Anyone live from /onboard Harmony or other "out of Galveston" ships right now?

Just got to our room on Harmony, bags unpacked and settled in. 

So far it’s been a normal day as far as boarding process is concerned. The crowds seem normal and leads one to conclude that very few cancelled. 

Sitting on the balcony now, compared to this morning it’s very calm and quiet. Sun is shining and skies are blue. On the drive down the sea wall this morning from our hotel it was incredibly windy, and the swells were large. 

We are still on schedule for 1600 departure. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Tropical conditions aren't supposed to start in Galveston until later tonight.

Harmony likely will be a bit bumpy for a while though once you set sail. It'll be a stiff headwind.

If anyone impacted it will be mariner tomorrow morning I'd think. 

2 minutes ago, George C said:

Does anyone who drove , have worries of leaving car in Galveston with hurricane coming?

We have 5 cars in the North Lot; we drove down from Dallas yesterday. 

Can’t say I am worried, it is what it is at this point; but talking to the island residents the last 24 hours or so; they are relatively confident that the lions share of rain will fall on Houston; and the predicted storm surge is well managed on this side of the island. 

We will see soon enough. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Can’t say I am worried, it is what it is at this point; but talking to the island residents the last 24 hours or so; they are relatively confident that the lions share of rain will fall on Houston; and the predicted storm surge is well managed on this side of the island. 

We will see soon enough. 

If you remember please come back and tell us how the parking worked out. I’d like to know for future reference since we always drive to Galveston, sometimes in hurricane season. 

25 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

We will see soon enough. 

We are definitely in the minority we fly from Dallas to hobby when cruising from Galveston. 

29 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

If you remember please come back and tell us how the parking worked out. I’d like to know for future reference since we always drive to Galveston, sometimes in hurricane season. 

I certainly will 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

We will see soon enough. 

Beryl is planned to go in at Port Lavaca/Matagorda between 1 AM - 2 AM Monday morning.

Galveston will have low tide overnight with storm surge predicted at 2-5 ft.  We had higher tides and storm surge with localized flooding from Alberto which is not expected with Beryl other than West end, which is just above sea level and not behind the seawall.Rain fall less than 6 ", winds 60-75 MPH.

Beryl is fast moving so will not dump a lot pf rain and the winds will dissipate.Tuesday to be sunny and hot.

Will post tomorrow after storm

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Galveston Cruiser said:

Beryl is planned to go in at Port Lavaca/Matagorda between 1 AM - 2 AM Monday morning.

Galveston will have low tide overnight with storm surge predicted at 2-5 ft.  We had higher tides and storm surge with localized flooding from Alberto which is not expected with Beryl other than West end, which is just above sea level and not behind the seawall.Rain fall less than 6 ", winds 60-75 MPH.

Beryl is fast moving so will not dump a lot pf rain and the winds will dissipate.Tuesday to be sunny and hot.

Will post tomorrow after storm

Please do, I would gain much peace of mind knowing how things are there. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Fortunately the storm didn't strengthen much today.

One of my wife’s coworkers had her car destroyed in Galveston after a hurricane but that was a category 5 , hopefully with a one there will be no serious damage. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, George C said:

One of my wife’s coworkers had her car destroyed in Galveston after a hurricane but that was a category 5 , hopefully with a one there will be no serious damage. 

There has never been a hurricane that hit Texas as a category 5.

Edited by time4u2go

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Please do, I would gain much peace of mind knowing how things are there. 

Magnificent sunset tonight.

Hope the sailors motto stays true:

red sky at night, sailors delight; red sky in morning, sailors warning.

Will post tomorrow.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

There has never been a hurricane that hit Texas as a category 5.

Well, they didn’t rate storms in 1900,

But we Galvestonians would consider it a 5 since 8,000 to 10,000 people died in the deadliest natural disaster in U S history.

Hurricane Ike, a category 2, was in 2008 and covered the majority of the island with storm surge that came from the bay side.  Completely wiped out Bolivar Peninsula with the exception of one house.

Edited by Galveston Cruiser
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Galveston Cruiser said:

Well, they didn’t rate storms in 1900,

But we Galvestonians would consider it a 5 since 8,000 to 10,000 people died in the deadliest natural disaster in U S history.

Hurricane Ike, a category 2, was in 2008 and covered the majority of the island with storm surge that came from the bay side.  Completely wiped out Bolivar Peninsula with the exception of one house.

Actually the 1900 storm was estimated to be a category 4 but obviously they didn't have the same measurements that they do now.

Posted (edited)

Idk if I get regular weather, I get fox weather here. But they just showed Galveston and the water breached on sea wall. Surge was 3 ft and enough to come in on the deep side. Power out. Glad I didnt park there. Lost my car to hurricane Ike.

Right after crusing resumed a cat 1 came in, didnt hardly make the news but I had water must have come thru my drivers door, seal wasnt good enough. I was parked at lighthouse that time. I still have salt marks on my drivers seat but no other damage and water receded befor I got home. 

So twice I've had cars parked went thru hurricanes. So I have a good reason not to park there during hurricanes. 

Edited by firefly333

5 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Actually the 1900 storm was estimated to be a category 4 but obviously they didn't have the same measurements that they do now.

Estimate.  The wind gauge blew off early in the storm.

unable to report if any flooding at port.  Our street is flooded and lost power at 7:30 am.

Most of island has no power, trees, light poles, electric lines are down all over.  City asking everyone to shelter in place for now.

Rain has stopped, wind at 42 mph with gusts to 61 mph.

will post again later

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1