Independence on August 29th - Chartered?

Hey all. Just booked 2 cabins on Indy for labour day weekend (4 day sailing on August 29th) for my family. Only dining time available was 5 pm. Ouch. That's early. Waitlisted our group for 7:30 pm when I reserved online but did call in to check on being switched right away to it. Dining department was closed and I was advised to call back on Monday. No problem. However, the rep (who was super friendly btw) did tell me that MyTime dining was not available as it was 'chartered'. Asked to clarify and she said 'MyTime' had been chartered by a group. Couldn't tell me more, including what the group was. If it's booked for a group, it must be a big group as that would be a third of the dining room. Now, we're worried such a big group will alter our cruise experience, including not being able to get MyTime dining. Anyone know what this could be? Thanks!

It's possible there is a large group on board, but it's not a charter. If it were a charter, you wouldn't be able to book the cruise. My guess is that MTD is just full.

25 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

It's possible there is a large group on board, but it's not a charter. If it were a charter, you wouldn't be able to book the cruise. My guess is that MTD is just full.

But a large group that would have taken up all of MyTime capacity?

And any idea what a group like that could be? Wondering what to expect on the cruise. Any way to find out?

2 minutes ago, steilkurve said:

And any idea what a group like that could be? Wondering what to expect on the cruise. Any way to find out?

Could be a corporate group as a reward or for a conference, an MLM group, religious group. There's nothing obvious from a Google search. One cruise I was on had 1400 people from the same MLM group as an earned benefit. Except for the fact that they all dressed in aqua colored t shirts, you would never have noticed there was a group onboard. 

35 minutes ago, steilkurve said:

Maybe the term is partially chartered. Our harmony cruise is partially chartered by a music tour. They couldn't sell enough cabins to book the whole cruise. Any of us can buy a bracelet to let us hear the bands for about $500 now, it was cheaper before. I'm on b4b and its 1 of 4 weeks. Just interesting week to share with music groups.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MommaBear55 said:

Could be a corporate group as a reward or for a conference, an MLM group, religious group. There's nothing obvious from a Google search. One cruise I was on had 1400 people from the same MLM group as an earned benefit. Except for the fact that they all dressed in aqua colored t shirts, you would never have noticed there was a group onboard. 

Hope it’ll be the same for us. If indeed all of MyTime has been reserved for that group, it’s kinda of a bummer for all of us who would have expected to all of Royal’s typical offering.

50 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Maybe the term is partially chartered. Our harmony cruise is partially chartered by a music tour. They couldn't sell enough cabins to book the whole cruise. Any of us can buy a bracelet to let us hear the bands for about $500 now, it was cheaper before. I'm on b4b and its 1 of 4 weeks. Just interesting week to share with music groups.

The rep did say chartered. How did Royal inform you of the partial charter? 

42 minutes ago, steilkurve said:

Royal hasnt told me anything though I didnt ask. I saw the ad for them. Says chartered, except I'm also booked that date. 

https://www.texascountrymusiccruise.com/

I'm also booked the same date and ship. Someone asked a couple of times and now to just buy the bracelet to see the music it can be purchased for $500 if we want to see the music. I think it was only $400 before, they now want $500. Just selling a bracelet to see the music.we are past final payment. I dont know how they can be selling group space. Maybe I'll hear some good music. Who knows, I like country. 

11 hours ago, steilkurve said:

Royal does not inform you of any type of partial charter.

We have experienced this several times over the years, it’s really not a big deal and you really don’t even notice the groups for the most part. 
The only time Royal will contact you about a charter is if it is a full ship charter and your cruise has been canceled

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Royal does not inform you of any type of partial charter.

We have experienced this several times over the years, it’s really not a big deal and you really don’t even notice the groups for the most part. 
The only time Royal will contact you about a charter is if it is a full ship charter and your cruise has been canceled

Thanks. We’ve seen groups on cruises before but this is the first time, for us anyway, a ship feature is completely unavailable as a result. You literally couldn’t select MTD, even as a waitlist option. This is why we wonder what else is going to be different on that cruise?

Edited by steilkurve

We were on an Oasis years ago and there were 1,000 from one of the popular at the time companies like lululemon (but I don’t think it was them). They had a couple of events that closed areas for a short time, like the boardwalk.  But it was fine, kind of fun.

10 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We were on an Oasis years ago and there were 1,000 from one of the popular at the time companies like lululemon (but I don’t think it was them). They had a couple of events that closed areas for a short time, like the boardwalk.  But it was fine, kind of fun.

That’s reassuring. Thanks.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, steilkurve said:

You literally couldn’t select MTD, even as a waitlist option.

That may change when you get on board. Don't equate RCI IT ineptitude with reality on the ship.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, steilkurve said:

Thanks. We’ve seen groups on cruises before but this is the first time, for us anyway, a ship feature is completely unavailable as a result. You literally couldn’t select MTD, even as a waitlist option. This is why we wonder what else is going to be different on that cruise?

There are also at least two other variables at play here.

1. You booked relatively last minute, that can have an influence on what is available.

2. The more likely situation is you were given bad information from Royal CS and/or IT.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

There are also at least two other variables at play here.

1. You booked relatively last minute, that can have an influence on what is available.

2. The more likely situation is you were given bad information from Royal CS and/or IT.

Enjoy your cruise.

True that. A rather last minute booking. That said, if it was available, wouldn’t MTD at least show up as a waitlist option? It didn’t event show up in the waitlist drop down for me online, or the rep on the phone.

16 minutes ago, steilkurve said:

True that. A rather last minute booking. That said, if it was available, wouldn’t MTD at least show up as a waitlist option? It didn’t event show up in the waitlist drop down for me online, or the rep on the phone.

I must admit, I have never done MTD (I rather avoid the MDR as much as possible),as such I can not speak to whether or not MTD has a waitlist.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I must admit, I have never done MTD (I rather avoid the MDR as much as possible),as such I can not speak to whether or not MTD has a waitlist.

I believe it does. I made another booking (stopping short of paying) for another cruise and MTD showed up as a waitlist option.

Edited by steilkurve

Closing the loop on this one. Called again today to move to late dining (7:30). New rep didn't seem to know about the charter thing (or partial charter I guess) but was able to put me on the late sitting so we're happy. 

• Thanks 1

So, called again this morning. Asked why My Time dining was not available. This time, the rep said the system said ‘completed’ for that option. His explanation was that the option was sold out and the wait list full. Is that a thing? The My Time wait list can be full? 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, though that doesn’t mean they can’t accommodate you once you board. 

Ok. Thanks! That would also explain why both early and late sitting now show as open for that sailing. Everybody flocked to MyTime. 

Edited by steilkurve

12 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

There is no "normal" . they vary even week to week

We have Late seating- 7:45 (I guess it could be 7:30) on the Freedom.  Like that so much better than 8:30 - 8:45 that we have had in the past, especially on European cruises.  Loved it when we were younger, but not anymore.

1 minute ago, Iamthesea said:

We have Late seating- 7:45 (I guess it could be 7:30) on the Freedom.  Like that so much better than 8:30 - 8:45 that we have had in the past, especially on European cruises.  Loved it when we were younger, but not anymore.

Agreed. We haven’t had fixed time in years and remembered 8 pm as the late seating. So, pleasantly surprised about 7:30 pm, actually.