Wine Purchase in Barcelona Pre-Cruise

Can someone suggest where to buy a bottle of wine to bring on board cruise? I'm not sure what type of store to look for. I'm not looking for anything fancy, but bonus points if you can recommend a good local wine! 🙂

4 hours ago, GAgaltravel said:

Can someone suggest where to buy a bottle of wine to bring on board cruise? I'm not sure what type of store to look for. I'm not looking for anything fancy, but bonus points if you can recommend a good local wine! 🙂

Hi

I wrote about wine shopping in Spain some months ago.

Anyway.... if you are searching for a good wine but not a very specific wine, any supermarket should be enough.

I would buy good olive oil too.

A

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GAgaltravel said:

WOW! Thanks for this! Extremely helpful!

You are invited to write in that thread and push the like button.

Your Q&A may help next visitors

On 6/3/2024 at 4:49 PM, GAgaltravel said:

Can someone suggest where to buy a bottle of wine to bring on board cruise

Also El Corte Inglés Plaça de Catalunya

2 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Also El Corte Inglés Plaça de Catalunya

Of course. It could be a bit more expensive but they will have a wide wine offer and they also have a gourmet section with upper wines too.

Nearest supermarket to the pier are these ones

Alcampo

Plaza del duque de Medinaceli

Coviran

Calle del Arco del teatro

Carrefour Express

Avenida de Drassanes 29

just to know because if you buy some bottles you may carry them later. Maybe someone wanna grab a taxi and ask for a supermarket by the end.... or just underground to Drassanes, stop to buy wine and later, a taxi to the pier

I would buy olive oil too

1 minute ago, alserrod said:

I would buy olive oil too

Lovely idea.

As an aside, living in Spain you will be aware of the recent price increases for olive oil. I cannot remember ever seeing it as costly as it now is and we are using it more sparingly.

2 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Lovely idea.

As an aside, living in Spain you will be aware of the recent price increases for olive oil. I cannot remember ever seeing it as costly as it now is and we are using it more sparingly.

Yeah, within 2-3 years price hasn't been doubled but it has increase at least about 80%.

But for Spanish cuisine (and in general all Mediterranean cuisine) Olive oil is as essential as curry is for Indian cuisine so people remains buying it

8 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

but using it more sparingly like us.🙁

If it is for salads, the same amount will be used everywhere. The oil used for salads (raw oil, not fried) is usually the highest quality and is very noticeable in the flavor. You don't need that much either. Note that in Spain you will not only see salad sauces (Caesar sauce, Thousand Island Sauce, etc...) but simply oil, vinegar and salt.

If it is for cakes and pies, the same is also used all over the world. What's more, it is advisable to use sunflower oil or olive oil with little flavor. The best olive oil for salads can ruin the flavor of a cake

Air fryers are increasingly used for fried foods, so consumption is much lower.

However, there are many other dishes whose flavor would be totally different without olive oil.
For many dishes, something totally essential is to prepare a "sofrito" with green peppers, tomato, garlic and onion. They are chopped and then fried for several minutes in olive oil. The result will be part of the base of the dish you are going to cook.

And I say many dishes... and I also include paella. To have a good paella you don't need to have good rice (that's easy and you get it from the supermarket) but rather the ingredients that you have passed through oil as well as the "broth" (vegetable soup, fish soup, etc...) that is cast

And there is a proverb that says that with worse ingredients you get a worse dish after cooking.

These are first steps for a Paella rice.

As you can see, even Paella will not taste the same with less olive oil

Paella: qué debe llevar el sofrito para que tenga mucho más sabor | Pag: 3

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2024 at 5:12 AM, edinburgher said:

Lovely idea.

As we are both Italian, olive oil is also a staple of our cuisine. Prices here in Canada have also gone up by almost 100%. But we still buy and when it rarely goes on sale, we pick up a case of 12 x 750ml.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2024 at 10:49 AM, GAgaltravel said:

We just went to a grocery store on Las Ramblas.  Excellent prices on local wines.