Kilitbahir Castle across from Çanakkale?

Anyone have experience taking to public ferry from ÇANAKKALE to Kilitbahir? I’ve only found one YouTube video but would like more information if possible. Thank you!

The Kilitbahir ferry leaves Canakkale just along the quay from the Eceabat ferry.

Can't really help, we ported just outside Canakkale but crossed the Straits from Canakkale to the much busier port of Eceabat. From there we negotiated a taxi tour across the peninsula to ANZAC Cove, scene of the disastrous Aus / NZ landings during WW1, and associated minor sights.

Back at Eceabat there's an excellent waterfront diorama of that Campaign that you can walk through. It's immediately to your left after you get off the ferry at Eceabat

There doesn't seem to be much at Kilitbahir, but it's only a five-minute walk from ferry to castle, and the castle looks pretty cool. I'm guessing the castle has its own WW1 stories too.

Only small cruise ships can port - then a 10-minute shuttlebus into port.

Larger ships moor off-shore, I'm guessing passengers are tendered to the same place as the ferries.

BTW there's a giant wooden horse on Canakkale's waterfront - the ancient city of Troy is about an hour's drive.

The sail thro' the Straits of Dardanelles is pretty interesting - hopefully you're on your way to Istanbul, one of my favourite cities

JB 🙂

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

The Kilitbahir ferry leaves Canakkale just along the quay from the Eceabat ferry.

Can't really help, we ported just outside Canakkale but crossed the Straits from Canakkale to the much busier port of Eceabat. From there we negotiated a taxi tour across the peninsula to ANZAC Cove, scene of the disastrous Aus / NZ landings during WW1, and associated minor sights.

Back at Eceabat there's an excellent waterfront diorama of that Campaign that you can walk through. It's immediately to your left after you get off the ferry at Eceabat

There doesn't seem to be much at Kilitbahir, but it's only a five-minute walk from ferry to castle, and the castle looks pretty cool. I'm guessing the castle has its own WW1 stories too.

Only small cruise ships can port - then a 10-minute shuttlebus into port.

Larger ships moor off-shore, I'm guessing passengers are tendered to the same place as the ferries.

BTW there's a giant wooden horse on Canakkale's waterfront - the ancient city of Troy is about an hour's drive.

The sail thro' the Straits of Dardanelles is pretty interesting - hopefully you're on your way to Istanbul, one of my favourite cities

JB 🙂

Thanks for your insight. We'll be a Viking cruise (900 pax) on our way from Istanbul, which is the high point for me. The Viking included is Troy, but I think the castle may be a fun and simple activity for the rest of the day.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/10/2024 at 11:05 PM, amtatom said:

I think the castle may be a fun and simple activity for the rest of the day.

We enjoyed the naval museum on the waterfront more than we had expected to with DH especially enjoying it.  You could check sightseeing suggestions and reviews for Canakkale on Tripadvisor and other online resources.

We did actually take the little ferry across to Kilitbahir but didn't stay there very long as parts of it were closed. It was only minutes from the ferry dock so an easy little trip if you check ferry timings.  We paid for our tickets onboard  in Turkish lira.

Otherwise we strolled around town and bought a bottle of raki in the supermarket to take back onboard with us.

Edited by edinburgher