MSC Seaview REVIEW. June 22nd to June 29th from Barcelona, visiting Cannes, Genova, La Spezia, Civitavecchia and Palma.

alserrod

On sailing day we all got up later than normal. I don't remember when but clearly late. I wanted to have gone to the restaurant for breakfast and tried it. I stayed waiting for my wife to wake up, she did and she told me that she didn't feel like having breakfast. She would accompany me to the buffet but she didn't have breakfast.

Too bad, because if I had known, I would have gone to the restaurant by myself.
We went to the buffet alone. My daughters were still sleeping. I wrote a message with the MSC app to my brothers to find out where they were.

In the end we went to have breakfast at the buffet at 7. I don't know if I said it, I never found salmon but I did find herring that was pretty good. It's something I don't usually find in my house.

After breakfast, I wanted to go to the MasterChef that they organized in the theater.

They gave us all a sheet to write down our data and they put 10 questions with various answers to write down. Questions related to food. From what they said, there were several who got eight questions right (none of them did nine or ten) and raffled off three for the test they prepared.

To get an idea of the origin of the passengers who were in the Mediterranean that week, the first one to leave was Australian, the second was South African and the third was Spanish.

The presenter was quite funny. He organized a lot to make it funny by speaking in so many languages at the same time. That has a lot of merit. The three assistants of the animation team were Italian, Argentine and Colombian. It was one of the few times that they said the nationality of the crew in the entertainment team (which I don't understand because the rest of the people had the name of the country written down).

The test consisted of decorating a dessert with items given to them. Five minutes to do it with originality and the jury was two cooks from the ship. Of course, without being anything exceptional, it is quite entertaining. Next there would be a test for the little ones but I didn't stay.

IMG20240627120222.thumb.jpg.5b57b415efea8dbe5ae4630b8e5afd94.jpg

My sister told us that she was at the pool on 16. We went there. They were in a jacuzzi.

Everything was full of towels. I asked her where she had left hers. There were no sun loungers so she had left them in a corner, the only possible option.

We spent quite some time in the jacuzzis and... my sister and brother-in-law soon left and left my little nephews with us. It was a time they had to go around alone so we were there playing with the two little ones of the house between bubbles.

A long time later my brother came. I saw my parents too, dropped off their young grandchildren (my daughters were absolutely missing) and went to try more water slides.

I think I said it. The water slides pleasantly surprised me. They are very well designed.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

I opted to take the MSC Rome excursion  with Hop On Hop Off bus tickets. I know it costs more but the excursion takes the stress out of all the planning.

Hello

I considered using the train and then the tour bus for the whole family. I didn't like it because of the route that all the hoho bus companies do.

All routes are almost the same and
- they have a stop in Piazza Spagna
- they have a stop at the Colosseum
- they have a stop in Piazza Venezia

but
- They leave you 700m from the Trevi Fountain
- they leave you 850m from the Pantheon (in Piazza Venezia)
- they leave you 700m from the Vatican

and if you want to visit Piazza Navona, the distance would be greater.

If you choose a point of origin and a destination, you just have to plan which section you will do on foot, which section by metro and which section by taxi.
Only with the time you gain by not having to wait for the bus will it go much further. And it's not stressful. You take the monuments noted and ask for a taxi from one to the other

If you tell how much you usually walk on a day of excursions and what preferences you have, I will make you a route suggestion

While at the pool I see the hassle involved in ordering something at bars. It was not defined where to queue because there was a very long line. They were short of personnel. It was sailing day and we were all at the pool bars. This has clearly been one of the cruise's failures.

The funny thing is that I didn't want to argue with anyone, I left without having ordered any drink and... at the next bar I was able to order it without waiting in line. I think poorly managed.

At lunchtime I also miss out on going to the main restaurant. I had had a late breakfast and, during the times when it was open, I wasn't hungry at all.

We all went outside to the buffet on the 7th floor. The area that overlooks the sea. As we are sailing west, one side of the ship faces south and is very sunny. The other faces north and has shade. We chose that one because it's starting to get hot.

At the buffet, point out that today there were prawns (large but I don't know how they had cooked them, they barely tasted like anything. It will be a matter of custom) and every day they offer some different meat. Today they have roast pork that they are cutting to serve. It is very well made as well as its accompaniments.

Although I wasn't there, these are the breakfast and lunch menus.

Desayuno D6 Navegación.pdf

Comida D6 Navegación.pdf

I rest somewhat after eating and my father tells us that he had booked a photographer for a photo session of the entire family. It was the gala day and we had dressed up. The photographer took us through some stairs of the Piazza, Atrium and also some exteriors. It caught my attention that there were waiters who noticed that I was taking photos to limit the area and not bother us (the same waiters who were later missing in the bars, for some things such good service, for others, so slow).

At this time the crew showed up. There were very few people watching it, considering that they only did it at that time (and then two photo sessions with whoever wanted). For any party there would be many more people in the Atrium.

I only saw the beginning because we had the photo session booked for the whole group. We wanted a souvenir picture of the cruise

IMG20240627194900.thumb.jpg.befc8c6015193440eb3beb99de8a5b57.jpg

IMG20240627194907.thumb.jpg.121cd035601afe68a87c431c6eae16bc.jpg

And from the photos, we went directly to dinner.

• Like 1

Let's go with the gala dinner.

