First Time on Royal (Adventure of the Seas)

On 7/4/2024 at 1:07 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Always interesting how different people view things differently. Navigator and Mariner are my two favorite Voyager class ships because they have both been amped. I am a big fan of Playmaker’s and I also like the Bamboo Room on these ships. In my opinion, Navigator had the best slides on any RCI ship until Icon came along. 

The so-called amplification removed several nice complimentary facilities on these ships in favor of packing in more cabins and passengers. That's my biggest beef, though it's just the way things are skewing now with refurbs and new builds. I'd rather they left the older ships alone instead of trying to remake them in the mold of the new ships, but that isn't likely.

On 7/9/2024 at 2:24 PM, scidee said:

Thank you for posting about Adventure of the Seas.  We are exploring taking our grandsons (ages 4 &7) and their parents on the Adventure as they want a  day cruise.  From your experience would there be enough fun activities for the boys on the ship?  We're cruisers ( 35+) but usually on ships under 2400 people.  The Oasis class  seems so big!  But they do offer more, yet are those activities for older kids and not work for our young ones?  

We would appreciate any insight you have.  Thank You.

Not sure if you misunderstood but the Adventure is a Voyager class ship (mid-size), not Oasis class. Or, maybe I misunderstood you. Cheers!

I was specifically asking about Adventure of the Seas or other Voyager class ships.  Wondering if there are enough fun things for a 4 & 7 year old to do,  I've read that there are activities for older kids but not necessarily younger ones.

Just now, scidee said:

I was specifically asking about Adventure of the Seas or other Voyager class ships.  Wondering if there are enough fun things for a 4 & 7 year old to do,  I've read that there are activities for older kids but not necessarily younger ones.

There is plenty to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scidee said:

Found this for you. Scroll down and you'll see the activities on board for your kids. Enjoy!

https://www.cruisecritic.com/cruise/royal-caribbean/adventure-of-the-seas/activities

1 hour ago, CntPAcruiser said:

The so-called amplification removed several nice complimentary facilities on these ships in favor of packing in more cabins and passengers. That's my biggest beef, though it's just the way things are skewing now with refurbs and new builds. I'd rather they left the older ships alone instead of trying to remake them in the mold of the new ships, but that isn't likely.

I can understand your point of view. I just boarded Grandeur this morning and looking forward to a more laid back, “older style” cruise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scidee said:

Our first cruise was on Adventure back when our kids were about that age (they are 22 and 25 now).  We couldn't pry them out of Adventure Ocean (kid's club) back then.  If they have never been on a cruise they will probably love it.  AO usually is great for kids that age.  It's once they reach the pre-teen/teen years that they get picky and you need all the bells and whistles of the big ships to keep them occupied.

• Like 1

Glad you enjoyed your RC cruise. We came from Carnival ourselves.  Have not tried NCL.  We do have another cruise on Carnival next year, along with a Royal later in 2025.  There are things we like better on each cruise line although our recent Royal cruise seemed to suit us better.  How did Royal compare to NCL?  Just curious.  We don't jump around normally.  But... we are looking for new places to go and often see who is more cost effective going there.  

Many years ago (we're in 70's now), American-Hawaii was our first cruise line (no longer called that now), then Princess, then NCL, and finally Royal. We found Royal's line to be a perfect fit for us, mostly because of the excellent service and ability to resolve issues, big or small, and a much better loyalty program. We expanded our cruise experience to Royal's sister line, Celebrity last year to Hawaii again, and absolutely loved it as well, especially the World Class bar. We have a total of 18 more cruises booked through April, 2026, the majority will be on Royal and a couple are back on a different Celebrity Ship, the brand new one not even out yet, Celebrity Xcel, and we can't hardly wait! Since we are getting older and don't really like flying anymore, we now cruise mostly for the ships, not the itineraries, and Royal has always been very good to us, so we will probably continue to be loyal to the Royal line. Personal preference and blessed to be able to continue cruising, for now anyway! Happy cruising and cheers to all!

How strictly is dress code enforced in MDR; specifically shorts?

Wife would like to wear shorts (as would I) on non-formal nights. We have perfectly appropriate tops (collared shirts, etc.) and neither of us wear inappropriately-short shorts. But just wondering if you were seeing anyone turned away?

2 hours ago, jlandz09 said:

Wife would like to wear shorts (as would I) on non-formal nights. We have perfectly appropriate tops (collared shirts, etc.) and neither of us wear inappropriately-short shorts. But just wondering if you were seeing anyone turned away?

You'll see more than a few people, men and women, wearing shorts on formal night.

On 7/15/2024 at 3:38 PM, jlandz09 said:

I have never seen anyone turned away from the MDR on RCI for wearing shorts. On most cruise nights I wear shorts to the MDR, with the exception that I always wear pants on formal nights (or dress your best or whatever is the latest dress code term of the day).  

On 7/15/2024 at 1:38 PM, jlandz09 said:

Short of you walking in there like you came right out of the pool, you're generally safe.

Golf/cargo shorts and a collared shirt will generally be middle of the road for attire.