything this time around that I think sounds worth the extra cost especially with it being such a short port day. I am curious if you tried any of the pools in port or have any recommendations of things worth checking out based on your recent trip? Thanks!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bjlbbk said:

Hi! We are considering the same for our upcoming cruise in September. We have been to Costa Maya once before but didn't really explore much in port other than to walk through it to catch a taxi to our excursion. I just can't seem to come up with anything this time around that I think sounds worth the extra cost especially with it being such a short port day. I am curious if you tried any of the pools in port or have any recommendations of things worth checking out based on your recent trip? Thanks!

We were actually there twice since early June. It was raining when we docked during the 1st trip so we were just going skip it but the rain stopped just before noon so we decided to go for a walk as planned. The 2nd time we were already planning to stay on the ship... which worked out well because a pretty massive t-storm rolled through and we watched plenty of soaked passengers taking the long walk back down the pier in sideways rain from the covered Solarium.

In any case, I would personally not bother getting off the ship again just for the port. But we also avoid the sun/heat and to use the pools/loungers there you have to buy a large drink. I'd sooner sit on the ship in the shade where loungers are free (as are my drinks since we're D+ with Royal).

That said, the pools look nice and seem popular (the newer, smaller one is less crowded b/c most people just plop down at the first one) and if you want to do some shopping, there's nothing wrong with the stores. There are the usual touristy ones but there are a couple places to get food, a chocolate store, a stand with fresh, roasted nuts (the samples we tried were very good), a gelato shop, etc. There's an aviary there if seeing birds is of interest that costs < $20pp. You can see flamingos for free.

Hope that helps. I was trying to be unbiased. Just b/c sitting by those pools isn't appealing to us doesn't mean it's not enjoyable to others.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

We were actually there twice since early June. It was raining when we docked during the 1st trip so we were just going skip it but the rain stopped just before noon so we decided to go for a walk as planned. The 2nd time we were already planning to stay on the ship... which worked out well because a pretty massive t-storm rolled through and we watched plenty of soaked passengers taking the long walk back down the pier in sideways rain from the covered Solarium.

In any case, I would personally not bother getting off the ship again just for the port. But we also avoid the sun/heat and to use the pools/loungers there you have to buy a large drink. I'd sooner sit on the ship in the shade where loungers are free (as are my drinks since we're D+ with Royal).

That said, the pools look nice and seem popular (the newer, smaller one is less crowded b/c most people just plop down at the first one) and if you want to do some shopping, there's nothing wrong with the stores. There are the usual touristy ones but there are a couple places to get food, a chocolate store, a stand with fresh, roasted nuts (the samples we tried were very good), a gelato shop, etc. There's an aviary there if seeing birds is of interest that costs < $20pp. You can see flamingos for free.

Hope that helps. I was trying to be unbiased. Just b/c sitting by those pools isn't appealing to us doesn't mean it's not enjoyable to others.

Thank you…that is all very helpful! We may give the port a shot since we have not been there in a few years….especially knowing it’s an easy walk back to the ship if it feels too crowded or we don’t find anything too exciting. We love the ship so are definitely not opposed to going back early.

Good to know about the newer pool though as that was not there on our last visit. We have the unlimited dining package so won’t be too tempted by any of the food but we have offered to share our Diamond drinks with friends who are joining us, so we don’t mind buying a drink or two to claim a lounger if we decide to stay a while. The Mojito bar sounds like something we would enjoy (would love to hear about it if anyone has tried it!).

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bjlbbk said:

Thank you…that is all very helpful! We may give the port a shot since we have not been there in a few years….especially knowing it’s an easy walk back to the ship if it feels too crowded or we don’t find anything too exciting. We love the ship so are definitely not opposed to going back early.

Good to know about the newer pool though as that was not there on our last visit. We have the unlimited dining package so won’t be too tempted by any of the food but we have offered to share our Diamond drinks with friends who are joining us, so we don’t mind buying a drink or two to claim a lounger if we decide to stay a while. The Mojito bar sounds like something we would enjoy (would love to hear about it if anyone has tried it!).

I used to be a big advocate for at least taking a taxi to the local town of mahahual, (if time didn’t allow one of the quieter out of town beach clubs) to avoid the overpriced and overcrowded facilities within the port. 

However since cruising resumed I have been very disappointed by the greed and overcharging by taxis and locations in town. I am not sure what the underlying reason is for this. Sadly I also would tend to just visit the port for a few hours, especially with the short port hours we have experienced recently. The new pool is at the back of the port where you used to go to exit,  along with a flow rider.

i assume you realize the port is not owned by Royal Caribbean exclusively and food and drink have to be purchased?

You will also be less bothered by sargassum at the port which can be a big problem in the summer months at the beaches in the area. June, July and August I would probably just stay on the ship due to the heat anyway and not even bother with the port - not the best time to visit this area if you have a choice. Fortunately we tend to visit November thru February.

I really hope Mahahual will recover and flourish again one day it was doing so well pre-Covid.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

I used to be a big advocate for at least taking a taxi to the local town of mahahual, (if time didn’t allow one of the quieter out of town beach clubs) to avoid the overpriced and overcrowded facilities within the port. 

However since cruising resumed I have been very disappointed by the greed and overcharging by taxis and locations in town. I am not sure what the underlying reason is for this. Sadly I also would tend to just visit the port for a few hours, especially with the short port hours we have experienced recently. The new pool is at the back of the port where you used to go to exit,  along with a flow rider.

i assume you realize the port is not owned by Royal Caribbean exclusively and food and drink have to be purchased?

You will also be less bothered by sargassum at the port which can be a big problem in the summer months at the beaches in the area. June, July and August I would probably just stay on the ship due to the heat anyway and not even bother with the port - not the best time to visit this area if you have a choice. Fortunately we tend to visit November thru February.

I really hope Mahahual will recover and flourish again one day it was doing so well pre-Covid.

Thank you for the extra feedback! We aren’t too familiar with Mahahual. We did a cooking class at a private location the last time we were there (right after cruising started back up) but we didn’t see much else of the local town. I’ve been looking into other alternatives but I get the impression that this general area is not known for its beaches (maybe because of the sargassum), so we would rather save our beach day for another port day. We considered the Mayan Ruins but it seems like a long drive for such a short day. 

Yes, we do know this port is not owned by Royal Caribbean …though it would be that much more fun if it was and we could redeem our Diamond drinks while there! The only reason I mentioned that we had the unlimited dining package was to say we will be too full to eat anything while in port. We tend to over indulge while onboard so there is no point in spending any extra money on food as our next meal will be awaiting us onboard :).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2024 at 3:12 PM, bjlbbk said:

I took an excursion to the Chacchoben ruins when I was there.  I thought it was worthwhile, but if you're looking for more of a beach day, then that may not appeal to you.  I spend a couple hours down in Mahahual too, just walking along the boardwalk.

Could anyone who has been to Costa Maya recently give me an idea of what a taxi would cost to go from the port to Mahahual?  And is it easy to get a taxi back from there to the port?  And are USD accepted by taxi drivers?  

10 minutes ago, roothy123 said:

Could anyone who has been to Costa Maya recently give me an idea of what a taxi would cost to go from the port to Mahahual?  And is it easy to get a taxi back from there to the port?  And are USD accepted by taxi drivers?  

$4pp each way. Yes and yes.

• Thanks 1