Cruise/Tour Packing Tips needed

We are doing a Cruise Tour (tour, then cruise). I have done one before. I know that each will be able to get a bag sent to the ship to await our arrival.  The other will travel 'with us'.  I have Elite status, so I have laundry on the ship, so I suppose that cuts my packing requirements.  

Before married, I did a tour with my family. That tour was only a few days, this one is 7.  Also, since then, I have more 'devices' (like a CPAP) that will need to travel with me on the bus and such.  A small suitcase is required for the cpap and the computer I will need to have with me (and a pillow I need for my knees when I sleep).  Another will be needed for my clothes.

What packing advice does anyone have to offer?  

2 minutes ago, sirclean said:

We are doing a Cruise Tour (tour, then cruise). I have done one before. I know that each will be able to get a bag sent to the ship to await our arrival.  The other will travel 'with us'.  I have Elite status, so I have laundry on the ship, so I suppose that cuts my packing requirements.  

Before married, I did a tour with my family. That tour was only a few days, this one is 7.  Also, since then, I have more 'devices' (like a CPAP) that will need to travel with me on the bus and such.  A small suitcase is required for the cpap and the computer I will need to have with me (and a pillow I need for my knees when I sleep).  Another will be needed for my clothes.

What packing advice does anyone have to offer?  

Sounds like you're just about set. 

Suitcase for your clothes, toiletries, etc. 

Carry-on case with CPAP and laptop. Will this fit under an airline seat for instance? If so, it'll literally go on the bus, etc with you in hand, otherwise, it'll go under the bus.  If it won't fit aboard with you, a small backpack/carry case that will fit under your seat for meds, valuables, laptop, etc.

And send case to ship with ship clothes, if you want. I never have, I just don't pack that much, lol.. even with formal wear, shoes, etc one case was all I needed for 7 nights land, 7 night sailing. 

Mix and match. Wear things more than once (jeans or sweatshirts, sweaters can very often get two or three wears til they're dirty, unless doing something that specifically gets them dirty, ATV or fishing or something).  

Do laundry at the lodges if you need to im order to cut down in clothes.  

Just checking the agenda.  We will travel for about 4 1/2 hours on the train from Denali the Park to Denali the mountain.  There is a note that the space is limited to the space below your seat on the train.  (Im 6'3" and not small around either), so space under my seat may be needed to hold me!  

anyone have pictures or experience on the train?  (I was on the train 10 years ago, and from the more recent pictures it is a very different set up. )  

Any thoughts about the Train?  I remember the train as one of the highlights of the last trip, I dont want to have issues being squished this time! 

Not with Princess but we did an Alaska by Rail last Summer and the train was fantastic.  We just had backpacks inside the train but had 2 suitcases as luggage that were checked and loaded in the luggage compartment with the rest of stuff from our group.  Wonderful trip.  You will love the train.

Posted (edited)

It all depends:

How much luggage will the airlines allow?  Computer counts as personal item.  CPAP counts as (free) medical device.  And over head bag.

I did an Alaskan land tour way back when ... luggage wasn't an issue.  One bag packed for land, One bag packed for ship.  Then I had to buy shorts someplace on land because it was so hot and I had packed cold weather clothes.  The train was freezing and I was glad to have my wool jacket.

If I were to do it again, I would pack half and half to cover all weather.  Without the luxury of free bags, you may have to stuff everything in to your carry on...or take the one suitcase with you on both land then cruise.  If traveling with someone else, split the clothes between two suitcases.  I hope you and the other are very friendly with each other.

Most of the buses/train will have an overhead rack for your CPAP.  Do not let out out of your sight.

Edited by cr8tiv1

On the plane, the cpap and computer and assorted electronics fit overhead, but clearly not under the seat. The itinerary states, "Please note that luggage storage on the train is limited to the area immediately beneath your feet...."  

So that is the issue I dont want to be stepping and kicking my cpap or laptop, or have my knees in my chest.

Pictures of the train anyone?

I do not have photos of the train, but the bag will need to go under the seat in front, there is no storage overhead as it is all windows for the views. However, I traveled with my boyfriend (6'3") and he did not have any issue with his bag going under the seat in front of him. There is more leg room on the train than there is in a standard airline seat. 

I would check with Princess about the CPAP on the train to see if they have some accommodation. It shouldn’t count as a carry on, but you can’t magically make more space under the seat.