Motion on Vista Class

nanashirl

We have booked Alaska in June on Westerdam.

Have read a lot of posts about motion sickness.

We sailed the Conquest and didn't even feel the ship moving.

I do have a problem with motion sickness but no problem on it.

Are the Vista class ships that much smaller that there is more of a problem with motion?

Sure hope not. We are really excited about going on HA.

We have booked Alaska in June on Westerdam.

Have read a lot of posts about motion sickness.

We sailed the Conquest and didn't even feel the ship moving.

I do have a problem with motion sickness but no problem on it.

Are the Vista class ships that much smaller that there is more of a problem with motion?

Sure hope not. We are really excited about going on HA.

I have been on 2 of the Vista Class ships: the Westerdam and the Zuiderdam. I will be on the Oosterdam in December. I doubt you will feel anything on these large ships other than perhaps some slight vibration while seated for dinner in the Rotterdam dining room (aft). I haven't felt much vibration on the smaller R or S class ships.

You will love the Westerdam and love Alaska too.

Bon voyage!

Hi there!:) Just a small heads up; a ship's motion is caused by the ocean and depends on such things as the direction of the currents, wind strength and direction and overall weather along your route. Sheltered cruising grounds, such as Alaska's Inside Passage, tend to make for calmer voyages than those across open ocean. Still, it comes down to what kind of weather you'll be having as far as what kind of motion you'll be feeling. The Vista's are pretty good size and, although a good 28,000 tons smaller than Carnival's Conquest, ride real smooth. Similar to an airline pilot, your captain will do whatever he can to make your ride as smooth as possible! Have an awesome cruise; Alaska is beautiful:)

Any size ship can feel the ocean's fury if you are in the right waters. The key to not getting sick is to be constantly aware of the weather and ocean conditions. As soon as the ocean starts to change for the worse, I take bonine, and go have a snack. I have found that an empty stomach is a sure prescription for motion sickness, and drugs like bonine take forever to work if you wait until you feel unwell.

Last December on the Maasdam we had extremely high seas (some of the highest waves splashed on the windows of the Crow's Nest and we had better than Gale force winds). The Maasdam is smaller than the Vista class ships and she took the motion as well as she could. I took my bonine and had an early breakfast. My DH and I were fine all day though many on board (including the crew and much crockery were not). Others use crystallized ginger, sea bands etc. No matter what you do the key to avoiding discomfort is to act before you get uncomfortable. Once ill the road back takes much longer.

AND, of course, do not let it ruin your cruise. Even when the seas are bad it seldom lasts more than a few hours, a day at most. The captains do a wonderful job of avoiding difficult weather whenever possible. If you are prepared to deal with the seas on the off chance that they will rise, you will have a great cruise.

When will you be on the Westerdam? We are booked for June 11.

I just got off the Noordam, and for all but a few hours of the 10 days felt that I was on land. That last day (haeding back to NYC) we had a storm and I still barely felt a thing.

I would say that in Alaska the Vista's should be smooth as silk.

Arzz - we are going on June 4.

I think that most of the posting about motion were people in the aft cabins. We have a SZ guarantee so don't know where we will end up.

Hope it is in the middle of ship.

I took bonine last cruise every day just to be on the safe side and didn't have any problems.

We cruised aboard the Westerdam last week in the Caribbean and did not notice much motion. Even though our cabin was pretty far aft on Main Deck (1115), we did not have a problem with motion or vibration. Our cabin contained a sign stating that noise and vibration might be experienced during maneuvering in port, but we didn't feel anything.

The Westerdam is an excellent ship that I highly recommend!

No motion Ruth? How in the hell do you know you are on the sea without some motion?

Though I would not recommend the seas that we dealt with in December, there has to be at least a little something! I knew there was another reason I am not too swift on the Vista class. Come to think of it, there was no motion last June on the Zuiderdam...

Nanashirl -- have a great time on June 4 and please, keep the ship in good shape for us. As usual, I, too, am booked on a guarantee (I really care very little where I am as long as it is a cruise ship). Let us know how things are on board!

No motion Ruth? How in the hell do you know you are on the sea without some motion?

Exactly. For the most part the seas were at 1.5-2.5 feet. It was called "wavelets" on the information board.

Except for the couple of hours I mentioned they peaked at 4 feet. I've been in bathtubs with more turbulance. :rolleyes:

Exactly. For the most part the seas were at 1.5-2.5 feet. It was called "wavelets" on the information board.

Except for the couple of hours I mentioned they peaked at 4 feet. I've been in bathtubs with more turbulance. :rolleyes:

Ruth- Sounds like you need to head back to the North Atlantic, you are sure to feel the ship there! :D (You might not be able to see it in the fog though!:rolleyes: )

Archived