Oh no!!! I may be in trouble.

I booked a cruise today to take my daughters and grandchildren on a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) on the Freedom of the Seas.  It's a 7 night visiting the Western Caribbean before returning back to Port Everglades.  We were recently on a cruise to the Bahamas out of Charleston, SC and the grandchildren did not need passports.  They used their official birth certificates.   It was their first cruise and they had a wonderful time, so I thought I would surprise them with another cruise for Fall Break.   Never occurred to me that this cruise would be any different and they might need passports!   The cruise is suppose to go to Labadee, but I don't think that will be the case because of unrest.  However, I am reading that to go to Haiti, one must have a passport.  I am not sure about any of the other port stops.  Could someone tell me if a passport is necessary for this particular cruise?  I am not sure if we could get them in time for the cruise. Thank you!

Really!  I am currently doing a search on RCCL.  I feel better if there is something in writing.  The reason this is coming up is because my TA emailed me asking for "Legal passport names" for those in the other booked cabins.  My heart rate hit the roof!

I went to Labadee last year using my birth certificate and driver’s license (my passport was in the renewal process at the time). On a side note, odds are pretty good you won’t be going there. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

However, I am reading that to go to Haiti, one must have a passport.

Ignore that - it doesn't apply to cruise ship port stops.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Despite the comments above, why not actually go ahead and get passports for them?  It will bring you piece of mind and they may come in handy for their travels in the next 10 years.  

Also, although not strictly necessary for the OP's cruise it's very helpful to have a passport with you in case you are stranded in a foreign port, perhaps by a medical issue.  

• Like 8

No, you don't need the passports on closed loop US cruises.   

And no, you won't be going to Labadee (a highly guarded, gated off small peninsula on the north Coast of Haiti).  IMHO...that port of call might be going away for a long time.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jalves said:

Despite the comments above, why not actually go ahead and get passports for them?  It will bring you piece of mind and they may come in handy for their travels in the next 10 years.

Passports are only valid for 5 years if under 16 at time of application.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jalves said:

Also, although not strictly necessary for the OP's cruise it's very helpful to have a passport with you in case you are stranded in a foreign port, perhaps by a medical issue.  

Agree, if one can afford it get passports.  Not only a good idea but the kids would be excited to have one.  One note, depending on age the  passports might only be good for 5 years for children.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Really!  I am currently doing a search on RCCL.  I feel better if there is something in writing.  The reason this is coming up is because my TA emailed me asking for "Legal passport names" for those in the other booked cabins.  My heart rate hit the roof!

Google “WHTI” and you will see your grandchildren do NOT need a passport for your itinerary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jalves said:

51 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Passports are only valid for 5 years if under 16 at time of application.

As mentioned earlier, if needed, we would have had to check to see if we could get passports in time for the upcoming cruise.  If not, we would have had to cancel (payment being made today) and would plan a Disney trip. 

I was not aware that passports for children are only good for 5 years, is the cost less? 

Having asked the above, we do not plan on taking the grandchildren out of the country (other than on a cruise from U.S. to U.S.) until they are older teens or young adults (should we live that long!)  I am pretty sure that their parents will not be taking them anywhere out of the country within the next 5 years. Their dad does not like to travel.  Plus, they just finished a huge addition to their home, so unless they are invited by DH and l, there will be no traveling other than locally (beach, mountains, etc.)

Thank all so much for the information and advice!

3 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

As mentioned earlier, if needed, we would have had to check to see if we could get passports in time for the upcoming cruise.  If not, we would have had to cancel (payment being made today) and would plan a Disney trip. 

I was not aware that passports for children are only good for 5 years, is the cost less? 

Having asked the above, we do not plan on taking the grandchildren out of the country (other than on a cruise from U.S. to U.S.) until they are older teens or young adults (should we live that long!)  I am pretty sure that their parents will not be taking them anywhere out of the country within the next 5 years. Their dad does not like to travel.  Plus, they just finished a huge addition to their home, so unless they are invited by DH and l, there will be no traveling other than locally (beach, mountains, etc.)

Thank all so much for the information and advice!

Here's the fees: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/fees.html

Adult $165

Child $135

Yes, children's passports (under 16 at the time of application) are only good for five years.

You CAN pay an extra fee to get passports "expedited". $60 each, and cuts the processing time from 6-8 weeks to 2-3 weeks.  

I obviously don't know the situation, but...If the grandkids have a very low probability of ever going out of the country in the next 5 years, other than closed loop cruises from the USA, why spend the money on passports? 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I obviously don't know the situation, but...If the grandkids have a very low probability of ever going out of the country in the next 5 years, other than closed loop cruises from the USA, why spend the money on passports? 

Plus, both parents need to be at the passport appointment, it’s not always easy with work schedules.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yea, I love the people who say "get them a passport, you never know when you'll need it!"

I took a class trip in 87(?) to Europe.  Obviously needed a passport for that.  The next time I needed one? 2012.  

I agree a passport is the best ID to travel with.  But sometimes it's not worth the money or hassle (having both parents present as mentioned). 

3 hours ago, jalves said:

One thing that has been consistent on these forums for 20+ years:

• There are lots of folks regularly stressed about not having a passport, not getting one in time, etc.
  • I don't recall anyone ever complaining about actually having a passport

Most cruises I've been on, there has been at least one major medical issue that we heard of with a passenger.  The last thing you want to worry about in these situations is how you're going to get back into the US if you have to leave the ship.  Also the world is a volatile place- we take a lot for granted when things are normal but I am sure anyone cruising when COVID broke out felt a little better if they were onboard one of those ships with a passport when it was uncertain where, when, etc. they'd end up.

Also when getting off the ship there is normally a passport line and a birth certificate line.  I have seen some cases where the birth cert line is horrible.

Lastly it is far better to have a passport and not need it than vice versa.  One never knows what the future may bring.  For that reason I will never let mine expire (again).  Last year my renewal didn't come in time and even though I knew I could travel with a birth certificate it added stress that I'd personally rather not deal with again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jalves said:

Passports for under 18 are for 5 years

This will be my only comment on this. Even on a closed loop cruise, you are going to s different country. While the odds of something happening are small, what happens if there is an emergency that requires you to disembark before getting home? Without a passport, you will be heavily delayed getting home. This is why I will never leave the US without a passport.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

This will be my only comment on this. Even on a closed loop cruise, you are going to s different country. While the odds of something happening are small, what happens if there is an emergency that requires you to disembark before getting home? Without a passport, you will be heavily delayed getting home. This is why I will never leave the US without a passport.

I think the OP was asking if the kids actually needed the passports to cruise.  Answer: No...not needed on a closed loop cruise. 

Preferable, and a good idea?  Yes, I agree....but bottom line is the OP can take her kids and grandkids using their birth certificates.  

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

One more thing to worry about: If you have a passport, make sure they don't expire within 6 months of travel. Certain countries will not accept them. People have been prevented from boarding because of this.

Edited by Sizzlechest

51 minutes ago, Sizzlechest said:

One more thing to worry about: If you have a passport, make sure they don't expire within 6 months of travel. Certain countries will not accept them. People have been prevented from boarding because of this.

Name 5.  

If you can cruise with a BC, you can use a passport that's going to expire within 6 months. 

• Like 3