IMG20240627200300.thumb.jpg.0e4dcb0117c5c57a665f47118fe2ff72.jpg

I was surprised to see what people mean by "stylish clothes." I was wearing a suit and tie. I almost, almost, almost never wear a tie but I wanted to wear it.

Ok, it's not necessary to wear it if you don't want to..... but surely you have something in your closet more elegant than those shorts!!!

This was the menu

Cena D6 Navegación.pdf

As a starter I ordered
French-style baked snails in butter puff pastry
Bordeaux wine sauce

IMG20240627194253.thumb.jpg.a9ba9f698dc01711b54746a3eeb4ae0a.jpg

and I don't recommend it. They are not snails in their shell as I expected, but chopped snails inside a puff pastry.

Yes... it tasted like snails but it didn't convince me.

Several of my relatives ordered the seafood cocktail and they really liked it. I should have ordered that or the lobster bisque

for main course I ordered
Orange duck in bigarade sauce
potato croquettes and braised red cabbage julienne with apple

IMG20240627195538.thumb.jpg.313fc96f5ee1843de4a58267413ef5a1.jpg

and it was a success. It was well cooked

and for dessert I ordered
Baked Alaska
sponge cake, layers of ice cream, caramelized meringue.

• Like 1

After dinner I take the opportunity to go to the Venchi bar again. I like the music they play at those hours. It's little, it's simple, but you have a pleasant time.

IMG20240627220934.thumb.jpg.bacbc4282e16caee1b33ac073dd747a5.jpg

We go to the theater at the usual time. A music show in which, at the end, everyone comes out to perform.

IMG20240627224941.thumb.jpg.bc9030d802f2db123a09ee411e78d4aa.jpg

IMG20240627230426.thumb.jpg.63c4e16cd6c2bfed95fe9b4b43a481ec.jpg

And after the theater, back to the pool on 7. We liked that terrace. Not only because it is very comfortable, there are also two bars next to it to order drinks and you can see people passing by.
Tonight is the "Silent Party". Those who want it have asked for headphones and the music, instead of being through speakers, is through headphones. I'm not wearing any clothes and I like the plan... on the one hand, it allows me to talk to my tablemates. On the other hand, it is curious but you can hear them singing or humming songs. Guess what they are listening to

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

and we arrive at

Day7 Palma

After a day of sailing we arrived at the Balearic Islands, the last stopover before returning to Barcelona.

It is an island that I already knew and we took the opportunity to go to a quiet area on a historic train.

The island of Mallorca is quite flat in its extension except to the north, which has a mountain range and isolates it from the ports. The train was planned to be able to travel there.

Palma has a cathedral with a curiosity that very few have: it was built to welcome those who came by boat. Think about how many port calls you have made, how many had a cathedral and how many have the cathedral in the same port. The usual thing is that they are in the old town.

IMG20240628081909.thumb.jpg.70de63e1ebbb386940c9c84d8677e9d1.jpg

They will be very close to the port, but not in the same port. They will be a few blocks from the sea, but not next to the sea.

Here you can see what Palma Cathedral looks like from the boat. It was what they intended many centuries ago, that approaching ships could see it.

IMG20240628095549.thumb.jpg.a564cbce5346d95a0edc8a974ed35eb8.jpg

This was the route I took that day

palma2.jpg.dfc9f6f9ea83a6fcbffd5eeacf748240.jpg

moving around Palma

palma3.jpg.f90fe692631a7e70ef29511638661bc3.jpg

and moving to Soller, on the other side of the mountains

palma3.jpg.f90fe692631a7e70ef29511638661bc3.jpg

and this was small information about Palma by MSC

palma1.jpg.6852b46eb21baccad471aeafaddbc40f.jpg

palma4.jpg

Edited by alserrod
  • Thanks 1

I think the Palma port arrival is the latest. We arrived at nine in the morning. Over the public address system I heard the welcome to Palma and instructions that we had arrived.

It was one of the few things I heard over the public address system throughout the cruise. Yes, I remember the one in Rome but not so much the rest. The information is shown through screens rather than through public address systems.

It was an incredibly sunny day. From the pool on 18 you could see Palma Cathedral and we wanted it to be a quiet day.

We weren't all going to go. My parents had been on this island just a few months ago. My sister has come many times for work and has taken the opportunity to visit her several times with her family.

My family and I had been on vacation a few years ago but I didn't mind returning to the island. My brother, for her part, had never been and wanted to meet her.

We had thought that a taxi would drop us off next to the cathedral, walk through the center of Palma and go to the station to take the historic train that would take us to spend the day in the north of the island.

Palma, excursion
Budget: about 42 euros/adult

The language question that I always ask when starting the excursion to each port: How is your Spanish?

Come on!!!, you have to learn a little bit.

Today's excursion was going to consist of walking across Palma and then going by train to the north of the island. It is a fairly exclusive tourism area. It always has been and it can be seen in the modernism that exists in the streets of those old houses (and also in the price of some new chalets).

I would have liked to rent a car and visit some mountain towns that I didn't know. It will have to be left for another time. Do you know that there is a monastery where Frederic Chopin stayed looking for a warm place to recover? He will not have a good memory because it was a doctor from Mallorca who diagnosed him with his lethal disease: tuberculosis. However, in the few months that he was there he composed some of his works in Mallorca. Well... that's for another time.

The area where we were going is Soller. It is an area that already at the beginning of the 20th century had a lot of money and they built a small railway to communicate with Palma. And they also made a tram to connect the town with the port. Both were electric. It was very unusual for Spain to have an electric railway at that time.

