Question about Antarctic Waters (NOT the Drake's Passage, but actually cruising in Antarctica)

We know that we will be doing one of Silversea's "Bridge" cruises so as to fly directly to King George and avoid crossing the Drake Passage. My question is, after that, when cruising in Antarctica itself, given that we are going to be on a very small ship (Endeavor)... are the waters in the actual Antarctic region traditionally calm? I realize that in that part of the world the weather can be extremely unpredictable... just looking to get a general sense. Thanks!

Posted (edited)

The waters are almost always calm. The Antarctic Peninsula interrupts the circumpolar current of the Southern Ocean, which makes the waters converge at the Drake Passage. Thus the Drake is rough, but the waters are smooth around the Peninsula.

PS the flights can get interesting due to weather as well. One of my friends is a tour guide in Santiago who flew down with a group of passengers to take them to the ship. Turns out that only one of the planes could make it (hers) so she got a free cruise while the rest of the paying passengers were stuck in Santiago until the landing conditions were safe for flying again. There are multiple ways that weather can mess with you on this trip.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2

Generally yes, waters were calm.  However when transiting between landings, particularly overnight, things might get a bit rocky.

12 hours ago, captainoftheship said:

We know that we will be doing one of Silversea's "Bridge" cruises so as to fly directly to King George and avoid crossing the Drake Passage. My question is, after that, when cruising in Antarctica itself, given that we are going to be on a very small ship (Endeavor)... are the waters in the actual Antarctic region traditionally calm? I realize that in that part of the world the weather can be extremely unpredictable... just looking to get a general sense. Thanks!

The expedition ship masters for all of the cruise lines are well versed in locating sheltered waters in order to provide pax with the calmest possible experience. Your starting point in the South Shetlands automatically provides some leeward protection, and once at the peninsula, there are numerous islands and bays that are good refuges.

That said, there is a reason that the Southern Ocean is respected by mariners - below latitude 55 south, there is nothing that can interrupt the prevailing westerly winds and storms. They circle the planet at full force. So, there is always the chance of a very long 10 hours on the 100 nm trip to and from King George. Come prepared and be flexible is the best advice.

You'll have a remarkable experience - enjoy! 🍺🥌

• Like 1

We did the Puerto Williams -> Falklands -> South Georgia -> Antarctic Peninsula -> Puerto Williams last November and had an amazingly calm time..

As suggested above the peninsula itself was a near millpond throughout, with activities on the zodiacs entirely calm. Whilst I note that you will not be subjected to the Drake our crossing was 'the lake' not 'the shake' which to some was disappointing !

The only 'choppy' area was around Elephant Island which was a bit rough on the zodiacs but no problem once back onboard Endeavour.