Water Bottles on Celebrity

40 minutes ago, horseymike said:

The edges on the cap for the aluminum water bottles were similar to a razor once unscrewed. 

Yeah pretty much. I'd get the bartender to open the can then  pour into a glass. I have arthritis in my hands and its not fun.   I'm Elite plus and  now only use the bottles if I'm going on an excursion. Certainly would never pay to buy them.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2024 at 7:45 AM, zitsky said:

Or if you have a muscle tremor not entirely fixed by medication!  

Many people bring their own water bottle and fill up around the ship using a clean glass or cup to fill it.  Plus the tap water from your cabin sink is perfectly drinkable.  I drink it all the time even when my husband says to drink the bottled water.  I leave that for him since he is more particular.

That's what we do. Cruise ship water standards are actually higher than standards for drinking water back home.

• Like 3

On 7/7/2024 at 8:45 AM, zitsky said:

Many people bring their own water bottle and fill up around the ship using a clean glass or cup to fill it.  

Have you observed what people actually do when they are refilling their water bottles?  Very few do it in a sanitary fashion.  Won't catch me there.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Actually the ship's water probably has less contaminants than the natural spring water you think you are getting in those bottles. 

For me, it's just knowing the ship's pipes can and do on occasion produce brown/black water which is a huge and preventable "oops".  Thanks to a whistleblower we learned about Princess's "magic pipe" and we know cruise ships don't always follow the rules.  The Edge just recently got too close to Kauai's Na Pali.  Mistakes can and do happen and the outcome can result in brown/black water flowing through the pipes

And I know someone's going to say "Drinking the brown/black water is fine", which is literally and figuratively telling someone to drink the Kool-Aid...lol

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

I get wanting to save the earth, but I am often confused by the choices made. I’m currently on Silver Seas in Iceland where everyone is pleased they give use reusable water bottles and paper straws. However, the air temp is in the 50s at best and the large pool and hot tubs are well over 90f and few use them.  When I asked why the pool is heated they said guests complain if it’s too cold.  The amount of energy required to heat them is astronomical. 🤔

1 hour ago, keesar said:

Have you observed what people actually do when they are refilling their water bottles?  Very few do it in a sanitary fashion.  Won't catch me there.

Nope not me. I go to the aqua spa and fill a glass with ice water then fill my water bottle.  I assume they are cleaned properly at the end of the day. Hope so. 

On 7/7/2024 at 10:38 AM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Is the a religious thing ? 🤔

I always thought people should pay attention to reducing waste and recycling 😉

if you worried about water containers , and don’t like the taste of the ships water , even though everything is made with it eg ice , soup, bread etc

Get a Brita filter bottle to go https://www.brita.ca/water-bottles/

we have a nice travel size Brita filter pitcher.. It's .easy to pack, simple to use!

But I also bring on a few btls of Spring Water

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

For me, it's just knowing the ship's pipes can and do on occasion produce brown/black water which is a huge and preventable "oops".  Thanks to a whistleblower we learned about Princess's "magic pipe" and we know cruise ships don't always follow the rules.  The Edge just recently got too close to Kauai's Na Pali.  Mistakes can and do happen and the outcome can result in brown/black water flowing through the pipes

And I know someone's going to say "Drinking the brown/black water is fine", which is literally and figuratively telling someone to drink the Kool-Aid...lol

The so-called magic pipe on Princess had absolutely nothing to do with drinking water, and the possibilities of bad pipes exist everywhere, including in your own home. There are physical connections between some bilge and grey/black water systems that are easily bypassed and/or crossed, because they use the same pumps and oil/water separators and detectors. That's what happened with Princess. There is no physical connection between drinking water and grey/black water systems on a cruise ship, so they cannot be accidentally 'crossed' or easily bypassed.

1 minute ago, omahabob said:

The so-called magic pipe on Princess had absolutely nothing to do with drinking water, and the possibilities of bad pipes exist everywhere, including in your own home. There are physical connections between some bilge and grey/black water systems that are easily bypassed and/or crossed, because they use the same pumps and oil/water separators and detectors. That's what happened with Princess. There is no physical connection between drinking water and grey/black water systems on a cruise ship, so they cannot be accidentally 'crossed' or easily bypassed.

Correct and I never said the magic pipe (for dumping) had anything to do with faucet water.  I'll remove my reference to "black water" since that's an official term and will just use the informal term "dirty brown water" from now on.  I am most bothered there aren't more fail-safes to prevent dirty brown water from flowing through the pipes; in a single word for me it's "distrust".  I don't understand why there isn't more effort to prevent this.  There are threads, some with pics, that show dirty brown water happening.  I have never seen anything other than clear water coming out of my home's faucets.  I also want to mention I doubt it's just X's ships and is probably the majority of the cruise ships

Fair enough. But I've seen a lot more brown water come out of home faucets than cruise ship faucets. Your home plumbing is also not subject to the standards, testing and inspections that cruise ship drinking water is. Even the municipal water systems that supply our homes have lower requirements than cruise ships. Also keep in mind that the water in your cabin is the same water that's dispensed in the food venues, that's used to prepare your food, and that's used to mix many drinks at the bar. You aren't avoiding ship's water by buying bottled water.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, omahabob said:

Fair enough. But I've seen a lot more brown water come out of home faucets than cruise ship faucets. Your home plumbing is also not subject to the standards, testing and inspections that cruise ship drinking water is. Even the municipal water systems that supply our homes have lower requirements than cruise ships. Also keep in mind that the water in your cabin is the same water that's dispensed in the food venues, that's used to prepare your food, and that's used to mix many drinks at the bar. You aren't avoiding ship's water by buying bottled water.

Avoiding the ship water is probably unavoidable but I do my best to minimize it.  When it comes to the food, they usually heat the water.  I've never been an ice guy and request sparkling water which comes from a can/bottle.  Essentially utilize the same protocols as visiting a 3rd word country

Obviously everyone makes their own choices, but I see no reason to treat a cruise ship like a 3rd word country. I don't typically visit 3rd word countries.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gcornell said:

The amount of energy required to heat them is astronomical. 🤔

You do realize that energy is produced as a byproduct of the ship's propulsion system right?  Hot water / steam for heat on ships is produced by using the engine's exhaust systems.  Also electricity is produced by generators onboard the ship, whose exhaust is also used to produce heat/steam.  

• Like 3

On 7/7/2024 at 10:38 AM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Is the a religious thing ? 🤔

I always thought people should pay attention to reducing waste and recycling 😉

if you worried about water containers , and don’t like the taste of the ships water , even though everything is made with it eg ice , soup, bread etc

Get a Brita filter bottle to go https://www.brita.ca/water-bottles/

I have an Asobu double walled thermos with blue tooth technology.  Keeps drinks cold up to 24 hours. The lid charges ear buds when not in use.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

You do realize that energy is produced as a byproduct of the ship's propulsion system right?  Hot water / steam for heat on ships is produced by using the engine's exhaust systems.  Also electricity is produced by generators onboard the ship, whose exhaust is also used to produce heat/steam.  

Interesting. I did not know that. Thank you