It was not the only line that was built on the island of Mallorca. A century later, many of the lines have been converted into a suburban railway network and even a subway.

However, the Soller train remains a historic railway. A company bought it with its entire route and operates it as a tourist train with some passenger cars and a route that is more than a century old. I know that it still works as transportation as well. The inhabitants of Soller can get an annual pass to use it (the train is not worth it because it is very slow but the tram may interest them).

The station is the same as when it opened in 1920, as are the tracks. The only thing, it no longer has intermediate stations except for one used to cross trains (Buñola station).

The train moves at 30-35 km/h (19-22 mph) only. The first half is a very flat stretch where, except for seeing some fruit trees in the steppe of Mallorca, there is little of interest.

IMG20240628140131.thumb.jpg.c59f4a11aed39a6d6ad6422abbc62813.jpg

But it is after the stop in Buñola where the beauty begins. Several tunnels begin in a row. You gain a little height and have to cross the mountain range. There is a 3 km tunnel and it takes more than five minutes to go through.

As soon as the train passes through the tunnel it has to descend rapidly. There is a moment in which we will see Soller and from there you have to make an S to descend altitude and reach your station.

That was the route we took. We arrived at the historic Soller station and looked for a place to eat.

Later we visited the modernist parish there and took the historic tram that took us to the port.

The port is very, very beautiful and the tram runs along the maritime area to drop us off at the end. It has several established stops along its more than 5km route. Almost everyone takes it from start to finish but you can take an intermediate route if you wish. It runs every 30 minutes.

On these dates the number of travelers is such that two trams operate in parallel. It's funny because there is a point where they have to cross the trams that are coming in front of them and... the two trams have to get together on a track and wait.

Unfortunately in Puerto de Soller we didn't have much time to walk. The photos are idyllic and we had an ice cream on the beach.

We return to Soller, arrive at its station with the tram and change to the train. The two means of transport are managed by the same company and the ticket is a joint ticket. Already on the train we were tired from the day and the heat, we waited until we were in Palma to take a taxi and get to the boat.

• Like 2

Some practical questions about the Soller excursion and some more information

We wanted to walk through the center of Palma. My brother and his family didn't know the city so I thought that if we started next to the cathedral and walked to the station (about 20 minutes) they would see some of the city.
It was a right decision.

To go from the port to the cathedral
- Option 1. MSC bus. He picks you up at the foot of the boat. Round trip cost: 14 euros/person
- Option 2. Bus from Palma. Line 2 runs every 15 minutes. You have to leave the maritime terminal and the stop is there. Cost: 3 euros (6 euros/person.)
- Option 3. Taxi. You have to leave the maritime terminal. A taxi cost us 14 euros (3.5 euros/person) between the port and the cathedral with all supplements.

We use option 3 for the round trip.

As I indicated, we purposely went to the cathedral to walk from there. If we had wanted to go to the station, line 2 would take us directly (it is its last stop) for the same price, the taxi would take us for about 18 euros and the MSC bus does not solve it.

To keep in mind...taxi+train+tram+taxi we paid about 40 euros/person (and 2 euros for an additional visit).

MSC sells this excursion for 92 euros where
- they take you by bus from the boat to the station
- They explain everything to you, they give you tickets and you go to Soller to visit it and return.
Yes, there will be a guide to accompany you but on the train you will sit where you can and he will not be able to explain anything

It cost me 40 for the same thing

If you have visited the Gothic quarter of Barcelona, the center of Palma looks very similar. They are from the same era. Medieval cities that had their splendor based on the ports they had. The old area we crossed had its charm. I wish I could have done a longer route.

We buy the tickets. 32.5 euros round trip by train and tram. The single train ticket is 20 euros and the tram ticket is 9 euros (double for the return price) and we went to have a coffee to wait for him.

The train arrived on time, we sat down and the journey began. There were many people on the train. As I said, the beginning is boring but the final stretch is very beautiful. Soller is an isolated town in the mountains and they built a small train with a 3km tunnel to get to Palma.

When we arrived in Soller we walked around and looked for a place to eat. We arrived at 2:30 p.m. and started considering restaurants. We chose one that had a crowded terrace in the main square and the waiter offered us an interior patio that was empty.

Why was it empty? The usual time to eat in Spain is 2:00 p.m. (yes, remember it on your trips... you eat lunch and dinner much later). However, all the clients from other countries had gone before and had already finished. Consequently, the restaurant was still open and had an interior patio just for us.

We ordered several dishes. In my case it was... rice with lobster which was spectacular. My brother and I were there with the rest of our families enjoying the food in Soller.

For those who want "Restaurante La Vila". Just in front of the main church of Soller.

We took a little walk, we visited the church inside. It's quite big. We were short on time and I wish there was a guided tour. There were many details to notice.

we took the tram to Puerto de Soller. It seems like a beautiful corner to me. It's the second time I go there. If you have had time, at the foot of the tram there is a beach where you can swim.

This area has a mix of coves and beaches of Mallorca, incredible sunsets and towns embedded in the mountains to explore in peace. These bucolic mountain towns near the sea are very close to Soller.

IMG20240628172004.thumb.jpg.084274253c29a5df09dd9e13deef4d28.jpg

On its promenade we ordered an ice cream with which to pass the great heat we were having and we took the opportunity to take some photos.

