Brindisi - beach ?

jammer1000

Hi we are on a cruise visiting Brindisi in August with lots of busy ports before and after this stop so would like to try to do a half day at a sandy beach, we are in port 10am- 7pm on a Sunday. Has anyone done this in this port and has any recommendations/tips. There is no beach excursion or transfer with the cruise line ( Celebrity ) . Many thanks. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jammer1000 said:

Hi we are on a cruise visiting Brindisi in August with lots of busy ports before and after this stop so would like to try to do a half day at a sandy beach, we are in port 10am- 7pm on a Sunday. Has anyone done this in this port and has any recommendations/tips. There is no beach excursion or transfer with the cruise line ( Celebrity ) . Many thanks.

There are beaches close to Brindisi and Google will be your best friend when searching for them, also for facilities on each and transport to and from them. and do read reviews as it may be necessary  to pre-book chairs and umbrellas.

However, a word of caution.  August is  usually the hottest month in Europe and that is also when the majority of European residents take their holidays with millions on the move meaning that beach holidays are super popular. and beach areas can be crowded.  And in our experience, beaches on Sundays can be extra busy as local residents also  flock to them from very early in the day, meaning they can already be busy busy by 0800.

Should you decide against, if your ship offers a shorex to Matera,i can highly recommend. It is unique in the world and you could find info and images online.

Edited by edinburgher

Thanks, yes I have googled but there’s not a huge amount of practical info out there. No Matera excursion on offer. Thanks for the tip re crowds at beaches, much appreciated.

4 hours ago, jammer1000 said:

Thanks, yes I have googled but there’s not a huge amount of practical info out there. No Matera excursion on offer. Thanks for the tip re crowds at beaches, much appreciated.

If there is an excursion to Alberobello, take it.  Better yet if it includes an additional town such as Locorotondo. 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, marazul said:

I have googled but there’s not a huge amount of practical info out there

Have you considered contacting the OFFICIAL Brindisi(or Puglia) Tourist information Office as staff there will be local and should know. They may have an e-mail contact address or form on their website or maybe try them on social media?

and if you have not already done so, have you searched for and read through some of the past threads about Brindisi?  Choose from these

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=brindisi&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=464

Sorry that Matera is not offered as a shorex

Edited by edinburgher

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, jammer1000 said:

Thanks, yes I have googled but there’s not a huge amount of practical info out there. No Matera excursion on offer.

jammer 1000 see above post.

marazull, apologies once again for quoting you in error.  Nowadays it appears I am having more and more senior moments☹️

Edited by edinburgher
  • Haha 1