Price Increase for Solo Travelers with New Pricing Format

Yes price has increased for solo cruisers due to paying double the required cruise fees.  My 14 day Hawaii from Long Beach I was eyeballing for 2025 is now $127 more expensive than before July 1st.  That is total cost with all taxes and fees.  I hope the post saying JH said it is a glitch is correct.  But I have also heard an answer given was "That's just the way it is now."  I just want a clear explanation from Carnival.

The banner notification on their website is not true for solo cruisers.  Total price has changed.

image.png.28b6fc075779a646753c19493e258fe3.png

19 hours ago, kevjulcass said:

Yes price has increased for solo cruisers due to paying double the required cruise fees.  My 14 day Hawaii from Long Beach I was eyeballing for 2025 is now $127 more expensive than before July 1st.  That is total cost with all taxes and fees.  I hope the post saying JH said it is a glitch is correct.  But I have also heard an answer given was "That's just the way it is now."  I just want a clear explanation from Carnival.

The banner notification on their website is not true for solo cruisers.  Total price has changed.

You got one.

On 7/6/2024 at 1:49 AM, kevjulcass said:

Use a PVP.  Taxes and fees are not doubled for a solo.  The website was glitching.   Solos pay cruise fares as if two people, always have except in very, very, very rare situations.  

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Use a PVP.  Taxes and fees are not doubled for a solo.  The website was glitching.   Solos pay cruise fares as if two people, always have except in very, very, very rare situations.  

The newly created "required fees and expenses" category is indeed still double for a solo booker as of right now. If it was a glitch it still hasn't been repaired 7 days after the fact.

13 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

The newly created "required fees and expenses" category is indeed still double for a solo booker as of right now. If it was a glitch it still hasn't been repaired 7 days after the fact.

Still a glitch and I was not charged double for fees/taxes for my recent solo booking

• Like 1

Just now, Elaine5715 said:

Still a glitch and I was not charged double for fees/taxes for my recent solo booking

Well if one were to book online they would be charged more than before as of right now. The required cruise fees and expenses is still double. See my pics for Tampa 13 day cruise below and add it up. The solo cruiser is paying 80.94 more now than before July 1st due to the fees being doubled. This was not the case prior to July 1st. 

Screenshot 2024-07-07 10.23.22 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-07 10.22.26 AM.png

1 minute ago, n6uqqq said:

Well if one were to book online they would be charged more than before as of right now. The required cruise fees and expenses is still double. See my pics for Tampa 13 day cruise below and add it up. The solo cruiser is paying 80.94 more now than before July 1st due to the fees being doubled. This was not the case prior to July 1st. 

Screenshot 2024-07-07 10.23.22 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-07 10.22.26 AM.png

Not when you use a PVP

• Like 1

Just now, Elaine5715 said:

Not when you use a PVP

So the many who book online alone are being charged more than using a PVP? That doesn't sound too professional to me. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

So the many who book online alone are being charged more than using a PVP? That doesn't sound too professional to me. 

A PVP deals with those details.  

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

A PVP deals with those details.  

So I guess the only way to get the correct price now is with a PVP. My big box online travel agency is also charging the extra money for the required fees and expenses for a solo. And I think it would be fair to say that even through a PVP would charge extra unless it is specifically mentioned by the customer. Is Carnival going to go back to every booking and straighten out this pricing discrepancy? In 7 days I would guess hundreds if not thousands have probably booked cruises with the incorrect amount.

Edited by n6uqqq

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while and wondering if anyone has any update.  I checked Princess which also falls under Carnival corp and they are not charging double for solo required cruise fees.  A TA told me PVP can't help with this either.

image.png.78ccc4b41f81ecc411da2ae4869b2308.png

image.png.4ce9d7a4847929181367afc505ef3a59.png

On 7/7/2024 at 2:18 PM, n6uqqq said:

So I guess the only way to get the correct price now is with a PVP. My big box online travel agency is also charging the extra money for the required fees and expenses for a solo. And I think it would be fair to say that even through a PVP would charge extra unless it is specifically mentioned by the customer. Is Carnival going to go back to every booking and straighten out this pricing discrepancy? In 7 days I would guess hundreds if not thousands have probably booked cruises with the incorrect amount.

There is absolutely zero difference in price between a TA and PVP

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

There is absolutely zero difference in price between a TA and PVP

Fair enough. I have either booked alone, or alone and then big box travel agency takes over. I have never used a PVP from Carnival. I was addressing to Elaine who said her PVP got the price difference fixed with the new solo rate structure. You and I are mostly on the same page now. You did acknowledge the solo cost has gone up. That was my whole point. On some cruises the increase isn't too much and in others it can be substantial, longer Panama canal transit type for example. And I also agree with you it is a reaction to the new CA law despite the fact that changing the port fee and tax structure into two components wasn't mandated by this broad sweeping law. 

5 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

Fair enough. I have either booked alone, or alone and then big box travel agency takes over. I have never used a PVP from Carnival. I was addressing to Elaine who said her PVP got the price difference fixed with the new solo rate structure. You and I are mostly on the same page now. You did acknowledge the solo cost has gone up. That was my whole point. On some cruises the increase isn't too much and in others it can be substantial, longer Panama canal transit type for example. And I also agree with you it is a reaction to the new CA law despite the fact that changing the port fee and tax structure into two components wasn't mandated by this broad sweeping law. 

My point really was that Carnival does not do different pricing by types of booking (ie PVP, TA, online, Big Box etc).  Some can discount off of their discounted structure, but the price offered is the price.  At least that has been my experience.  In regards to singles and the active discussion on the add ons and whether it is more or less now, we have not booked a single for me to see it.  I have quoted some and see and understand the difference (as you said).  My gut tells me that it should come out in the wash, but I have neem wrong before (today even).  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Just now, jimbo5544 said:

My point really was that Carnival does not do different pricing by types of booking (ie PVP, TA, online, Big Box etc).  Some can discount off of their discounted structure, but the price offered is the price.  At least that has been my experience.  In regards to singles and the active discussion on the add ons and whether it is more or less now, we have not booked a single for me to see it.  I have quoted some and see and understand the difference (as you said).  My gut tells me that it should come out in the wash, but I have neem wrong before (today even).  Hope this helps.

I have heard that travel agents are not allowed to undercut Carnival on pricing and the only way to allow a lower price comes in the form of perks additional obc, gifts, etc. I either go alone or add with the agent depending on cruise length and potential benefit from switching over. Sometimes it is just easier to keep the booking under my control. 

1 hour ago, n6uqqq said:

I have heard that travel agents are not allowed to undercut Carnival on pricing and the only way to allow a lower price comes in the form of perks additional obc, gifts, etc. I either go alone or add with the agent depending on cruise length and potential benefit from switching over. Sometimes it is just easier to keep the booking under my control. 

IMHO they offer more expertise than pricing (sometimes on other things as well).  Whatever works. 

• Like 1