Time to return. You had to do the route in reverse. We waited for the tram that took us to Soller along the same route. By the way, there were lemon and orange trees a few meters from the road. A beautiful environment.

And from Soller, the train back to Palma that climbs the mountains, goes through tunnels and continues through the steppe of Mallorca.

Finally a taxi and we were late for the ship's dinner. We had to go to the buffet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some pictures from Mallorca

This is the cathedral

It is not easy to photograph the facade because there is a royal palace right in front. There is not much space

AP1GczOomtYBueXISLBduAmAMzhwV83v1EZoEy5gJfhAlPOk7gkSx7GSIuBPkx4te6nt-elQTIdNrZpQpCTGg9IzyaWxU7cD4b5aldYvLoIyOu6mAOce7o8S4BcqzJbgI7j0Ew0IMqr1EIBdFzrJXKmXAARXVA=w1470-h661-s-no-gm?authuser=0

Palma town hall

AP1GczOEzv1Kp3Ty-ZriaA8LZc6tSvABmFU_0chv0O79mxkgVIO8euzDxcjYmxpltaZ3-DsB3D1C8gFK4vNoXz6p0IXEJ0uHmPyU76VAu-l-b38qB2moQt6e_RDezt3j2ZYXYA6RNFpDqTAXr_T23JI5SVMO2A=w1470-h661-s-no-gm?authuser=0

Palma Major square

AP1GczPj-Rzsw7awCM5AlDVnmLUrIiZEFZBFiFccJ1JPnw76CgWmM5i9dzOHgVvYIvQsfCDTD1G1QL1SOTfOJZ925LKQ71ZrzJSpIPGZX9LTk43vhpfCCF_VbJLRF3XdvSyVncSRBALX9NNqagoPt_MJufMFQg=w1470-h661-s-no-gm?authuser=0

AP1GczPj-Rzsw7awCM5AlDVnmLUrIiZEFZBFiFccJ1JPnw76CgWmM5i9dzOHgVvYIvQsfCDTD1G1QL1SOTfOJZ925LKQ71ZrzJSpIPGZX9LTk43vhpfCCF_VbJLRF3XdvSyVncSRBALX9NNqagoPt_MJufMFQg=w1470-h661-s-no-gm?authuser=0

Wandering in Downtown

AP1GczNQSlLzA5pp206rzQ4T3T_g8TEEnZkQT9IcINk47hQE9RhFl0AZvn15iZmLnPROLrOXXdQOfpCHNJUB8yPoWD8kJ9XPlQVRJ1i83i_6v_y-BGkEL8VXlt74fyMQC0GSY3xBsHu5yoQ-TYdBXf56KhB5Ag=w391-h869-s-no-gm?authuser=0

• Like 2

En route to Soller

This was the "boring" side of the journey

AP1GczN8yExQSYmb0AARAW5scva8Yz8U2OjjAUfZDCyOrxJwe52_jcf16bdfAZpzzGhfCJopgZcfJKZvC3Be9nLyOW-GezF6XXFAIO_u5VfeblxOp0Kqk33i5bgdVig3JamO_FkHgk8CDLahUGmSTkzBQq7iow=w391-h869-s-no-gm?authuser=0

After main tunnel, Soller is seen from ahead

AP1GczP36OWrFlXEFUF10ZLlZ01gN-XfLdw_kZqReYC_jrRvUCkz1HEOEJz1aY_E-9y5sScqS3Q5rgR6XeTNizIjssLzxM3JV8rCY9NilYAzNTwdi8tTvVvXe-omR_89tkmqYEp-68gVvhy5clMa8wYAMYiKyg=w1470-h661-s-no-gm?authuser=0

Arriving to Soller station. All trains are heritage ones

AP1GczPUW8YzX7DKIfHFRkU03mbqdBeKBd0TGZ8-jKu7lgmPeVv1jgg7dADoLU0DyXtsyoFcYEexEkHGUYrTpr7J15iBbpEXuJDYqtKctwN4QdLkZXUgKxaFNn1C1NKOzTqZ6ZRqT0HDB6d8v9O7RZGm8D8FAw=w1470-h661-s-no-gm?authuser=0

One corner in major square in Soller.

It is a bank office

AP1GczOtbxl8ZrkJOI7uM-1MGwz2bNhDd_JGQcgzqtwUE8XGOVbUk1iZBgpNP-mxTr4Og2hjreGNSOAmi9Fzlg8Rhv9cAWZcvlFzM3yZJnB4R2yJhPunns7Q_5qFqrE-MTJ72_8aHzcWNtj3yw7LMKVbfmB5Iw=w1470-h661-s-no-gm?authuser=0

This is Soller church (this picture is not mine)

Soller, 5 visitas que no te puedes perder | Tren de Sóller

• Like 2

Time for lunch

We had lunch in this courtyard

It was still a normal time for lunch in Spain, we were absolutely alone here

AP1GczPD1bPDOqPcXPuC6m8qIi3SjlYRaLSrgEdNuCpyT68ASQVD3hspt4ctx_Oll5Vc8ktqVkaVxsc64rahsCPEN7obwsFa2xSu9HoIZPgI9oaozJktI9ZXXLVbpA9MwOjCmzNgkXFII17iDuvTQ0VI1eRhtw=w1470-h661-s-no-gm?authuser=0

pasta with prawns

AP1GczPHD6aRN8Y67MWGp4hj4065Wp5XHPOH8aYjXlBhLM-uB-jxLwerqCJpPKe0H8xE1Cm8j5Hg-I9enLkJpR5dbxsTU0Z8RfhIfC1rbB3JZ6XFcZ_m8_r3xkzMO6k2VQVfcJPRVsJTP1W9MXnMD3fNS5R9Ng=w651-h869-s-no-gm?authuser=0

not bad, this was my option for lunch in Soller

Rice with lobster

AP1GczO9WqZBDSHkgluwb2ZDYJ6vO1gS70qi_0MA2kBBewimoRfVs36TS9H8lqnECMISyOxC3O3UBfINW51xsbTNS4vauzxf1CnP9KhtzZa51J3a7sn90ea49wM4OiD_QfDwSruE6J2yWI7GUsAA-zcgR0oXjA=w1470-h661-s-no-gm?authuser=0

• Like 1

Let's go to Port de Soller

From the tramway

AP1GczNzAHeSZCkwQGGVZPIcw94l67wq2I8yflNoJlcqoZYRGcTc9AnB6mEjQCg9QHxloInLnUK5OYqplGr23Urb-32a1IjKTZXkLGFoPmm9RBSUyVyPYwdwn14drzWeoyRwpVBHuhSIV_JWGkA6N4ej4lBfLQ=w391-h869-s-no-gm?authuser=0

Port de Soller

AP1GczN6QY6LcHtKN7wTBZjPof-4jxeu69kRezebEkV_X7uHWVoea2_8BsIN0sW6S8ODjEL3d8fAD7o3aXCkaYFYtfy0PZ72MJnnnuVr3gtWRfWEzL5jbhOAu8gZAgwpzwxDsiCv8eAuTy2NLmADI2uy8JnNnQ=w1470-h828-s-no-gm?authuser=0

AP1GczNZ6DchgF_3t-Qca1QR5iZkcrjm_ZZ096eVv1Q5nASovWuvWXRge5WBZvikS1_7d_SJT3a_wEXbBjPBUTAzEAf8Hdh29ISu4lo8fG01RLnqpXbgbpPFIVRKa5QawSRIZd4ksVWFB9RAg9V-9FAYiP5Ohw=w1470-h661-s-no-gm?authuser=0

AP1GczN4Q59fN1YyUcc04y44U_5TU4hqcYtSVZjeqx4vjDx3ydtEl7ft0cYisqgL741Fw7bZQWMQccrMcmhnSWV6mL5fLma66LDrBWNnaXzFJcjtw8u9AJRCMTzaWjX80nRU0wOtBMpnKhzGOiLZdb4ax0SG-w=w1470-h828-s-no-gm?authuser=0

AP1GczOzbswGRAI5OQtuFTpAMGKbTPG7ILAxWOCU47OIgscf0ARrid84pZPFWCUnSvNvItO24v7-8rcKHqirTiK3P1tJ21UuyrdeQKh5Xn3NxTDiQh8bOThV-QvjvpyW-BDBFtd58_YhjrQxiBx6OeU7M2IYuw=w1470-h661-s-no-gm?authuser=0

Tramway terminus

AP1GczOq8lvC4w13mdcp3v-mENzi_UyAvKpk_GKQlfHdcEm-HegJZPTbMYVKJMAbzLuQsA9ccBEirwMVsl-o0zM_bSwTVeDS2uQqGYgehWGTnFMNZIw7uXwCX2wVGfaWjDlxW_7p0NYazPHKhzlMxWkwBp1UfQ=w391-h869-s-no-gm?authuser=0

AP1GczPojajKt2NgVfGLedG3kXAXBulZWlB7Om5XMKa6Z_inMMy36DQwBcEqnZodqGvmSHT89D2n1KftpeGzB8xxl1R4fkJPZB4y-cjF3zAGESzLaiT_LtgEGZQ1pkOBxZTbLvual31HyRAuM9_7m3uBsNV7fA=w391-h869-s-no-gm?authuser=0

AP1GczNCdUxIb_tvBaqFbQZuhF2VK2tF-5MXtr9RrapFYW59xqSwM8759fVfXas4ngxxvCiB-FeZ-TH6X4T0pmU6X4iUG8LbcnyT3d6_0HvKSdYIglTU9bG--zimG2X3lbDBV--H_ahkPaXiGEd0vhfOE7xPXg=w1470-h661-s-no-gm?authuser=0

and back to Soller (this picture is mine), the church ahead

AP1GczPf09rfOGkIQXhnG5CYeXYstOfUbHu72uZmwi7LeBX0oPDuPY4_bL03VFQv3U574QfU2uIkqby13vkpZIv7JJbaKBLwXw8Mtvv-iluMNkPVaNPICYXl1soyCdCowlamkkKJr-Lj4ZbNttIip_F_lVrtgQ=w391-h869-s-no-gm?authuser=0

• Like 1

I have told you about the excursion in a "summary" way and without any setbacks.

Now I take this opportunity to tell what really happened...

We arrived by taxi to the center of Palma, saw the cathedral and walked through the center without any problem. We arrived at the station and bought the tickets. It was 11:30 and we had enough time. We went to have a coffee at a bar that was nearby and where we could all sit.

Around 12:15 I told everyone that we had to go to the station, that the train would leave soon.

The station was next door. We arrived around 12:20, a few minutes passed and I was surprised that there were almost no people.

I took the bills out of my pocket and went white. My family saw me and asked me what was happening. I told them that we had made a mistake... that the train did not leave at 12:30 as we thought but had already left at 12:15.

Both on the ticket and in the FAQ it was very clear that schedules were not adjusted in case of missing the train (https://trendesoller.com/eng/faqs). Did that mean we had to buy other tickets?

They were not cheap at all

My daughters later told me that they thought I was having a heart attack because I was so scared.

My brother reacted, asked me for the tickets and told me that he was going to the ticket office but that he was going alone, that no one should come with him.

He went to try to convince the ticket agent to see what could be done. Yes, we had lost it and the conditions were very clear but it could be fixed somehow.

And I assure you that in these situations, and when it is very clear on the ticket and they have it posted on a sign in several languages (they just have to point it out for it to be considered an answer), speaking the local language is very, very, very useful. . Very much.

I don't know how my brother did it but he came back with some bills where they had corrected everything with a pen. Even the return time so that it would give us more time to see Soller.
Solved!!!!!

We arrived in Soller, we saw the town and ate where I indicated.

We went to take the tram. They passed every 30 minutes. As there were many travelers, two in a row passed by. The first with four passenger cars and the second with two cars.

For whatever reason, the second one was prettier.

My brother suggested that we skip the first one and take the second tram because it was nicer. Well, we go to the first stop, the first tram comes, a lot of people get on and it starts. We stay on the ground. Two minutes later, the second tram arrives, whistles, people move aside and pass by without stopping.

We lose it.

We found out that, since they make intermediate stops, the normal thing is that the first one leaves Soller full and direct to Puerto de Soller and the second makes all the intermediate stops.

Since people had gotten on the first one, they passed by here.

The stupid look on our faces when we saw him walk past... you can imagine it.

We arrived in Puerto de Soller and we only had 30 minutes for photos and an ice cream. We had to take the 6:00 p.m. tram, arrive in Soller at 6:30 p.m. and take the train to Palma at the same time, which arrived at 7:30 p.m.

Taking the train in Soller was not a problem because as it is a combined ticket, the train waits for tram travelers.

We were on the train to Palma and I was doing the math.... we arrived at 7:30 p.m., two taxis and straight to the boat. More or less we would be on the boat at 7:50 p.m., just enough time to get ready quickly and go to dinner.

Then I thought that this was the tropical night... that if we went with the pints we'd had all day, nothing would happen either, just straight to dinner.

We arrived at the indicated time in Palma, okay, everything was correct. We left the station to order two taxis and the streets were closed.

That day there was a parade because it was LGTBI pride day in Palma.

I had counted on many things and inconveniences but that was left out of my calculations.

I asked a police officer where we could get a taxi. He told me that from where traffic was open.

We went there and there were no taxis in the area. The few that passed were busy.

After 15 minutes of talking we got them to answer the phone to say that... there were no free taxis in our area. We opted to walk to the cathedral and take the two taxis from there.

We arrived at the ship at 8:40 p.m. Obviously we couldn't dine in the restaurant anymore and it had to be at the buffet

Luckily that day the "all aboard" is at 10:30 p.m. If not... I think I'll have a heart attack!!!

• Like 1

We returned to the ship and this time....there were only two card checks.

One upon entering the terminal from the port. Just knowing that we were carrying it. Another inside the ship along with the luggage scanner. They did not ask us for the card at any point in the port.

We didn't make it to the restaurant. We went straight to the buffet. Shortly after, my sister and parents came. We told them about the adventures of the entire day, which had not been few.

The buffet dinner wasn't bad and I know that the first dish I ordered was the same one that was in the restaurant that night because I had downloaded the menu.

For those who want the restaurant menus, breakfast, lunch and dinner, these were

Desayuno D7 Palma.pdf

Comida D7 Palma.pdf

Cena D7 Palma.pdf

At the end of dinner, I went to the cabin, showered and got something ready, what a full day we had had.

My wife said she was packing her bags and resting a little more. I said I wanted to go see the latest theater show. It was really good. It wasn't the best but I always found them entertaining.

IMG20240628230414.thumb.jpg.9fb5c7926c3b05e4da28b8b9926ec943.jpg

IMG20240628224900.thumb.jpg.3645a50ba136d0b4a6c92e378b0d6a2f.jpg

I went back to the room. My daughters and my wife had enough already done. We had said that we would put all our luggage in whatever suitcase (instead of each person having their own) and that we would separate it at home. In short, many things would go in the washing machine together...

Since they already had work, I told them that I was going to reception to get more stickers for the suitcases, as they had left us few. This is where my nightmare with reception began. I had had a very good impression until then.

First of all, I asked for more labels and for that there was no problem. Very fast. Well, it had taken a long time to be attended to, but once they were attended to it was quick.

The second thing is that they charge you one euro for a foundation for each passenger and if you don't want it, you have to say so at reception. I wasn't going to say it but since I was. Well, it wasn't about pressing a button. They had to print a cancellation for each charge there was, sign it, etc... That was very slow.

And thirdly, I asked him about the MSC Voyageurs program. I had not been able to register online. He told me that he would process it for me. Within minutes he gave me a new cruise card with the same information plus the traveler code and he asked me for the bracelet to link it to the new bracelet.

Everything is fine but I go up to the room, I go to open it and that doesn't work. I knock and no one answers (my wife was in the shower and she couldn't hear me). I go down to reception, I tell them the problem and they tell me that there will be a person to open the door for me.

I go up, wait a while (which seems very long) and a person comes to open my cabin. He asks me for the card, checks it and tells me it doesn't work, so I should tell the reception.

I go down to reception again (every time I went down I had to wait a while because of the line), I tell them about the card and they tell me that the problem is that the door opening system fails and that all the cards they are activating do not work for a while. That when it is solved they will all work automatically and that in the meantime they will open my cabin as many times as I want.

I ask if it can be used to pay for the drinks and they tell me that they can do that without any problems.

I go unconvinced towards the elevators and as I pass in front of the counter of a bar that is already closing I ask them to check it for me. They are surprised and I tell them that I don't want any drinks, just to check that it is activated on their tablet. They pass it to me and tell me yes, no problems.

I go up to the cabin and this time my wife opens it for me. Almost everything is already collected. I put the labels on and we leave the cabin, leaving the suitcases outside... with the small detail that they have already taken the rest of the suitcases from the hallway.

We're going to have something. I agree with my brothers. We're tired but it's the last night so we're going to take a little walk around there. We have a cocktail and return to the cabin around 1:00, no later.

The suitcases are still at the door. I called reception to ask them to take them away. I don't know what time they would do it but in the morning they were gone.

My little daughter arrived almost immediately.

My oldest daughter... they partied at the disco all night. As I said, there were five institutes from five different places in Spain that coincided there as the final trip of the course. For them it was also the last day and since they said that the club was open as long as there were people, that night the DJ and the waiters worked many overtime hours. He arrived "quite early in the morning."

and with this the 7th ended

• Like 1

And the least expected day arrived. On Saturday we arrived in Barcelona and we also had to get up early but not to go on an excursion but to leave the ship.

One last shower, one last pick up everything in the room, one last...

I didn't see the cabin attendant. I couldn't say goodbye to him but I highlighted him in the review of the survey that MSC gave me.

Whatever we had as hand luggage we could take it to one of the restaurants and thus not have to carry it while we had breakfast.

I think we had to leave the cabin at eight and be at the meeting point at nine. At eight we were all having breakfast. Exterior area of the 7th floor and this is how we saw the port of Barcelona. It was about to rain. In fact, he rained on us along the way.

We were surprised that they were announcing that, due to rain, the next day's stopover in Cannes would be replaced by Marseille. It was like taking another turn and visiting a new city.

At nine we went to the meeting point. We had the number 10 stickers on our clothes and on our cruise cards (I still don't know why the latter). There was no one... we came to the conclusion that we were in the wrong place. Yes, it was at 9:00 for sure but we didn't know where. The sheet was in the cabin, we didn't have a copy and... there were no copies anywhere either. I asked at reception and by the time we got to the meeting point (it was in another bar), it turned out that everyone had already left.

IMG20240629075504.thumb.jpg.cbc04ef69e4a77b3c5cd5e8625e61bbb.jpg

Well... it was 9:15 and we had a train ticket for 12:00. The taxi barely took 15 minutes to make the trip. Having a little bit at the station plus another little bit to disembark, more... and leaving the ship at 10:30 was more than enough. What was clear is that it was better to wait on the boat than at the train station.

At that time my daughters fell asleep. I think... they had slept little in the previous dates. My parents and my sister said goodbye. They both had a car parked in the parking lot at the port of Barcelona and just getting off the boat and getting to the car was more than enough.

However, my brother had a flight at 5:00 p.m. Either they called him or his intention was to stay and eat on the boat. Being at the airport at 3:00 p.m. was enough (or leaving the ship at 3:00 p.m., I don't remember. It was a flight without passport control and it takes a 20-minute taxi ride) so they preferred after eating.

It was ten thirty and... I couldn't find my black bag. Inside I had my sunglasses and something. I think I left it where I had breakfast. I ran and he wasn't there. They told me to consult the reception. I went down, described him and they told me they were looking for him.

One last view to the Atrium

IMG20240629091256.thumb.jpg.367d7ed5380123cdbc7114843a1c9f63.jpg

Yes, they had it but it took them a long time to bring it to me.

Finally the four of us disembarked. We pass the card through the control and begin to take the exit ramp. As with the entrance, in Barcelona you disembark on the 6th floor and then there are ramps and escalators to go down.

As we were on one of the port's walkways, my little daughter received a call. They were from the port of Barcelona saying they had our luggage. There was almost nothing left to pick up and they were calling all the passengers. She told him we would be there in a minute (which was true). They no longer called the rest of the reserve.

Sure enough, in one minute we were in the luggage area. They were stacked according to the number they had given us on the label. There were very few left. We took ours and said we were missing a suitcase. They asked us what it was like and... they had it in a different place because the label had fallen off. In half a minute we already had everything. The distance to the taxi rank is very short and we hardly had to wait in line to get a taxi to take us to the station.

We arrived more than half an hour early at Barcelona Sants station. We wait seated. They opened the ticket control and a very long line formed. We continue sitting waiting. Someday I will understand how people want to wait in line. If the train leaves at 12:00, and they open at 11:30... it is not necessary to go right then and even less so if the line is very long. The train will not leave before 12:00 and the seats are numbered. I think we went to the line at 11:50 (we were looking at photos in the seats until then), we went through ticket control, down the stairs and straight to the train.

As soon as we left Barcelona it started to rain. My brother sent us a photo of his last Piña Colada aboard the ship. He was still there.

The train ride was very calm. We arrived at our city and, with a short bus ride, we were at our house.

It was time to eat but this time there was no buffet

Barcelona Sants station

IMG20240629114337.thumb.jpg.79e19358b99cecf12df7f7f170da3a80.jpg

Inside the train

IMG20240629114836.thumb.jpg.a05b82738d6d896916b5ca45d4442467.jpg

Zaragoza Delicias station

IMG20240629134601.thumb.jpg.1e0e6e0e2cc127d52c39e0316791330b.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

MSC Seaview DAILY BOARD

Day1, Barcelona

Day1 Barcelona - diario de a bordo.pdf

Day2, Cannes

Day2 Cannes - Diario de a bordo.pdf

Day3, Genova

Day3 Genova - Diario de a bordo.pdf

Day4, La Spezia

Day4 La Spezia - Diario de a bordo.pdf

Day5, Civitavecchia

Day5 Civitavecchia - Diario de a bordo.pdf

Day6, at Sea

Day6 Navegación - Diario de a bordo.pdf

Day7, Palma

Day7 Palma - Diario de a bordo.pdf

Edited by alserrod
  • Thanks 2

MSC Seaview, Breakfast and Lunch menus on restaurant

BREAKFAST

Desayuno D1 Barcelona.pdf

(It is every day the same menu)

LUNCH

Day1, Barcelona

Comida D1 Barcelona.pdf

Day2, Cannes

Comida D2 Cannes.pdf

Day3, Genova

Comida D3 Genova.pdf

Day4, La Spezia

Comida D4 La Spezia.pdf

Day5, Civitavecchia

Comida D5 Civitavecchia.pdf

Day6, at Sea

Comida D6 Navegación.pdf

Day7, Palma

Comida D7 Palma.pdf

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

MSC Seaview, Dinner menus on restaurant

(All menus aren't in English but I have tried and it is easy and possible to translate them with Google translator)

Day1, Barcelona (casual)

Cena D1 Barcelona.pdf

Day2, Cannes (casual)

Cena D2 Cannes.pdf

Day3, Genova (white)

Cena D3 Genova.pdf

Day4, La Spezia (casual)

Cena D4 La Spezia.pdf

Day5, Civitavecchia (fancy)

Cena D5 Civitavecchia.pdf

Day6, at Sea  (elegant)

Cena D6 Navegación.pdf

Day7, Palma  (tropical)

Cena D7 Palma.pdf

Edited by alserrod
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

MSC Seaview Bar menus

This is main bar menus

2024 Bebidas - carta genérica .pdf

and some bars can have their own menu (with less drinks or some special drinks. For example, Venchi with coffee and chocolate, Sports bar with beer, Champagne bar with... champagne, etc...)

Venchi bar

2024 Bebidas - Vencchi bar.pdf

Pool bar

2024 Bebidas - Pool bar.pdf

Sports bar

2024 Bebidas - Sports bar.pdf

Panorama bar

2024 Bebidas - Panorama bar.pdf

Seaside bar

2024 Bebidas - Seaside bar.pdf

Champagne bar

2024 Bebidas - Champagne bar.pdf

Bar at buffet

2024 Bebidas - Bar Buffet.pdf

Bar at Atrium

2024 Bebidas - Atrium Bar.pdf

Edited by alserrod
  • Thanks 2

And that's where those cruise adventures end. What started with the desire to celebrate my parents' golden anniversary (50 years of marriage) with all the children and grandchildren.

A cruise reservation more than a year in advance where the requirements were
- departure on Saturday from Barcelona
- visit Rome

and the only ship of all the companies that complied with it was MSC Seaview

For almost a year I have been asking you many questions, both about excursions and how the boat works.

It has been very useful for me to have so much information to plan the day. My relatives already knew that I had searched for everything and did nothing but ask me. Even more things than I could answer (sometimes I told them to call 99 while laughing).

A week of excursions where I think the only "normal excursion day" was.... navigation. It started to rain, we wanted to go to two different places, we got lost at the disembarkation, we missed the train, we got lost in the Roman forum, etc... What could NOT happen if so many of us went together?

I will answer all the questions you have. As helpful as receiving answers was for me, I hope it will be helpful for everyone else. Simply when writing, quote me (@alserrod) so that I can receive notice and I will visit it.

In a year, on this forum, I have seen few reviews about cruises in the Mediterranean. Looking at the boat, very little difference with the rest of MSC. In fact, the crew spends six months in the Mediterranean and six months in Brazil and I don't know if they ever realize which continent they are on.

However, I hope that (in addition to menus and activities to do) the port information is useful.

As you can see, in some we took a ride that was completely free and in others it cost us a higher price. The important thing is to take ideas of what you can do and remember that the boat excursion is not always the best.

Thank you very much for reading me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2024 at 12:41 PM, alserrod said:

In the meantime, review the current network, also consider tram and bus, and plan your route.
It does not have to be as short as possible in a straight line. It's about maximizing seeing everything and... I assure you that you will walk a lot

Actually when reading this forum it almost seems most of the people are either over 80 years old or disabled 😄

It is not a big thing to do a walking tour from Termini to Colisseum, Forum Romanum, Vatical City, Pantheon, Fontana di Trevi, Piazza di Spagna. Just 10 km altogether. Of cause things a different for a big group with very small kids and very old folks, but normally ...

• Like 1